Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I picked up a pan last october and the time has come to try and get her running. I didnt play with it much because I was dealing with getting a title thru the wonderful state of IL....but I finally got it. I have gotten it to pop off and run for a few second spitting and popping and such. It is a jockey shift and well we will jsut say it is touchy so I got it down the alley but not back! So what I am working with is a 50 pan and trans, super b and a mag. I am unsure of the brand of mag. I know there is no timing marks except for the paint mark the P.O. put on there ....he didnt know his ass from a hole in the wall. so I dont think it means much. where should I start? it was last plated in '87 so...I was thinking clean the carb, clean the gas tank, change the oil, set the valves, do the points and set the timing? Only thing I know how to do is the carb. I know how to do valves on my shovel with solids...is it the same? as for the mag and timing I have no idea. Please point me in the right direction so I can salvage whats left of summer if I can. Thanks guys

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wont let me says im missing a token....everytime I send a response to the admin they never respond or let me know why.

·
Administrator
7,799 Posts
Wont let me says im missing a token....everytime I send a response to the admin they never respond or let me know why.
Use photobucket to post pics. Download your pics there and then copy the img tag. Paste the img tag here in your post and hit preview. You'll see the picture(s) in the preview. It's really easy once you do it a few tiimes.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Can't photobucket from my phone. Ill have to wait till im around a computer. I agree a manual is great but I need the 70 to 85 bucks for parts to get it running and I don't think it covers magneto trouble shooting and repair/setup.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Unless someone has a oem pan manual they want to sell me. Im not a fan of clymer or haynes

·
Registered
102 Posts
Search around on the internet, you can find most FM's either free or for a few bucks. I have never paid full price for one. I got my knuckle FM for free.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I myself am close to what you describe. I got around the block on my '51... popping and spitting. Got it home and started by ripping off the carb (S&S Shorty).

I did a complete carb rebuild, but it still won't start. It actually feels like it does not have the compression it used to.

I'm wondering if riding it when it was running so poorly didn't screw up a valve or something.

So my recommendation to you would be to get it running sweet BEFORE you attempt to ride it again. With my impatience, I may have made a costly mistake.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm going to clean the carb set the valves check my compression and check my points. I've ordered a book from my local shop yesterday. Only thing I'm not sure im is how to set the timing with a mag. And it's not going to cover that in the manual any help ????

1 - 10 of 10 Posts