Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am wanting to run a 19” rear wheel on my panhead project, just recently purchased a replica wishbone frame and when mocking up the rear fender/wheel, the axle is at the back of the axle plates. I’m worried about not having any room for adjustment in my chain. The fender touches the cross tube, and I have about 1/2” clearance between the tire and fender. I know 19” wheels have been run on the rear, anyone have any advice?

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
I am wanting to run a 19” rear wheel on my panhead project, just recently purchased a replica wishbone frame and when mocking up the rear fender/wheel, the axle is at the back of the axle plates. I’m worried about not having any room for adjustment in my chain. The fender touches the cross tube, and I have about 1/2” clearance between the tire and fender. I know 19” wheels have been run on the rear, anyone have any advice?
This does sound odd- I run a 19 on my knuck and did on my flathead, you should have much more room for adjustment than that - so, starting point I'd say is to measure the frame dimensions agaisnt a manual for factory dims. Something isn't right.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This does sound odd- I run a 19 on my knuck and did on my flathead, you should have much more room for adjustment than that - so, starting point I'd say is to measure the frame dimensions agaisnt a manual for factory dims. Something isn't right.
I just measured from the cross meme we to the middle of the axle plate, then compared it to my original panhead frame, it’s about 3/4 shorter than stock frame.

·
Registered
948 Posts
A 5.00 x 16 wheel and tire has a diameter of 26". A 4.00 x 19 wheel and tire has a diameter of 27". You gain an inch in total diameter. The clearance distance between your frame members and fender has to be over 13" on the 5.00 x 16 and 13 1/2" on the 4:00 x 19.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts