Jockey Journal Forum banner
121 - 140 of 190 Posts

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
For what it's worth, I too can see the improvement in o/a profile when the front is hoiked up just that little bit.

But why not throw your pal's 3" longer forks on it and then ogle it over the course of a few days? (Post pics, too, please, so I can share my all-important opinion.)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #122 ·
Might be a problem to find some springers over here that are only 1" longer than mine though... shame this other one I have is 3" longer, I reckon will be way too much.

yes Ratso, I'll put them on to have a look, and I'll definitely be posting photos.
Will also grab a set of mini apes and throw on her to have a better idea of what I'm playing with.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #123 ·
The small adjustment DOES make the difference. I worked on yachts and nothing is straight or square. It took some time to learn that if it looked right to the eye, forget the tape measure.
I have a problem with that, my eye is better than the tape measure! I can spot when things are just a tiny bit out and my OCD starts bouncing off the walls.

I think I've made my sissy bar about 3 times now, just because the bends are not absolutely 100% the same either side.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Run the 3" over, but re-lace your front hub to an 18" rim. Problem solved!

THAT WAS AN ATTEMPTED JOKE. Please, put it from your mind. Please!

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #126 ·
Oh no, no, no... No messing about with wheels, I'm keeping it as is.
Ah! Just read the bit about being a joke, thought was a strange suggestion! Haha

If I have time I'll get the other springer fitted this weekend and post some photos.
Might even get my little girl to take some photos with me on it,

·
Registered
3,372 Posts
JP, How about putting a spacer underneath the lower neck bearing and shortening the crown nut the same amount? I think you could milk an inch of extension out of that with a little lathe work.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #128 ·
JP, How about putting a spacer underneath the lower neck bearing and shortening the crown nut the same amount? I think you could milk an inch of extension out of that with a little lathe work.
I thought about something like that, but then it didn't sound 'standard' or 'safe'... an extension under the bearing..:confused:
saying that I also can't see why it wouldnt work.

Would have to be quite a large 'extension', making it the same width as the neck cup. I'll have a think about that one, also not sure if it would look alright the gap between the neck and the springer (even though there's would be a lump of spacer there)

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #130 ·
Pictures as promised!! The sun is finally out! what a lovely weekend we been having, even got my shovel out for a short ride, that thing never fails me... parked up since september, started 3rd kick, spat oil out, chucked it back in, went for a ride....never missed a bit, its like I had only ridden yesterday.

anyway..Panhead.
fitted the longer springer on. Actually doesnt look as high as i thought it would, the generator is also missing from the engine and that weighs a tone on its own.
I like it.... maybe what I dont like so much is the space between the wheel and neck, but that's because i'm used to more compact bikes.
But I'm liking where this is going... opinions?

and a comparison of all 3 options

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #132 ·
Long one is good. Now lean the bitch bar back to or near seat post angle and I would be good with the look.
Yeh sissy bar will tilt back a bit more, as its not mounted yet that's how far it could go before falling off hahaha.
I'm on 2 minds about seat and pad or king and queen... Little one asked for k&q so she can go on the back (she used to on the long chop), but we usually use the Genny for our rides together and school runs..

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter · #136 ·
I've slept on it... it's growing on me.
I'm liking it more and this morning looked at the photo again and still liked it... long front might stay.

Decisions decisions decisions, about the seat maybe set it up for both? ...its nice to switch some things up from time to time if you know what i mean.
I did think of this actually, weld the seat springs locators on the frame and then make a front mount off the seat post - similar to what Le Beef sells, although in my defence I done one like that before I had seen them about being sold.

But..., and I haven't checked this yet, my idea was to use that for single seat and then for K&Q make a seat pan with 2 holes where the spring locators are, maybe weld a form of a top hat so the spigots located in there or something like that... but... then I thought.. won't I feel that through the seat foam?? probably will.
But, haven't checked yet, need to proper see where they be located in relation to where my ass will be located. hahaha

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
I've slept on it... it's growing on me.
I'm liking it more and this morning looked at the photo again and still liked it... long front might stay.

I did think of this actually, weld the seat springs locators on the frame and then make a front mount off the seat post - similar to what Le Beef sells, although in my defence I done one like that before I had seen them about being sold.

But..., and I haven't checked this yet, my idea was to use that for single seat and then for K&Q make a seat pan with 2 holes where the spring locators are, maybe weld a form of a top hat so the spigots located in there or something like that... but... then I thought.. won't I feel that through the seat foam?? probably will.
But, haven't checked yet, need to proper see where they be located in relation to where my ass will be located. hahaha
Good man! the dark side.. haha. With re the spring locators, it depends on your seat mate. My flatt had them where the cobra literally just located on them. I could never feel them. It's the best of both worlds as you've mentioned then, can easily switch it to a solo and P if needed. I secured mine on the rear fender with a small wingnut, just for access to tools etc.

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
Well, okay then. All the best threads have (at least) one a-hole to blarp out contrary opinions -- it's a matter of balance -- and I'm happy to be that a-hole: it's a natural fit for me.

So, of the three photos posted up in #130, the middle one (short forks, front uplifted by a hunk o' wood) looks best to me. The bottom image -- short forks, no hunk -- looks imperfect, but by such a small margin that I may not have perceived an imperfection at all if you hadn't invited the comparison.

And ... well well. I was about to put the long-forks version firmly in last place; but then I went back for one more look. it has grown on me, too. Looks pretty great, in fact.

So now I have to think that the #3, a.k.a. the original, version looks least good, and I honestly can't decide between #1 and #2 ... Maybe leaning toward #1.

Just call me Mister Helpful. Unless you prefer Contrary A-Hole.

121 - 140 of 190 Posts