Jockey Journal Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put a 18" rim on my new build. I plan on using a 450 tire (Firestone ANS or Champ). Can someone recommend a rim that will lace up to a Harley disc hub? I've been looking for a 18x2.5-3" rim for HD hubs but I have come up a little empty. I've been to Buchanan's site, but I didn't see much and they were pretty pricey.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I will probably use a Harley hub from the late '90s (Softail,Dyna), But I may go with an earlier disc hub if it will work with my softail brake. It's going in a Paughco stock width frame so I probably have a few options.

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Choose a rim that's intended (and drilled) for a star hub..Softail hubs use the same set of spokes as the early star hubs..

·
Registered
5,194 Posts
Yes, I used Sporty rims a few times with Softail hubs..

Here is a Softail hub with a 18" H-D vintage rim..

·
Registered
355 Posts
I used a 90s dual flange harley hub and laced it to the repop 18" knuckle rims you can find on ebay. I had to use 19" spokes since the repop rim wasn't drop center. Pretty easy to do on your own.

·
Registered
706 Posts
I used a 90s dual flange harley hub and laced it to the repop 18" knuckle rims you can find on ebay. I had to use 19" spokes since the repop rim wasn't drop center. Pretty easy to do on your own.
same here. the spokes are 8 1/4" as opposed to 8" for 18" deep drop.

dual flange + 18" knuckle shallow drop = 8 1/4" spokes (19" kit)
dual flange + 18" later deep drop center = 8" spokes (18" kit)

the best advice I can give beyond this is CALL BUCHANANS! they know their stuff and are really helpful even if you don't buy from them.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
same here. the spokes are 8 1/4" as opposed to 8" for 18" deep drop.

dual flange + 18" knuckle shallow drop = 8 1/4" spokes (19" kit)
dual flange + 18" later deep drop center = 8" spokes (18" kit)

the best advice I can give beyond this is CALL BUCHANANS! they know their stuff and are really helpful even if you don't buy from them.
Way ahead of you. I already emailed them about plain ss spokes for the
Knuck to St wheel. In the past, it took awhile for them to respond so I don't expect to hear from them for a few days at least, but I'm in no huge hurry.
Thanks a bunch for the spoke length info, are the repops deep or shallow? The ones on Ebay are Knuck "copies" and from what I can see in the blurry pics they look kinda shallow, I just want to be sure.

Thanks again,
Lon.

·
Registered
706 Posts
Way ahead of you. I already emailed them about plain ss spokes for the
Knuck to St wheel. In the past, it took awhile for them to respond so I don't expect to hear from them for a few days at least, but I'm in no huge hurry.
Thanks a bunch for the spoke length info, are the repops deep or shallow? The ones on Ebay are Knuck "copies" and from what I can see in the blurry pics they look kinda shallow, I just want to be sure.

Thanks again,
Lon.
repops are shallow. not sure when the deep drops came out, post knuck I think, could be wrong.

·
Registered
267 Posts
I apologize if I am hijacking here, but I have a dual-flange harley hub that I want to lace to a 18" british WM3, does anynody see any problems with this? I am going to be calling Buchanans for the spokes. Maybe this will be an option for you too Motocrash.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Feel free to hijack.
The only problem the might arise is spoke angle. The rim holes might be drilled at a different angle than what's needed for your hub. I'm going to lace a repop Knuck 18" to a dual flange '85-'99 hub. I've got all of the parts inbound. I'm going to lace it up, but since I don't have a jig, I'm going to farm out the truing.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Well, so far, here's what I've got. I have a set of spokes, they are 8 1/8" (the length that Buchanans recommends) and the length is fine, the problem is the bend is too "open". The heads don't lay flat against the hub and they look unsafe. The bend needs to be at least 90 degrees if not tighter for the heads to lay flat. I contacted Buch's over a month ago and have gotten no response. I Emailed them again today. I tried calling a couple times with no luck. I work nights and with the time diff, and the kids, it's tough for me to play on the phone during their regular hours.
The spokes I have aren't Buchanans, the hub I ended up with is a 2002 Softy hub. Buchanans says spokes for this hub are the same used for all harley rears from 1936-2010. I Emailed them and asked them about the bend but, like I said, have so for gotten no response. They have a set of pre-packeged spokes on their site for this wheel. As much as I hate sending things back, I may have to take the chance that they'll work (the bend will be tight enough).
Anybody running a 18" Knuck rim on the rear and not using Buchanans spokes? Those of you who are using Buchanan spokes, are the bends tight?
I know I'm being a little anal about this, but, I really hate buying parts and fitting them up only to have to tear them down and pay to send them back.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts