Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gettin rid of the swingarm frame on my 74 Sporty and I want to replace it with a rigid frame. Will a pre '70 frame be compatible with my motor, wheels, and so on? Everything on my bike is stock. I'm sure this question has been posted so would the moderators please leave it up long enuff for me to get a couple answers? Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Illinois isn't as spastic about things like this as other states. Although all it takes is the right cop. If the original frame and engine match the so will the #s. I've done the frame swap thing there and as long as the frame never had a stamping or a # boss I had no problem just because the bike was already titled in my name.

If you do this do it at your own risk and realize it isn't the "correct Legal" way to go.

What you could do is go to DMV and have the frame blue tagged and then you have your original titled frame to build another bike.

·
Registered
837 Posts
like you said, all it takes is the right cop... or one in another state that is spastic about things. i'll tell ya, it sucks sitting on the side of the road in another state watching your bike get towed away because the #s don't look kosher.

a buddy's bike got impounded when we were on a run. everything was 100% legit, but they didn't dig the #s. we spent the night in some podunk town waiting for morning when he was supposed to get the bike back. the only thing about that that wasn't horrid is we found a couple local gals, and more importantly found the best f'ing apple pie ever.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
Illinois isn't as spastic about things like this as other states. Although all it takes is the right cop. If the original frame and engine match the so will the #s. I've done the frame swap thing there and as long as the frame never had a stamping or a # boss I had no problem just because the bike was already titled in my name.

If you do this do it at your own risk and realize it isn't the "correct Legal" way to go.

What you could do is go to DMV and have the frame blue tagged and then you have your original titled frame to build another bike.
All states are going to enforce the law if they choose, 1970 and up Harley's are titled by frame numbers.

You can't just put that motor in a non-numbered frame because it's a 1974 and needs to have frame numbers.

Do things right, taking the easy way out may not be so easy down the road.

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have the title for the bike as is w/ the original frame. Does that make a difference at all? The guy has a bill of sale with the frame.

·
Registered
29 Posts
As I said before, I'd go and have the DMV blue tag the frame with the BOS and the current title and you still have the title for the old frame.

Was young and dumb when I did mine the other way.

Only other thing you could do is chop the neck off your frame and graft it to the Hardtail. then # still match.

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
I have the title for the bike as is w/ the original frame. Does that make a difference at all? The guy has a bill of sale with the frame.
You would have to do a special construction if you're using the aftermarket frame with a 1974 engine.

Why not just hardtail your titled frame, much easier.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.