Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
You all may remember that I was looking for a Triumph. Found a great one. Pics and stories to come...for now, however I have something to resolve.
It's a 1966 Tr6r. It started up when I got it. 1-2 kick bike. Bike made it 113 miles home. Parked it at the bar where all my friends came out to check it out. I tried to start it not 5 minutes after I shut it off, and nothing.
It sounded like it wanted to turn over, but wouldn't. Maybe flooded? Then the lights died out. Sounds like it may be 2 different problems. The lights problem seems to be a bad connectioin somewhere around the battery, but even when lights work, bike won't turn over. Couldn't even pop start it, although that got it closest to firing up.
Just wondering if there is anything common to this bike or bikes in general that I'm not aware/thinking of. Tried the choke, priming it, nothing.
Thanks for your help guys. Good night, I'm going to bed so I can get up bright & early to study my shop manual...and check this for results. I appreciate it.

·
Banned
648 Posts
What ignition system you running? I think if it's a Boyer it's got to have ever bit of juice a good battery can give it. If it's not charging, the battery or tympanium might have crapped out? I'm assuming you checked silly stuff like having the gas on and gas in it, no wires wiggled off, right? I'm no expert by any stretch but had a semi-similiar problem with mine and a new tympanium from Wes and new battery solved it long enough for me to ruin other stuff...

-Bill

·
Registered
583 Posts
Pull the plugs. They will tell you what went wrong. Every bike acts different. Cold start/hot start there's always some combination that works. Talk to the previous owner about how to start it up hot and cold. You can die trying to start it without knowing the right combination. Figure out what the bike wants and it's a 1-2 kick start bike other wise it 's a heart attack machine. I kicked my Harley one morning for half an hour, Just knowing it was Flooded. Pulled the plugs and they were as dry as they could be. Put the choke on and it started in three kicks. Look at the plugs. Charge the Battery up too, anything less than 12 volts will hurt you too. Good Luck.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I checked all the obvious. Gotta look deeper to see if a wire shook loose. I don't know what kind of ignition system. Didn't really get a good look. just got it yesterday. I'll take a better look here in the daytime, hopefully come up with something. Keep em coming guys. Could be anything maybe you guys can help eliminate some of the guess work.

·
Registered
118 Posts
i had a similar problem with my T140. but i think it was the plugs. it got to the point that if it didn't start within 1-2 kicks, i would pull the right plug(it was this one everytime) and dry it off on my jeans. stick it back in and in 1 kick i was moving again. but that was a year ago and it's still in pieces from me trying to get the top end back together from a rebuild.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Sounds like maybe the battery was not getting a charge while you were riding it that first hundred miles and the headlight/tail-light took all the juice outta the battery. Throw the battery on a charger for 10 or so hours and then re-install and kick. Might need a new battery or charging system...???

·
Registered
7,257 Posts
yet another good opportunity to mention/recommend having your ignition and lights switched Separately ..

even with a good battery, but especially with a weak one; you want to be able to get All your cranking-speed current to the ignition .. then once youre warmed up & running good, or pulling away, switch on the lights ..

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
thanks for all the great responses. I've got plenty to look over. In recent news I got the bike running...or I should say she ran. I pulled the right plug, cleaned off the contact point, and it started. I don't know if that did the trick or if it was just going to start today anyway. I'll look over all the things you guys are pointing out. Even if they're not the answer, it couldn't hurt. Thanks

·
Registered
54 Posts
if it's a 66 how stock is it ? when new it had two six volt battreys to make 12v and the ignition switch has a position to start the bike using the alternator alone it takes the battery out of the picture if it's still stock but anyway it sounds like bad coils and condensers heat is the devil and the probably got saturated with heat from your long ride after all the ignition system could be FORTY YEARS OLD!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts