Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have a bike with good numbers on case 48elxxxxx this number appears on my California title as motorcycle engine number but my vin is a assigned number from ca in 1972 blue tag. Is there anyway to go back and keep it titled as a 48hd I really don't care to much what the title says but it would be nice to have it titled as an hd rather than spcns. My frame is a 57 straight leg but I know there were no numbers on frame back theni called a few places and it seems like I am stuck with what I have. Also I have since moved to Alaska with bike but not yet registered here. Just curious if anyone has been able to reverse this titling issue before I see bikes all the time with frames that don't match year of motor and the are titled as hd. Thanks for the help

·
Administrator
7,801 Posts
So I have a bike with good numbers on case 48elxxxxx this number appears on my California title as motorcycle engine number but my vin is a assigned number from ca in 1972 blue tag. Is there anyway to go back and keep it titled as a 48hd I really don't care to much what the title says but it would be nice to have it titled as an hd rather than spcns. My frame is a 57 straight leg but I know there were no numbers on frame back theni called a few places and it seems like I am stuck with what I have. Also I have since moved to Alaska with bike but not yet registered here. Just curious if anyone has been able to reverse this titling issue before I see bikes all the time with frames that don't match year of motor and the are titled as hd. Thanks for the help
If you transfer the title then it most likely would remain as the assigned number from ca.

I'm sure you could use a title service and ignore your current title. Not sure how that would work out?

·
Banned
2,014 Posts
Check with your new state as too acquiring a title for a vehicle with a lost title. You may be able to go through the process using the engine # as if the assigned number never existed and get a new title for it.
Robbie

·
Registered
83 Posts
My state (Maine) doesn't issue titles for older machines,not sure of the date line but I think here you could do what you wanted to do if you had a BOS stating the motor vin as long as it was clean.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i asked local dmv they said no about re titling but if i play dumb a show up with my bike remove blue tag and just say it is a 1948 but I lost my title I wonder if it would be as easy to make a new title just going off the engine number I will give that a try before I surrender my CA SPCNS title two them.

·
Registered
2,485 Posts
I have ran into this before too, building bikes. I use a mc title company(any title search company should do this), and send them all my paperwork, BOS of motor, frame and such, and for under 300 dollars, they issue a title and a tag/registration, and it is always a HD title. With no numbers on the frame, you should be able to get it done. Call a title company, and ask them how you can accomplish this, they always keep it legal, but they are in business to make money. The only problem I can see, is if Calif has your motor numbers on file as a As Built in a custom frame. It would be worth a phone call to see.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I would use the motor in a pre 70 frame and go thru the title company to get the 48 title then buy another motor and sell the old frame with the new motor or just sell the roller with the old title.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Maybe crash the 72, then salvage the 48 motor and rebuild another 48 with that mill. Just make sure you have a 48 frame.....as in "this is a 48 frame copper!"
The motor numbers are not on the title?

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
So since this post I have moved to alaska. So I took my title into to the DMV last week and asked the lady about switching it to read 1948HD. She ran my california title under the current special construction VIN and nothing came up what ever that means. So I told her how back in 1948 VIN was engine serial number as that is what is on my current California title 48ELxxxx under engine serial number sec.

Anyways she said it should not be a problem if i get a state trooper to look at my number on engine and tell him the whole story. Anyways I am not sure if I want to open a can of worms getting a trooper to inspect my bike. They really don't deal with bikes around here much and a california spec construction title is unheard of she had no idea what i was showing her but when you fill out the title request you fill in year make and model of bike. I am curious if my title says 48hd cause that is what motor says but I know my frame is a 1957 should my bike even be called a 48 anymore?

·
Registered
97 Posts
If the numbers are clean, it is a '48. The frame being a '57 model is of no concern. Don't create any more problems for yourself by bringing up the story about the SPCNS title.

·
Registered
805 Posts
I think you answered your own question about what to do when you said the special construction vin didn't come up in the DMV records. Register it as a '48 by the motor in Alaska like it should be.

·
Registered
3,691 Posts
it used to be standard practice for uninformed Cal DMV employees to blue tag all bikes that didn't have frame numbers, then later on the engine was used as the VIN, so many guys now days are removing the blue tags from "out of system" bikes and getting them registered as they should be to the engine numbers.
You see a lot of old Harleys now days with two little holes in the frame and no tag.
I'd pull that tag off and go get it registered right, if you get caught you could always just say that tag got torn off in shipping.

( wait for it......) here comes the guys that will say you will end up serving a double life sentence in Guantanamo bay if you do that..

·
Registered
29 Posts
As what torch said, I'd drill the rivets, have it inspected with the engine #s, if they are clean which they most likely are, you have a 48 HD.... save the tag and title and build cycle #2.

In AZ you can get a "bonded title". they inspect the bike and you buy an ins policy that is a percentage of the value of the bike just in case someone comes up later with any paperwor. then you walk away with a HD title. If said person shows up, they get the policy money... next time the title is transferred, the term "bonded" goes away..

1 - 15 of 15 Posts