Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So Im having some oiling problems with my 1954FL motor, for some reason its not sending oil to the heads or the lifter blocks. I have checked the oil pump(correct pump for the cases) and all the keys are in place and the check balls/valves are all correct. Checked the timing of the breather gear and its right also checked the pinion shaft bushing and its the correct one for the year/pinion shaft. Also made sure the passages in the barrels match up to the cases and they do. The only thing that I could see is there is a block between the tappet screen/filter and the barrels, anybody have any ideas? thanks for the help!

Also should note that Im running solid lifters in the factory hydro. tappet blocks.

·
Registered
884 Posts
is this a new build? it sounds like you have air in the system and it needs to be purged.take the outer screw out of the top of the pump and take the screen plug out also. now fill al of those cavitys with oil and kick it over. it might take a few times but it should start pumping after a little bit. hell i've been known to put a air nozzle in the oil tank with a rag wrapped around it (so's not to build up too much pressure) and force the oil to come out of the screen hole.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
is this a new build? it sounds like you have air in the system and it needs to be purged.take the outer screw out of the top of the pump and take the screen plug out also. now fill al of those cavitys with oil and kick it over. it might take a few times but it should start pumping after a little bit. hell i've been known to put a air nozzle in the oil tank with a rag wrapped around it (so's not to build up too much pressure) and force the oil to come out of the screen hole.
Yes its a new build, I purged the system back before I first started the bike. The bike ran for about 6 minutes(3 seperate start ups will i was dailing it in) I would think that would be enough run time to pump oil to the top end but it seized 2 cheap aftermarket rockets from lack of oil. So after that I pulled it down and found a bone dry top end.

G

·
Does sound like air-locked....

You can force feed it....By having it running remove the pressure relief plug and spring but keeping the valve in the bore...Take a long handle screw driver and punk in and hold...Rev up the motor some....This will make the pump output go very high on the oil pressure....

Kinda the same deal as air being forced in the oil tank...But using the pump for doing the pushing of oil instead of air...

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
561 Posts
I assume you double checked all the holes in the base gaskets and made sure the cam cover gaskets upper left side hole was open? I nearly missed that one. Oil Pump gaskets all OK?

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I assume you double checked all the holes in the base gaskets and made sure the cam cover gaskets upper left side hole was open? I nearly missed that one. Oil Pump gaskets all OK?
Checked and rechecked all the gaskets and they all line up like they should.

I think I found my problem, I put a air nozzle to the oil passages in the cylinders and when I hit it with air it builds pressure(with my finger on the other cylinders oil passage and the lifter blocks on) and lifts my finger from the other barrel. Shouldn't the air pass to the tappet screen/filter hole and release into there? so if this is the problem is it safe to pull the factor plug that was installed after they drilled the passage to check for a blockage?(plug is above and to the left of the pinion shaft oil passage)

·
Registered
508 Posts
had one that the cam cover gasket blocked half the hole.. and the cover didnt line up withe the case all that good, add a skim of yama bond and got the same problem..i would say do the same test with the cover off to find your blockage. hope you used a good assembly lube on the rocker arms or the brass will be tore up by now.

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
had one that the cam cover gasket blocked half the hole.. and the cover didnt line up withe the case all that good, add a skim of yama bond and got the same problem..i would say do the same test with the cover off to find your blockage. hope you used a good assembly lube on the rocker arms or the brass will be tore up by now.
The first time it did screw up the rocker arms so I tore it down and got a set of cherry OEM rockers and sized all those so its good to go, heads havent been put back on yet with the new rocker arms.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just a little story here. My Pop had a 50 panhead he built the engine from pieces as it had kicked a rod thru the bottom. He installed solid alum adj pushrods in the engine. It would fill the pans full of oil and would use a quart of oil going around the section. :D I believe he restricted the rocker shaft oil holes. He studied the harley oiling schematic many hours and had the engine out many times I remember. Do you have a manual with the oiling schematics? Lippy

·
Registered
515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just a little story here. My Pop had a 50 panhead he built the engine from pieces as it had kicked a rod thru the bottom. He installed solid alum adj pushrods in the engine. It would fill the pans full of oil and would use a quart of oil going around the section. :D I believe he restricted the rocker shaft oil holes. He studied the harley oiling schematic many hours and had the engine out many times I remember. Do you have a manual with the oiling schematics? Lippy
I have a couple facrory manuals with oiling schematics.. The problem on this one turned out to be a plug in the oil passage just after the tappet screen(it was a metal dowl) I think somebody put a shovel top end on these cases and blocked it for that reason. All is good now.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts