Jockey Journal Forum banner
141 - 160 of 177 Posts

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #142 ·
And ... well well. I was about to put the long-forks version firmly in last place; but then I went back for one more look. it has grown on me, too. Looks pretty great, in fact.

So now I have to think that the #3, a.k.a. the original, version looks least good, and I honestly can't decide between #1 and #2 ... Maybe leaning toward #1.

Just call me Mister Helpful. Unless you prefer Contrary A-Hole.
We are exactly on the same page.
#3 is the one that once you know whats wrong then you can't stop spotting it.

then #1 at the start I didn't like it when I first pulled the bike out, that's why I took loads of photos so I could keep studying it now and again, and slowly is getting better and growing on me, well balanced.
The height of sissy bar, with the handlebars, and eventually the headlamp, it will make it flow nicely.

I still like #2, nice and compact like I like (or I'm used to) but.... weighing in the options of getting another springer vs using the long one, #1 is slightly in the lead.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #143 ·
oh wow! last time I posted was 8 months ago!
well, we are back on the Panhead build. the Impala is done, the 68 is done, the 76 needs nothing.... all my free time will be for the Pan.

So... back to sissy bars haha
Made one....didnt like it, made another one, my symmetry OCD played up and didn't like it again, some bends where not perfect.

so, that was back to the drawing board and learn heat on stainless (I done them before but always in mild) - there's a fine line in stainless between just about right hot and gone too hot.
done some test bends which came out perfect.

so then was time to actually get it all done on the jig. During the process I decided to go with a different design, which obviously kicked my symmetry OCD into overdrive trying to make sure everything is exactly the same either side from the fender up, legs I have to live with it due to the offset on the wheel.... that was fun.

But we got there eventually. might need a little tweak here and there. Going to leave it hanging like this for a few days till I'm happy and tack weld the top.
Actually, might polish it first before tacking.

the bar in the middle, got it on the lathe and tapped a 5/16 in there. Why? well... I though I could easily screw something there on an L bracket.. like a middle finger or something, and because I haven't decided yet if I'm going solo and P pad or king and queen seat, if I decide k&q I can bolt a bracket there to hold the top of the seat. If I dont then there isn't an unused bracket on the sissy bar.
and as the tap is underneath.. can't be seen if not used for either seat or ornament.

and that's it... not much else. but it's some progress.
steps to follow is get the sissy bar finished, put on the bike, weld fender brackets to it. Once that's done I can move to exhaust brackets as I'll probably weld them to the sissy bar. then seat and handlebars.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
You call that symmetrical?! Pah!

No but really: It's a real nice sissy (so was the last one). You want to drive yourself insane, all I can or should do is applaud.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #145 ·
Ahaha, yes, it seems I do like to drive myself insane, go from bad to worse... and the worse is still to come when it comes the time to actually put it on the bike...

Anyway, today I got my vary basic polishing kit out and went to town on the sissy bar, getting it all as close to mirror as I can before welding.
Need to invest in an actual polisher because what I do now is get the grinding wheel off my bench grinder and then putting an attachment for the polishing mops..need something permanent so it ends this faff..

some photos...

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I got the idea somewhere that a grinder's RPM higher than the ideal polishing speed; that if there's no good option but to use the grinder motor one should pulley it to a larger (slower) wheel. Any truth at all in that?

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
a real industrial polishing spindle I used to have like this was 5hp & spun
Blue Gas Electric blue Machine Engineering

at 3450rpm, Bench grinders are only about 150w at a free spinning speed of only 2950rpm which drops to stop if ya push too hard, ya need at least a 3/4-1hp motor for garage use, I gave up on bench grinders years ago, reasonably fast but no punch to them if you want a real good polishing job.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #148 ·
yes you are right.
on the first compound it has to be pushed hard and the bench grinder struggles with that part, the other 2 stages dont need to be pushed as hard and its alright.
there is still some blemishes that will need first stage again, but we'll get to that.

I keep looking on market place for something better, but I dont do this that often to justify the cost, so we'll see.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #149 ·
bit more... polished the rest, tack welded. looks straight!
The fun bit will be cutting the legs off at the absolute right length so that when it sits on the axle plate lugs the whole thing is dead straight at the top and centered.
not sure my ocd will cope.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #150 ·
OCD kicked in this evening and got the laser out.
Just to line up, measure the legs and cut them to length so I can rest them on top of the lugs before welding. going to be measure 3 times, cut once... but still off the distance I want it from the fender. once I have the legs resting on the legs and middle lined up, then I can take whatever off the legs that I want the sissy bar to drop closer to the fender.
theoretically... hahaha

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Far be it from me to suggest that you take your bike apart, at least enough to get perishable bits safely distant from the affected area back in the hind frame leg region. Oh no I wouldn't make any such suggestion, for fear you'd follow it (in improved form). But ... if the sissy brackets on the frame involved some kind of collet fixing, and if you left a little bit extra on the sissy legs, you could adjust and readjust it for precise perpendicularity as often as your OCD demon (that fang-clacking creature on your shoulder) nagged you to do so. Once a week? Five times a day? Your adjustment horizon would be wide open.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #152 ·
Hahaha man, you do always make me laugh with your comments!!!

Well, I'm glad to announce that after about 2h of measuring, tweaking legs in, out, cutting the legs down to desired distance from fender, while keeping the middle dead straight - that was fun - and swearing in a mix of English and Portuguese... it's tac welded on the bungs. Quite pleased with it.
Next step, bend some flat bar for fender struts.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #153 ·
Got a bit more done, polished and bent the flat for the fender support.
Would love to have a proper steel bender, been thinking of making one, but its one of those things you always get round doing some other way and then slips to the end of the projects list.
Started by doing a template with a piece of thin ally as I have lots of sheets kicking about and its easy to bend for a template.
Done it with a couple of thick steel plates either side of the stainless flat and with the help of the vice it bent exactly where I wanted.
Used a big round bar as the form for the middle section corners, had done it for a different fender and worked alright, and so it did again.

Tomorrow, I'm taking the bike out the garage and look from a distance to see what angle that sissy bar is going to be. then drill the fender, bolt the fender support to it, and tack weld it to legs.
that should be the final tacks done, after that is take it off, clamp it all done on the jig and fully weld. Thinking of possibly heat up the flat where it meets the sissy bar legs and wrap it around the legs. reckon would look good.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #154 ·
here we go, another update.... 2 years with almost nothing and now it's all go go go hahaha
What have I done...
well, rolled the Pan out and got some photos with sissy bar angles from 0 all the way to 10. Likely to go with something around 4 degrees. I dont like it too tilted back, in my opinion I only like that when its raked frame and long forks.

some photos..

Then was time to drill and bolt the fender to the bracket I previously made, making sure it was all even either side.... had to do some jigging with a ratchet strap and a bar to align both sides perfectly so they'd sit even on the bracket..

then was time to use the jig plate I bought 2 years ago so I could fully tig the top and nothing moved.
Couldn't weld more because I'm missing some 3/8 threaded rod to put through the sissy bar mounting points - with the help of 4 nuts I can the legs apart the exact distance before welding the bracket to the legs and around the end bungs.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
God damn that's good!

Back in your post #153, second pic (fender strap clamped up in the vise): Is that a vertical mill in the RH background, with a roll of paper towels hanging from the feed lever? Or a milling/drilling machine or a plain ol' drill press?

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #156 ·
God damn that's good!

Back in your post #153, second pic (fender strap clamped up in the vise): Is that a vertical mill in the RH background, with a roll of paper towels hanging from the feed lever? Or a milling/drilling machine or a plain ol' drill press?
Thank you!

It's a big ass floor standing pillar drill.
The platform can slide all the way to the floor base or out of the way, the base also has slots to clamp large pieces down.
The platform swivels and tilts and have a cross slide bolted on it... Guess why? So I can clamp stuff down and use the cross slide to make perfectly lined up holes..
Cant use it for milling though because of side forces, but it's very handy.
The swivel platform is good to drill at angles, was very handy when I had to drill out almost every bolt out of my old C10 water pump cover.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #157 ·
bit more done this evening..
tig welded the fender support and the axle plates bungs, all still lines up but forgot to take a photo back in place.
also gave it a quick 1st stage polish to get rid of the heat marks. Looks like dark areas on the photos, but that's just reflections, hard to photograph.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #158 ·
Just a quick photo to add...
grabbed that set of bars I had put on which I made a couple of years ago, which are not even proper 1" (25.4mm), they are 25mm, but only noticed when I bent them so they are scrap, but anyway, wanted to check narrow look, so cut 3" off the middle and welded them back on.... I'm liking it.

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
Nicest (very nearly redemptive) example I've seen of a style I don't much like.

If that sounds like a double-inverted backhand non-compliment (and it does), sorry. They look good + suit the bike real well.

·
Registered
1,521 Posts
Discussion Starter · #160 ·
thank you! When the time comes I'll bend a new set, maybe a little lower - I like to have my arms straight and these are like just 2" too high..We shall see.

141 - 160 of 177 Posts