Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched around and couldn't find anything on this... sorry if its a repeat thread.

Specs:
1967 Ironhead
Magneto
S&S Super E

Bought a this bike a few months ago and it ran really strong and started within 3 kicks every time.

This past week Its been really tough to start and actually i can't get it to idle without the choke on full and giving it a bit of throttle every 10 seconds so it doesn't die.

After it dies some grey smoke comes from the rear exhaust pipe...

Pulled the plugs and they were pure black, going to put a new pair in today when i get home from work and see what happens.

I also recently put a new battery and voltage regulator on. Regulator was polarized according to the instructions it came with.

I plan on rebuilding the engine this winter but would like to get it running proper for the rest of the season...

Thanks

·
Banned
700 Posts
DeadEndBrian!

Sounds like a classic symptom of simple EML disease to me.
(Evil Manifold Leak).

The first thing to try is to replace your 0-rings and bubbletest.

JAMES viton 0-rings are by far the best.

Good luck!

....Cotten

·
Registered
431 Posts
Your generator and battery are irrelevant to the running. It sounds like you have an intake leak. They are really common on ironheads. Get it to idle and spray some brake cleaner on the intake seals, if the idle changes (up if the spray is flammable, or down if not), then you have a leak.

The other possibility is a plugged slow speed fuel delivery system. You'll need to take the carb apart and spray/blow/pick through all of the passages to ensure they are open. Odds are it's the intake seals, though.

Btw, you should go through the regular tuning items anyway. Adjust the valves, set the points and timing, etc.

·
Registered
195 Posts
I second all of the replys, your haveing to dump more fuel to run ( choke on) cause there too much air getting in. Then your just flooding everything with fuel now and that's why your plugs are black.

Those intakes o-rings are a bear to get right sometimes, so take your time and feel around the inside of the ports to make sure your lined up and I like to walk each side down little by little, and go back and forth on the clamps so your pulling the intake square and tight together.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts