Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I picked up this 1971 Triumph T120. Some HD Theater fan decided to make a cafe racer on a very low budget. My plan is to return it to stock probably the gold and black paint scheme. Currently it's Krylon black. These pics make the bike look pretty good actually, they are definitely deceiving!! Presently the bike won't kick over but she's not seized.

Right off there is a lot of obvious cosmetic stuff. The gauges are trash, the levers & bars are incorrect, the seat is a home made atrocity. A fin I busted off the motor. Front fender is missing, Headlight ears are wrong. Jc Whitney mufflers gotta go. Some dents in the tank.

Then we'll see what happened inside her guts over the years.

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Essoman,

I like it just the way it sits. If I saw this for sale on the side of the road, I probably would lose sleep that night thinking about it. I could probably walk into a Triumph shop and with other stock bikes around, I would pick this one. I say excellent find !! :cool:

I have a '71 TR6R...pretty much stock minus the mufflers (which I do have) and it is painted red. For mufflers I run the shorty megaphones.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Essoman,

I like it just the way it sits. If I saw this for sale on the side of the road, I probably would lose sleep that night thinking about it. I could probably walk into a Triumph shop and with other stock bikes around, I would pick this one. I say excellent find !! :cool:

I have a '71 TR6R...pretty much stock minus the mufflers (which I do have) and it is painted red. For mufflers I run the shorty megaphones.
While looking at the pics I can almost agree, however in person this thing needs help, And that seat... S.O.B. it is hard and way too wide, it's like sitting on a picnic table. But i only paid 1500 for it. Here is what I'm going for with the resto

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Carbs are cleaned and sync'd. It's a 1 kicker now fires right up! But the throttle is jacked up. I ordered a new one from Rabers as well as bars and levers. Engine seems strong, I didn't get into the cases at all just points, carbs, valve job and a battery and she came alive.

·
Registered
944 Posts
I suppose if that's the bike you always wanted it would be worth it, but since it's THE MOST disliked Triumph twin EVER and resale reflects that, I would be hesitant to sink 1000's in it to bring it back to it's former, hated, glory.

I rode a 71 for many years, it never bothered me. Still use the engine :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder...Ride and modify as you go..
Yah, they aren't making anymore Meridian Bonnevilles of any year. As the price goes up on the 69's, allbeit lessor,so does the price on the ugly step child OIF's. With the motor now running I'll be in this beast $3000.00 after paint. I think I'll be ok, however I'm not building it to sell. I got it cheap and knew I could get it together for a reasonable cost, and it will look good next to my 67 & 68 Triumph. You can't own one of every year without buying the duds right? Ha

·
Registered
1,823 Posts
Yeah man, I have always been a fan of the Gold and Black scheme. That is a very nice combo and the bike will look very nice when completed.

If you part with that seat, I might want to take it off of your hands if the price is right. :cool:

·
Registered
194 Posts
Of all the OIF Triumphs the 1971s are the ones to restore. After all it is the first year of the OIF. I agree it is not the best looking Triumph ever produced.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
They were a great looking great riding bike, can hardly wait to see the finished product.
Keep us posted.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sorry to get OT but was ESSO also over in the states? All old folks gets really nostalgic when they see old ESSO stuff cause it was one of the biggest gasstations here in Sweden in the old days. Also got the ESSO pinup girl tattooed on my leg
Yes, It was about 1972 Esso was replaced by Exxon in the States. Esso being the S.O. Of Standard Oil of course

Check out this commercial-

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
PARTS DAY

Its always good day when parts come in. Today I received my throttle cables, western Bars, grips & Levers. waiting on a seat from Burton still.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yeah man, I have always been a fan of the Gold and Black scheme. That is a very nice combo and the bike will look very nice when completed.

If you part with that seat, I might want to take it off of your hands if the price is right. :cool:
I'm not sure if I wan to sell the seat, I'll let you know, had other inquiries about it as well. For now I'm going to hang on to it.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I have a '72
tr-6 that I love. It's mostly stock except for common sense mods, oil filter, Boyer, EMGO Megs that look just like stock etc. Even though OIF's are considered to be the red-head stepchild, they actually have all the desirable factory engine upgrades and handle a lot better than pre OIF's. I got mine 2 years ago with 1,670 original miles and now have around 15,000 miles.

TD

1 - 20 of 22 Posts