Jockey Journal Forum banner
161 - 177 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
Well, hello there, another update!
Picked the perfect day to book off work, beautiful day in England.

Started the morning by dragging her out to check stance..I'm liking it - I'm sat too far back and I'm a short ass at only 5'9.... yes need longer legs hahaha

Then was time to play...
Found some old clamps that I don't even know what they were off, but I liked how the end is not flat, has that little bend on it, got a flat bit of stainless and after some measuring I'm almost happy with it, the end of the exhaust are like 3/16 closer than the other end, so not exactly parallel but I'll get that adjusted.
Done a spacer to check for fitment and location and will weld a stainless tab to the sissy bar, then the spacer will bolt to it and support the exhaust.

and then, because I received a big delivery and it came with a long piece of cardboard, I got the scissors out and started making a template for the k&q seat. Not sure if that's what I'll run, but I intend to do the whole seat, including foam and trim, myself.

Exhausts on these one are sticking a bit too far out for my liking I reckon. Prefer it as they were on the photos where i'm sat on her.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
Well, hello there, another update!
Picked the perfect day to book off work, beautiful day in England.

Started the morning by dragging her out to check stance..I'm liking it - I'm sat too far back and I'm a short ass at only 5'9.... yes need longer legs hahaha

Then was time to play...
Found some old clamps that I don't even know what they were off, but I liked how the end is not flat, has that little bend on it, got a flat bit of stainless and after some measuring I'm almost happy with it, the end of the exhaust are like 3/16 closer than the other end, so not exactly parallel but I'll get that adjusted.
Done a spacer to check for fitment and location and will weld a stainless tab to the sissy bar, then the spacer will bolt to it and support the exhaust.

and then, because I received a big delivery and it came with a long piece of cardboard, I got the scissors out and started making a template for the k&q seat. Not sure if that's what I'll run, but I intend to do the whole seat, including foam and trim, myself.

Exhausts on these one are sticking a bit too far out for my liking I reckon. Prefer it as they were on the photos where i'm sat on her.

looking bloody lovely JP,
nice to see someone with pride in what they do DOWN TO the smalest 0.5mm !!
far too many settle for 'close enough'.
i used to sit in my garage just looking at my builds to see if this bit or that was too long/short wrong angle,
them move my stool & look from another angle and do the same,
if ya dont, you'll never be happy with your own build or work,
you run yaself down too much fella, ya quality is spot bollocks on mate,
only one bit I'd do slightly different, but sadly, it aint mine !!...
hope to see it about next year if ya bladdering about the south coast next summer,
i'll buy ya a Sagres or two...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
looking bloody lovely JP,
nice to see someone with pride in what they do DOWN TO the smalest 0.5mm !!
far too many settle for 'close enough'.
i used to sit in my garage just looking at my builds to see if this bit or that was too long/short wrong angle,
them move my stool & look from another angle and do the same,
if ya dont, you'll never be happy with your own build or work,
you run yaself down too much fella, ya quality is spot bollocks on mate,
only one bit I'd do slightly different, but sadly, it aint mine !!...
hope to see it about next year if ya bladdering about the south coast next summer,
i'll buy ya a Sagres or two...
thank you!
you are right, I see so many bikes with bits that are off and I think... why all the work, the expensive paintjob, the expensive chrome...and then not spend some extra time to make it just a bit better!
I that, I sometimes leave things in place and when I go for a smoke after dinner or any other time I go in the garage and sit there just looking at it, till I'm happy. the best really is always look from a distance, that's why i drag her out of the garage when I can.

Do let me know what you'd do different, because sometimes is just a matter of taste and everyone is different, but could well be something that I haven't thought about or haven't noticed.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
it all works great on the eye, & you've got it right as it is,
me being an old fart would have a bit more lean back on the sissy bar just a bit less vertical, but its all in the eyes of the artist & I'm a fat bastard n needs a bit of room, hahahahaah
none of us is the same, which is what its all about, either way works...

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #166 ·
ah yes, that's the personal taste factor then.
I do like them tilted back, but more on raked frames, longer legs.. then it makes it long sleek..long...On a normal frame I dont like the straight vertical, but a little tilt back, to me, makes it nice.
Once I have the seats on I think will look even better as I'll be sat forward.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #168 ·
little update, just a couple of hours after work today.
Realised the mounting bolt on the exhausts bracket wasn't in the middle.... drilled a new hole to please my OCD, and then I'll weld the old one. that bracket also needs some serious work on the polisher.

And made the tab for exhaust bracket. 2 pieces of stainless flat bar, tacked on the flat side, then shape with the grinder and hand files.
Once happy with shape, cut a grove along it, welded it and then got the hand files out again for final shape.
Quick go with first polishing compound to get some shine to it and its read to tack weld in place - But need the bike out the garage to look from a distance before committing to location in/out on the sissy bar leg because that will affect exhausts position - unless I then tweak and bend the flat bar, but ideally want it straight.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Looks almost as if you meant it to look like that!

Real nice, JP. I hate to sound like a broken record, but gosh what a good bike.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
Looks almost as if you meant it to look like that!

Real nice, JP. I hate to sound like a broken record, but gosh what a good bike.
thank you!!
She's getting there. got the tab tacked to the sissy bar today.
Next step is to make an oil tank rear support.
then start working on seats. not sure yet what i'm doing/ how i'm doing, have some ideas but need to start putting things from paper to metal

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Something you may already know: Shops that make seat cushions for rich folks' pleasure boats often have offcuts and other useful scraps of nice dense closed-cell foam. I got hold of some of the laughably expensive* stuff for nearly nothing and made two really good solo seats (Triumph, BMW). The foam is so dense (yet pliant) that a relatively thin piece -- one that looks like it would ruin your spine within 100 miles' riding -- is as comfortable as any Japanese mega-tourer's seat. Closed-cell foam absorbs no rainwater, thus obviating the surprise icewater butt wash after your bike has stood out in the rain. (Not a likely scenario for yours, I realize.)

I am hard on seats. Don't weigh much but I got a pointy chimpanzee ass that kills padding. Those homemade seats seemed nearly guaranteed to outlast any seat made of ordinary foam layers. (But I don't know that for certain: The Triumph got stolen and I sold the BMW, seat included.)

* Well it was expensive circa 1992. Maybe cheaper now.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #172 ·
Something you may already know: Shops that make seat cushions for rich folks' pleasure boats often have offcuts and other useful scraps of nice dense closed-cell foam. I got hold of some of the laughably expensive* stuff for nearly nothing and made two really good solo seats (Triumph, BMW). The foam is so dense (yet pliant) that a relatively thin piece -- one that looks like it would ruin your spine within 100 miles' riding -- is as comfortable as any Japanese mega-tourer's seat. Closed-cell foam absorbs no rainwater, thus obviating the surprise icewater butt wash after your bike has stood out in the rain. (Not a likely scenario for yours, I realize.)

I am hard on seats. Don't weigh much but I got a pointy chimpanzee ass that kills padding. Those homemade seats seemed nearly guaranteed to outlast any seat made of ordinary foam layers. (But I don't know that for certain: The Triumph got stolen and I sold the BMW, seat included.)

We dont have the pleasure boats market over here, at least not at the scale of the US, I follow a group of Auto and boat upholstery and I know exactly what you are talking about, I see how big the pleasure boat trimming market is in the US. I follow the group as its a good source to pick up on tips and ways of tackling certain problems.
I do have some of that dense closed cell foam, the blue type. Bought it when I done the seats in my van, for the armrests, but ended up not using.

Oh mine will get wet for sure, I live in England, going to places and get soaked to the bone is part of the fun, here's a screen shot from a video in September, was raining so much I couldn't see the road, had to stop 45min under a bridge to let the main part of the storm to blow over.... so, surprise butt wash is a thing! haha

so closed cell will be needed. A friend of mine makes bike seats and she uses a mix of closed cell and the one that looks like a bunch of foam types all mixed together - dont know the name.
I might have to go round to her place and place my butt in some of the foam types, I know different colors = different confort.

·
Registered
171 Posts

Kill padding like a monkey

·
Registered
171 Posts
We dont have the pleasure boats market over here, at least not at the scale of the US, I follow a group of Auto and boat upholstery and I know exactly what you are talking about, I see how big the pleasure boat trimming market is in the US. I follow the group as its a good source to pick up on tips and ways of tackling certain problems.
I do have some of that dense closed cell foam, the blue type. Bought it when I done the seats in my van, for the armrests, but ended up not using.

Oh mine will get wet for sure, I live in England, going to places and get soaked to the bone is part of the fun, here's a screen shot from a video in September, was raining so much I couldn't see the road, had to stop 45min under a bridge to let the main part of the storm to blow over.... so, surprise butt wash is a thing! haha

so closed cell will be needed. A friend of mine makes bike seats and she uses a mix of closed cell and the one that looks like a bunch of foam types all mixed together - dont know the name.
I might have to go round to her place and place my butt in some of the foam types, I know different colors = different confort.
Don’t you ever miss the algarve? , pics of that bike look so much better in the sun.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
Don’t you ever miss the algarve? , pics of that bike look so much better in the sun.
I'm originally from Lisbon, but go to the Algarve for the Summer holidays and meet up with bike friends and ride around - so I get my yearly dose of "I'm doing 30mph and feels like I have a giant hair dryer blowing on my face" haha

but Portugal is a difficult country to be into any custom bike scene (or car or anything custom), everything is illegal, you cant change anything. Over here in England there's more freedom to play about and build. - just to give an idea, if your car comes from factory with a certain size of tyres - that's all you can have. the tyre size will be on your documents and you cant change for anything rather than that. Bikes never had yearly inspections, but that's being introduced next year, which mean having a 'different' bike won't just be a matter of avoiding police...

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Good old estado babá, always looking out for its citizens' safety. Including protection from accidentally confronting a vehicle lacking in modesty and good taste.

Important autobiographical digression: Discomfort aside, riding in rain and high gusty wind is (was) among my most favorite kinds of motorcyclin'. Some hippie helpfully diagnosed the euphoric feeling I described: "You're getting a negative-ion shower." Whatever that means.

161 - 177 of 177 Posts