Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1968 650, single amal carbm, 930 size 2.5 slide
boyer EI, tympanium, accel coil, B8ES and BR7ES plugs (tried both)
recent rebuild

timed and tappets triple checked.
carb jets clean and clear, fuel new.
It sputters when idle and begining acceleration, but smothes out at thigher RPM's.

Have switched plugs, wires etc and no change.

Heres a link to a youtube video i too of it running and rev'ing it up-WARNING - little motion sickness watching it, meant to hear it more than watch it.
Any tips and tricks appreciated.
Thx.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
it should have a 3.5 slide in it, chances are you have the pilot mixture fattened up to compensate for the poor mid range throttle because of the wrong slide, it makes a big difference.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
Wait.......you said you have a Tympainum but you don't say if you have a battery or not?
A Tympainum is not a battery eliminator, it's just a rectifier/regulator unit. you need to have ether a battery or a capacitor to have the bike run correctly.

but you still need to fix that incorrect slide and main jet issue. A TR6 needs a 3.5 slide and about a 230 main jet

·
Registered
561 Posts
Is a '68 a totally diffrent beast to a '72?

Otherwise, and just because I like talkin' 'bout my favourite ride, stock pancake filter + 240main + needle pos' 2 + No.3 throttle valve with add' 1/64 to cutaway.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
the 72 is pretty much the same bike (except for that horrible shifting 72 leaf spring transmission) and I think that slide with those modifications is about the same thing as a 3.5 slide.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
to follow up -
NEW - 230 main jet, 106 needle jet, needle on 2nd (middle) position.
New pilot screw - new one is shorter and thicker with new gasket
No.3 slide, pilot screw came almost all the way out in 1/2 turn increments from the 1 1/2 turns out starting position.
Running like a charm!
And to TT - I do have a battery with the typmanium, along with boyer EI and accell 12v coil.
Thanks to everyone for your input. still a little sputter but not bad at all, may either get a new no.3 slide (used an older one) or get a 3.5, after I run it for a few times.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.