Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
My 77 had both instruments in stamped holders that mounted to the fork top nuts. Mine had NVH logos and I expect your's would've as well. I may have one if you need it but I'd have to dig a bit to be sure....:eek:

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My 77 had both instruments in stamped holders that mounted to the fork top nuts. Mine had NVH logos and I expect your's would've as well. I may have one if you need it but I'd have to dig a bit to be sure....:eek:
thanks.. I sent you a pm.. my gages look like the one in the link above that shades34 posted..

·
Registered
172 Posts
NVH ? or NVT

1976 is a year model not a model descriptor, the engine and frame number will tell the whole story, probably pretty rare now, but triumph & norton shipped many variants of military and police models across the British commonwealth, many of these had different spec or special instruments.

Short answer a "bonneville" should have a speedometer and tachometer, but back when you could order on the factory many variations were possible.

·
Registered
171 Posts
My memories getting bad, was it NVT? Makes sense, Norton Villiers Triumphs? Or am I totally out at sea? Back in 81 I knew all the details...:confused:

Wow, I apologize for wasting your time. After a dig around I find an empty rubber cup and chrome mounting bracket. I have no idea where the instrument went...

I looked in the appropriate drawers but didn't see anything.

My apologies, Steve

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
NVH ? or NVT

1976 is a year model not a model descriptor, the engine and frame number will tell the whole story, probably pretty rare now, but triumph & norton shipped many variants of military and police models across the British commonwealth, many of these had different spec or special instruments.

Short answer a "bonneville" should have a speedometer and tachometer, but back when you could order on the factory many variations were possible.
not sure what NVH or NVT means :confused: But am still looking for a tach with the white/blue logo. GT6Steve couldn't find the one he thought he had. No hurry though..

·
Registered
172 Posts
The blue white logo is NVT (Norton Villiers Triumph) if you have the number at the bottom of the speedo I can tell you the matching tach.
The funny part is in 76 its 50/50 could be a smiths, or an Italian Veglia.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
The blue white logo is NVT (Norton Villiers Triumph) if you have the number at the bottom of the speedo I can tell you the matching tach.
oh.. okay then mine is NVT.. The bike came without a tach or speedo.. It was mfg'd in December '76. I already got a NVT speedo coming so thats what I want the tach to be.;)

My '79 which I have always regreted getting rid of.. a Special, prestine with 10K miles.. for 1500.00 had the Veglia's.. This '76 has much erased my regret.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I own a 79 T140E that was my fathers, I have a pic somewhere, 79 T140 Bonneville with Italian clocks & German carbs, 79 Ducatti with smiths clocks, Beemer airhead with same carbs as my factory Bonny

its all good

·
Registered
48 Posts
The Veglias started sometime in the 1979 production run. They used Smiths on early 79s and Veglia when they ran out of Smiths. By 1976 the Meriden co-op was independant of NVT. The co-op manufactured the motorcycles and NVT distributed them as per terms of their settlement with the co-op. Check out this website for original ads and brochures of Triumph motorcyles: http://www.classicbike.biz/

Scott

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I own a 79 T140E that was my fathers, I have a pic somewhere, 79 T140 Bonneville with Italian clocks & German carbs, 79 Ducatti with smiths clocks, Beemer airhead with same carbs as my factory Bonny

its all good
Cool.. The other Triumph I owned was this '71..tore it all apart and rebuild it caveman style in my florida room.. rattle can paint job.. I bought a 73 and put the disc's on the '71 (see the go cart rear master cylinder bolted on the frame?? ;) ) Sold it for 150.00 and left the '73 in pieces in the backyard when I moved.. Damn.. If I knew what I knew now.. :(

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The Veglias started sometime in the 1979 production run. They used Smiths on early 79s and Veglia when they ran out of Smiths. By 1976 the Meriden co-op was independant of NVT. The co-op manufactured the motorcycles and NVT distributed them as per terms of their settlement with the co-op. Check out this website for original ads and brochures of Triumph motorcyles: http://www.classicbike.biz/

Scott
Hey, thanks.. missed your post while I was posting! :)

·
Registered
172 Posts
The Veglias started sometime in the 1979 production run.

Scott
My mistake, I know someone who owns a 77 silver jubilee with Veglia clocks on it, I always assumed it was nut and bolt correct, obviously it has had instruments changed at some stage, maybe he has the smiths clocks stashed away somewhere.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I must be getting old, either that or I don't pay much attention to instruments, I just wen't to take some pics of the NVT logo on a project, I don't even remember where these Dommiracer clocks came from let alone fitting them...this means there is a box somewhere with some smiths or veglia T140 instruments gathering dust

·
Registered
128 Posts
I too have a 79' Special, which is a T 140 D it has Veglia Guages.
I also have a 79' T140 E standard Bonneville it has Smiths .
I often wondered which or if both were correct to model.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I too have a 79' Special, which is a T 140 D it has Veglia Guages.
I also have a 79' T140 E standard Bonneville it has Smiths .
I often wondered which or if both were correct to model.
I know my one owner '79 Special had the Veglias so that is probably correct.. maybe a transition year and the still used Smiths on the standards??

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.