Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was doing burnouts a couple weeks ago at a bike rally. When riding home I noticed I had some clutch slippage (not all of the power getting to the wheel, just revving high when opening my throttle).

I opened my primary, found some pieces of my Kicker Gear bushing that fits around the main shaft floating around.....I pulled my hub, etc and replaced the bushing. I put the whole thing back together,

Now Im having the same issue still. I had to replace my clutch cable as well. Ive tried adjusting my Clutch on the kick cover and making sure the pressure plate inside the clutch is adjusted properly, but no matter what I cant seem to get a proper clutch.

I can take off and ride, but cant open the throttle really, if I do the motor just revs high like the clutch lever is being pulled.

its the weirdest thing.....I was thinking maybe its my clutch plates, but theyre Barnett wet/dry plates and only have around 15,000-20,000 miles on them.

To boot as well, my clutch cable seems to be about an inch too long, kind of weird, yet it still somewhat "works"

G

·

·
Registered
771 Posts
Did you set your new cable properly before setting the clutch?

Proceed as follows:

Undo the nut that hold the worm screw tight

Screw that screw IN until you really feel the plates pushing on the clutch springs, about 2 turns in should be OK. This is important to be sure the worm lever goes backwards as far as possible to give you maximum release once set.

Now set your cable to have the lever free travel you like, 1/8 or there about

Then unscrew the worm screw until totally free

Screw in until you just hit the plates and back off slightly

Locknut

Go and try on the road and readjust slightly the worm screw so you don't get any drag or slip. Don't ever adjust the clutch action with just the cable adjuster, you have to go through the whole procedure again if the cable slackens out over time...

Patrick

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I ride this bike around 750 miles a week and do burnouts pretty much daily. It took 4 new tires this season to burn this baby up. No regrets. Just glad to get her going right again seeing as this is my only vehicle currently.......

And yes that was me against the tree in ohio kickin dirt everywhere....ride em hard boys

·
Administrator
7,823 Posts
Glad your having a good time as you should be. :D
I ride this bike around 750 miles a week and do burnouts pretty much daily. It took 4 new tires this season to burn this baby up. No regrets. Just glad to get her going right again seeing as this is my only vehicle currently.......

And yes that was me against the tree in ohio kickin dirt everywhere....ride em hard boys
I want to see some burnout videos!

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thefrenchowl : Thank you so much for your input, I only have a clymer manual which is rather Vague frequently. Your adjustment helped me a ton.

Sadly it seems it cleared up some of my issues, but there still seems to be some slippage

I feel sheepish asking, But can excessive burnouts destroy clutch fiber plates? They dont seem to be too covered in oil. Is it possible theyre just worn?

Also For HD48FL:

This is the burnout that crippled her

And heres a video from the beginning of the season I made for my Canadian buddy who asked to see my bike in action before buying a pre-70's sporty himself

HERES THE LINK BELOW

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Mileage on the plates doesn't always matter. One can burn up a brand new clutch and it sounds like you may have.

If it's glazed, parts cleaner won't break the glaze. You need to scuff the plates with some fairly coarse sandpaper or the like. You don't really want to remove material here, you just want to break the glaze. This will get you by for a while, maybe, but if it's glazed it's most likely well on it's way to dead anyways.

After you fix it, stop doing burnouts.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So new plates you guys say?

Burnouts in no time!!!!! Bike shop opens at 10am....14 hours 27 minutes....

I thought it could be, but never imagined I really had done it.....rough

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks Bob, If I come over to your place now youll help me right?

har har har, hope the shovel is going well.

Somehow the flat tire I got near your place was my tube which had gotten a magical slice in it, dudes at the bike shop were miffed by it....total fucking mystery

G

·
Ya know....

Being your into playing hard with the bike...
Dang if I wouldn't overkill that clutch with what is out there....

Sportster Thru 1970Available in
.059"
.078"
.089"
.119"
Extra-Thick Drive Plates
Made of heavy gauge steel for use in racing machines (primarily drag bikes) in conjunction with our #301-30-70004 sintered-iron friction plates. Thicker plates help reduce warpage problems and also build up stack height as friction plates wear.
Sportster Thru 1970301-30-70004Sintered Friction Plates
These race-proven plates are for the serious racer. The ultimate answer for hot strokers. The plates are made of sintered-iron fused to high tensile strength cores. Resistant to wear and high temperatures.
501-50-06053Clutch Springs
(Set of 6) 50 lbs @ 1"- Heavy Duty

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

1 - 20 of 31 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.