Jockey Journal Forum banner

19" rear wheel

2828 Views 10 Replies 4 Participants Last post by  Skibo
Hey guys, I tried searching but didn't find to much info. I want to run a 19" in the back of my shovel build. I guess I have three questions. Is a star hub the same front and back or are they different? Is running a 19" in the rear as simple as just lacing a 19" front rim to a rear hub? What's the typical rim width of a 19" in the rear? Thanks guys.

-Chris
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Factory star hubs are all the same as far as fitment. Front or rear. Stock VLs in the '30s had 19s on both ends, so did WR and KR racers. You can lace anything you like to a star hub. Factory rims were WM3. A 400-19 will fit it! Wider ones will fit too. You can buy WM4 types and run 19" dirt track tires.
Robbie
Thanks Robbie, that's pretty much everything in one post. I just googled WM3 and it's coming up as 2.15". Does this sound right?

Thanks again.

-Chris
That is a standard size for a 4.00 cross section tire. I have used 19" 70s Sportster fronts to do what you are attempting. Stock Nortons also used a 40 hole 19 on the rear. They work too!
Robbie
You can do it (I did) and I'm running 4.50-400R19's front and back. One thing you may have an issue with depending on your frame is wheel fitment due to sidewall height. If there is a frame crossover anywhere near the wheel it will either leave you with no wheel adjustment or worse it will hit. Measure from your current tread and check spacing before you get too crazy.

This is before I moved the crossover forward about 4":
See less See more
You don't say what the frame is, so just in case, this setup will not work in a swingarm frame using the rectangular disc brake swingarm. (or maybe just barely - if you run the wheel all the way back in the chain adjustment slots and use a chain tensioner.)
Thanks for the info guys. The setup is going in a early wishbone style repop. Avon recommends a WM4 (2.50) for a 400-19 so I think I'm gonna look for a steel sporty front wheel. Thanks again fellas.

-Chris
I think I'm gonna look for a steel sporty front wheel.[/QUOTE said:
Try to find a later one marked T 2.50x19 TLA DOT on the outside. You may even find one with MT instead of the TLA. That's OK too. And, if you've already got the WM3, that will work just fine. It's within the range that the tire is designed for.

The '70's steel XL/FX rims are not marked on the outside, but will have the part number (43002-70 for the '64-'72 style drum front brake or 43018-73 for the '73 and newer aluminum disc brake hubs) stamped on the inside near the valve stem hole. Those, along with their aluminum cousins are CM profile rims designed for Goodyear Taper Bead Base tires. I'd stay away from those. Guys use the flanged aluminum ones because there is no easy alternative. With the 19" steel, you can get the absolutely correct size and profile.

WM, by the way, is a rim profile designation. The number following it indicates width. I think the Govt mandated that rim sizes and profiles be on the outside of the rim, visible with the tire mounted, since about 1980 or so.

From an Avon tire catalog:

See less See more
Thanks for the info guys. The setup is going in a early wishbone style repop. Avon recommends a WM4 (2.50) for a 400-19 so I think I'm gonna look for a steel sporty front wheel. Thanks again fellas.

-Chris
Chris, you're definitely going to have to cut the rear crossmember out and move it forward to get that setup to fit as I showed above. It's not hard but you'll have no adjustment AT ALL if you don't.
Try to find a later one marked T 2.50x19 TLA DOT on the outside. You may even find one with MT instead of the TLA. That's OK too. And, if you've already got the WM3, that will work just fine. It's within the range that the tire is designed for.

The '70's steel XL/FX rims are not marked on the outside, but will have the part number (43002-70 for the '64-'72 style drum front brake or 43018-73 for the '73 and newer aluminum disc brake hubs) stamped on the inside near the valve stem hole. Those, along with their aluminum cousins are CM profile rims designed for Goodyear Taper Bead Base tires. I'd stay away from those. Guys use the flanged aluminum ones because there is no easy alternative. With the 19" steel, you can get the absolutely correct size and profile.

WM, by the way, is a rim profile designation. The number following it indicates width. I think the Govt mandated that rim sizes and profiles be on the outside of the rim, visible with the tire mounted, since about 1980 or so.

From an Avon tire catalog:

Thanks M.O., So the only two wheels I should be looking for are the ones that say TLA or MT?

Chris, you're definitely going to have to cut the rear crossmember out and move it forward to get that setup to fit as I showed above. It's not hard but you'll have no adjustment AT ALL if you don't.
Thanks for the info Skibo. Is it possible that you ran into this problem because your frame is aftermarket? I've seen a few factory wishbone framed bikes in person with 19's in the rear and everything looked stock and unmodified.

-Chris
It's easy enough to check with a tape measure. I'm just saying you're most likely going to have to move the crossmember.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.