Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have wired a few brit bikes and a newer shovel but i have not messed with any harleys this old and have a few, well really a lot of questions. to start off my frind that i am wiring the bike for does not want to run a bat. i will be using the stock type regulator.

1 the generator on the bike is a harley unit with model 65 12v on it.
so i assume it is a 12 volt unit. there are 2 stud terminals on the generator. one is marked A and the other is marked F. witch of the terminals is posative and witch is negative? does this unit make AC or DC power?

2 is the regulator there are 5 terminals on it marked DF, D+, D-, B+, and 61. i have some idea what goes where but in stead of wasting time and space typing up what may be wright or just as likely wrong i will just ask. btw i dont have a clue what the 61 terminal is for. so could i get a quick run down of what the terminals are going to?

3 there was this capacitor mounted under the seat near the regulator. was this a stock item or is it some thing a previous owner installed? if the po did it i am thinking it was some thing used in a attempt to keep the lights brighter at idle. if so it might not be a bad idea to wire it or may be a new one in since my bud will not be running a bat. what terminal on the regulator would you land the wire from the capacitor? i am thinking what ever terminal you land the capacitor on would be the same one you would come off to go to your key switch for the lights. wright or wrong on that?

4 i have never had a bike with a magneto so i have a few questions in dealing with it. how do you cut the bike off ? i would think that you need to ground it out some way. i would like to control the mag with a keyed switch. there are no wires coming out of the mag so i need some info on what to do here. also can any one tell from the pics of the mag if that is the stock unit. i do know the advance retard cable has been jerry rigged but it works and the owner is happy with it.

the motor has run so all my bud wants is to get the wiring sorted out then go from there. thanks in advance for any of the much needed help.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
the a and f stand for armature and field. no instructions on the regulator? google search the part number. you should be able to get some answers from the company that made the regulator.

·
Registered
183 Posts
Afraid I can't help much, someone will come in later...

I believe the round boss on the outside of the mag is where a key
went. Turning the key grounded the mag internally. XLCH's were also
equipped with a momentary kill switch on the right handlebar.

You are correct about the capacitor - they were stock equipment.

·
Registered
61 Posts
That is a stock magneto.The kill switch stud for the mag is on the inside rear of the mag(close to the rear cyl top end oil line)all you need do is run a grounding button from the stud and push the button to ground the mag primary and stop the engine.The hole on the outside of the mag used to house a key switch,they failed with great regularity hence the empty hole.The big capacitor was originally the horn capacitor.The regulator terminals connect as follows; F on generator goes to DF on the regulator,A on generator goes to D+ on regulator,B+ on regulator goes to battery positive terminal or,if you are not running a battery it goes to the power lead on your light switch.HTH

·
Registered
61 Posts
BTW the 61 terminal doesnt do anything in the motorcycle application. Be sure to run a wire from the regulator frame to ground as they are rubber mounted.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
wow. in less than 3 houres you guys slamed some real good info my way. thanks a bunch. i think for the most part i have got it now. i for got to ask a bout the horn but with the info i got i have that taken care of.

one question though when yall are talking about grounding the regulator i need to take a wire from the D- termanal to the frame? if i wire the horn capisator in like the drawing from jasonmcelroy posted that will take care of the horn and groundig the regulater. if i do not use the horn capisator then all i need to do is run a wire from D- to the frame of the bike?

one more time thanks for all the help.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
one thing i for got to post. with the help of the guys on this bb now i get to go race my dirt bike all week end and not have to deal with trying to figure out how to wire a bike that is only 1 year younger then me. thats got to be worth a few spots in the over all. i do own 2 brit twins that are to cool in my book but my favorit bike is my ktm 300 duce stroke race bike.
thanks
johnny

1 - 10 of 10 Posts