Jockey Journal Forum banner

1977 ironhead battery??

2K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  joe49 
#1 ·
I have a 77 ironhead chopper, electric start only that needs a battery and i'm struggling to find concise requirements for the bike. the original builder also made a stupid small battery tray so that's making it even harder to find something that will work.

so far my understanding is that the bike needs 12v, 28ah and 280cca to be happily running, though in all honesty i'm not sure what all that means. i get cca is important for starting, but how can one battery with 280cca have 28ah and another with 280cca have only 10? i can't work it out...

anyway i appreciate any help anyone can offer. some recommendations for a good small battery would be great, or am i better off making a battery tray that will accommodate an ordinary battery? that's always possible but i'd like to avoid it if there's a drop in and go battery available.

Thanks very much guys

#3 ·
If you measure and such, you can find common battery "footprints" and terminal locations and find the one that works for your custom battery box. I can help you with that if needed. Personally, I like to use common, easy-to-find batteries for my chops. I've broken down before and waltzed into Wal*Mart, and come out whistling and I'm back on the road without much effort. Sure beats trying to fine some exotic size that needs to be shipped in to whatever podunk burg where ya just fried your battery...

CCA is the amount of amperage available for 30 seconds at 32° for starting.
Amp-hours are a measure of smaller amounts of current provided over time. Assuming you have a functioning charging system, this number is probably far less important to you.

#7 ·
this problem comes around time & time again,
It seems a lot of bikes are being built without the thought of what Battery is needed for reliable running, & then being sold on 1/2 finished & 1/2 thought out,..
Leodavut, you are trying to do the right thing that the original builder didn't think about, end of the day about the best way to fit a good size battery is an in the oil tank type carriers, there are many available from Horsehoe to spun alluminium & I for one would recommend getting one that suits the lines of the bike, if you post some Pictures of what you have and are working with will be usefull....

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.