Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Stick to what you know , Panheads, Knucks and Shovels

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
The A65 fell through, the owners clean papers were / are not so pristine. So now I'm looking at two bikes.

I don't have a lot of experience with British bikes so I don't know all the pros and cons of each, so which would you get and why?
Back story they look good in pictures and I can only get one bike right now.

The asking price for the Triumph is a little more than 1/2 price of the Super Rocket . I know I'm comparing a 500 vs a 650 but its a great 500.

Background I have an 08 Ultra as my daily go to work every day vehicle and 48 FL for weekend putts Looking for a British twin to add some electrical issues to my life.

1970 Triumph Daytona
1961 BSA A10R Super Rocket

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
personally I prefer BSA's over Triumphs,.. the A10 range are lovely bikes and built I believe with better overall quality, Triumph owners will not agree but as I said, it's MY personal preferance,... they are NOT as simple as Harleys so do not expect a quick throw together bike,done right they are quite fast & a real laugh to ride, also not as common as Triumphs .... you will need a few new tools & a good buddy with an engineering shop & many manuals and a lot of rescearch to choose one & what to do from day one of ya build, my buddy has had many and this is A Rocket Gold Star Replica he built a couple of years ago,.... best one I have ever seen, he sold it last year for £8500 (about $11500)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Under the circumstances, and being of a pragmatic turn of mind, I'd go for the Triumph as the less fiddly choice*. Parts have got to be more plentiful than A10 bits (= cheaper). If you want bragging rights, though, buy the BSA.

* And then I'd leave it alone in all the big ways, i.e., no hardtail.

·
Registered
278 Posts
brought up on Triumphs but the more i learn about Beezers the more i like 'em, mainly less oil leaks and i believe a more refined power plant.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
You have to make the decision ones a lot more modern than the other.
I restored a D1 bantam, plunger rear and fishtail exhausts, as a boy.
then always had triumphs.
Leaks can be fixed or reduced electrical system is not an issue if its not a 40 year old loom(with blue bullets all over it)

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
Given the choice I would take the BSA, but the Triumph has a lot of good points too.
Parts for both are pretty easy to find, as long as you know where to look. The BSA is a tad more unusual, but the T100 may be the best overall package Triumph ever put together.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I had my daughter drive me to Alabama, I looked at the T100R, took it for a quick ride. Made and deal and rode it back to Louisiana. Nice coastal putt, the bike rode well and made it back to the swamp in time to get a registration and plates, title will be ready for pick up tomorrow and the Triumph fits right in.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
Good stuff.

·
Registered
1,391 Posts
They're a nice little machine, especially on a good twisty back road. Congrats, you won't regret it. :)

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
there have been 2 British Bikes amongst many I have owned that I regret selling, first was my 1949 Panther 600 I chopped in about 76 & an 850MK2A Norton Commando I bought in 79,... I know Panthers are a tad slower than what your looking for but have you thought about an 850 Commando... bloody Lovely bikes, faster than either the Triumphs or BSA's, great on the bendy back lanes & sound amazing.... well worth a look at as you haven't decided yet.... this is my old Commando & one of it & a buddy with his C15 BSA back in about 79........

Attachments

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
I never thought I'd say it, but that Ceefer is cool.

·
Registered
272 Posts
A '70 Triumph Daytona is the only bike I regret selling.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Caff racers, (yes, thats how it's pronounced here in England where the style was invented, no french bullshit Cafaaaay here !!) were & still are popular here in England,
NOT what the young punk ass kids call a caff today, every & any cheap japper without a front mudguard & a piece of wood with 1/2 inch of foam & ya mums raincoat nailed to it for a seat,
they were the Isle Of Man TT race replicas of the day, big tank, clip ons, rear sets, humped seat & on some but not all, a handlebar fairing, that with a Commando lump kicking ya down the road is an amazing feeling only beaten by a Norvin done in the same manner IF you have the money to buy, build and use one as it should be used,
one thing here that helps, is that the Cop's are a hell of a lot more laid back & ain't out to bust you for everything & shoot ya at the same time for kicks,
'Scratching' is what it is known as, when ya go out on the country lanes early on a Saturday or Sunday morning when the roads are clear & empty, have ya an hour or two at full pelt folowed by a few pints when the pubs open at lunch time,..
something I can well recommend to anyone that side of the pond to try to come & do at least once in ya life.......i came here when I was 17 & stayed 40+ years,far too many cops & Troopers in NJ to have any fun without them shitting on ya day...........

·
Registered
278 Posts
I had my daughter drive me to Alabama, I looked at the T100R, took it for a quick ride. Made and deal and rode it back to Louisiana. Nice coastal putt, the bike rode well and made it back to the swamp in time to get a registration and plates, title will be ready for pick up tomorrow and the Triumph fits right in.
now go get the Beeza.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
now go get the Beeza.
That's exactly what my wife said.

However, I'll wait until I get this one sorted and then look for what's next. I know that a BSA is in my future, just not certain of what it will be, A10, A65, Rocket ?????

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
I finally bought a Beeza. 1966 A65L and some work I have been able to ride it to work the last two days. Now I need a mid 60s Bonneville and a Commando

·
Registered
1,742 Posts
Man. You're a serious shopper. You done good both times.

I've never owned a Lightning or a T100. Now I feel like I would've done well to venture out of the Bonneville rut where I dwelt for so many years!

Hope you'll post updates to your adventures in Limey Land as you put some mileage on those bikes.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts