Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I got a bit more done today, I picked up a barn fresh (matching numbers) 1969 T120R quite a while back and yes, it was rough, complete with clapped out 8" over fork tubes and other heinous low budget customization issues. One good thing was that it came with a valid Ontario registration. Once I got the tank off I saw that the frame had been raked by cutting out a section of the backbone and horizontal brace tube and the downtube was tweaked back and then the backbone etc was welded.

Anyway, I had a vintage narrow springer front end kicking around and, well, yes I buzzed off the fork stop portion of the lower neck stem and off went the steering lock extension as well as the tank mount.

I would never have done this if the frame hadn't been raked. I'll post some more photos etc as I go along. BTW, the funky twisted bars are a hoot. Great to be back, it's been too long. -Bill

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
Looks great. Perfect rake and short hardtail. I am so tired of that stock Triumph with a 2 foot longer hardtail "bobber" look.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, the coil bracket stamping between the backbone and horizontal brace is leaving too. Travel light I say. The mill is on the bench and it's well under way. I have a pristine set of 1.75 upswept pipes and an pair of cocktail shakers to go. The oil tank is an Elswick clamp on. The seat is a La Rosa. Rear fender is a Gasbox spun steel gem that hugs the profile of the Avon Safety Mileage MkII. Crazy, but I had most of this gear sitting around and it's only been recently that my job demands have changed and I can do the Mr. Potato Head assembly :cool:. I'll be posting progress pics as I get more and more done in the next while. I really appreciate your support/encouragement, -Bill

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
A few more progress photos. At the shop where I work we have a wet blaster that is heaven sent. It does all the right stuff, once the surfaces are restored to their former splendor, and rinse the heck out of your parts you immediately spray it down with isopropyl alcohol blow it all dry with compressed air and on the steel or cast parts a quick mist of oil or WD40 to prevent oxidation during storage before assembly.

It does a beauty job on the case halves and even the original engine case hardware is passable.

Sorry if I posted to many pix, oh well.

I had a Morgo big bore set up reserved for another project but it's going on this one instead. No time like the present I say.

Take care, see you next weekend, -Bill

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I took a few more photos once I clamped on a Flip tailed flat fender (pardon the vice grips), and a couple of different seats and a closer shot of the seriously old springer.

The seat is an old classic that my friends wife redid last year, they own a boat/yacht upholstery company so she did it in her spare time.

This other one is a Drag Specialties two piece Scorpion.

and a bit of a closer look at the front end.

Please let me know what you guys think as far as, what I oughta do with Mr. Potatohead, it's like presto change-o, thanks in advance for any input, -Bill

·
Registered
3,371 Posts
The first seat has an unfortunate shape and the piping along the side is overbearing. The Drag specialties seat is shorter and looks better. That way the sissy bar is more upright too. This will be a great looking bike.

·
Registered
1,425 Posts
Never ask for opinions on this board :)
If you're going for a 70's 'minimalist chopper' look, the old seat would be my choice...to me it just seems to flow better and the sissy bar seems more on the same angle as the forks. The Drag Specialties one just looks too bulky to my eye.
Engine is way too clean! :D

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Never ask for opinions on this board :)
If you're going for a 70's 'minimalist chopper' look, the old seat would be my choice...to me it just seems to flow better and the sissy bar seems more on the same angle as the forks. The Drag Specialties one just looks too bulky to my eye.
Engine is way too clean! :D
Goldy, wherabouts in NS are you?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts