Jockey Journal Forum banner
41 - 45 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
1,707 Posts
That's either mine (also occasionally updated in the thread on the Jockey Journal), or CT Neuman's. Mine is a rider. CT Neuman's is a completely over the top, insanely complicated and amazing build.

The 45U is basically a wrap for me at this time. I went back to the stock M51 Linkert. The M74B setup wasn't bad but it really didn't seem better, so there was no point.

The final pics are here 45U Done, and the build pics are here 45U Build
Really? That's interesting. my 41 Knuck is a different beast with a 74B on it. Pulls much better. Saw the bike on IG, turned out really lovely.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Agreed it turned out really sweet

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Really? That's interesting. my 41 Knuck is a different beast with a 74B on it. Pulls much better. Saw the bike on IG, turned out really lovely.
The m74 is a great carb. I can't speak to a knucklehead experience personally, but I have to believe that the flow characteristics are completely different between any OHV and the side valve motors. My personal opinion is that the side valve motors simply can't take advantage of a larger carb, at least not if you're doing anything less than close to wide open throttle. Again that's just opinion and a little bit of experience. For what it's worth, I'm unsure how I feel about the bombsite venturi as well.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Unless the side valve has had extensive porting and head work, they will not have the airflow to take advantage of a larger carb.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Unless the side valve has had extensive porting and head work, they will not have the airflow to take advantage of a larger carb.
I had fancy heads, I relieved the cylinders KR style, and smoothed the intake/exhaust ports. But all i do is regular riding (I'm not running at WOT on a beach in expensive clothing that is as crappy as it was 80 years ago), and for my purposes, going from a 1.25" carb to a 1.5" carb during normal use. So the added complexity and departure from stock just didn't make sense. So, I think we're saying the same thing, with the exception of whether or not the application (like racing as opposed to regular riding) is a factor. But otherwise I'm inclined to agree with you.

41 - 45 of 45 Posts