Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,
so I am trying to get this trike going for my lady for too long.... speaking of long, story short, was gonna build her a low, she is short, rigid... then breast cancer came and took away her upper arm strength....

I said no worries, we will build a trike. Found a square swing arm modified to accept the differential from a servi-car, and off to the races... so I thought.
We found a 19 tooth motor sprocket and installed it .
Now we have
1969 FL 74 inch motor. runs great. had it running in a 1980 frame...
19 tooth Motor sprocket
37 tooth Clutch sprocket (fixed, cannot change)
23 tooth Transmission sprocket
37 tooth Differential sprocket (fixed, cannot change)

I believe this works out to 3.13 final ratio... Is this correct?

I have tried more than once to adjust this clutch... either smooth and slipping or chattering like a set of wind up dentures, but gripping and holding...

Questions,
What ratio do i have to shoot for to make this workable?

Is it possible to work this in the primary by using belts and pulleys? I know I know belts are for pants...

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Start over with the clutch

1 if it has original clutch discs they are over soaked with oil as they were made of pressed paper - and the steels do they have the ball and springs on the plates - you can re use BUT remove the ball and springs then put them after cleaned better yet glass beaded - on a piece of glass to insure they are flat — if they wobble throw away buy the flat with no ball and springs — the discs we only use USA alto red reasonable money great product

the clutch hub studs how deep are the ditches in the shafts - and the shafts could have been replaced by a moron and now the discs do not slide smooth and free on the 10 of them - if so drilling the holes to a W drill bit will help - but in the end if you were to hold the clutch up side down the entire works would just fall out <<<. This is what you want in movement pictures help to see what you might not

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Johnjzjz
thanks for the reply. I will do as you suggest and tar into the clutch again. I have the green thick Kevlars intere... I forget who makes them, and the steels were scuffed up on the cement.
They seemed to be flat when layed upon the marble sink cut out I use a low budget flatness plate.

What do you think about the ratios I posted... in the ball park or not?
Again Thanks
F

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
Will look up if i remember on the math book what you actually have in gear ratio but if i were to guess a 22 trans sprocket is also in the mix - did this but 30 years ago but a pan engine

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
3.13 is correct. If you change trans to a 22T that will get you 3.27. Which is the same as a 24Tx37T motor and 24Tx51T trans combo. Which will work fine as long as bike and OG aren't real thick, and no giant windshield is in the plans.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts