Jockey Journal Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
4,039 Posts
Might be an ideal time to relieve them jugs...

·
4,039 Posts
Oh. You sure did. I thought you had, too, and I just looked real quick at one of the pics and my eyes deceived me; it looked like a normal flattie jug the first time I glanced at it...you obviously already showed pics of your relief job.

Never mind me!

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Relief job ?
I’m interested what that entails
I’m coming up for a little refresh on my motor soon .

·
4,039 Posts
You're smoothing the area from intake valve to piston and piston to exhaust valve to help straighten the path the air/fuel mix (and what later becomes the exhaust) has to travel.

Scott actually showed us his relieved jug in the first post.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
ahh yes porting.

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 · (Edited)
I've done about 500 miles since the valve job. So far so good. I found a few other little things in the cam chest area that I wouldn't expect from a "pro" rebuilt motor, but nothing major.

Modified the breather per victory library specs.

Valve covers leak a bit more than I'd like, but those style covers are never great in my opinion. But at least I know the oil pumps are working.

Replaced the exhaust with a gas box stock exhaust so could run saddle bags and have a more traditional look. Then I added a tip and a hidden bracket.

Attachments

·
Registered
933 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
I used ospho in the tanks when I got them, just to stop the rust. But rust kept flaking off and causing blockages. I don't like tank liner and will only use liner as an absolute last resort.

Im used to stronger acids so when I've tried evaporust in the past it just seemed to do nothing. But I decided this was my best shot to get the tanks sorta clean before lining with redkote.

Well, low and behold, after 3 days things looked better. After 5 the tanks looked so clean I couldn't believe it. Since no pin holes showed up, I didn't even have to line them. So, evaporust has my vote. The only downside is the $20 if you need to buy 5 gallons.

I didn't take any before pics, but the fuel line pic tells the story.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,804 Posts
Love this bike. The exhaust doodad looks like a 19th-century prosthetic device. In a good way!

·
4,039 Posts
Very nice. The screw-style valve covers with O-rings have been pretty dry for me.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
Great Job
How Is the engine with the modifications you made? power wise any notable difference?

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you want more power and reliability, better parts availability. You might think about putting shovelhead heads on it. If you want to ride it more. I'm not a fan of different model heads with different lowers . But in this case .I think the lines of the bike are excellent With the shovel upper and UL lower. We use to do this alot with the UL's to make them alot better. Pics are from SuperCycle.

·
Registered
2,494 Posts
But what’s the upside?
Why not just use a complete genny shovel motor
Is the mix better(than a shovel head)
Could you explain please or it’s done just because it can be done?

·
4,039 Posts
Fun fact, albeit off-topic: "Steve Nelsen" (also "Steve Nelson') was the bullshit moniker of Steve Iorio (of SIE springer fame), who also owned Nostalgia Cycle, maker of the SuperVee and Supercycle Magazine that that article came from. Supercycle mostly existed to hock Supervees. magazine was long on pictures and promises and short on... well, delivery of those promises.

Guy even faked out the LA times... Making It in Motorcycle Business No Easy Ride : Steve Nelson has found success drafting behind the enormous appeal of Harley-Davidson Inc. by selling aftermarket parts.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts