Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having some issues getting the right part from Cycle electrics.
Needed a new CE-500 L end bell cap regulator for the DGV-5000 12v generator.
The CE-500 L is a lower voltage model designed specifically for the smaller 12v battery that sits into the horseshoe oil tank.

First they sent me the CE-540 and now (a month later) the CE-500 which is the standard model for most applications.

Has anyone used the regular output CE-500 with the small 12v battery ?
I'm just wondering if its fine to use that regular output rather than the CE-500L with the lower output.

I dont run any accessories. Just head light, running light and brake. No electric start.. plain and simple... Just not in the mood to kill more shit if I don't need to. Would like to ride sometime this summer!

thanks
t

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
It depends more on your battery than anything else. When Cycle Electric designed the low output regulator a lot of guys were using a 2.2 amp hour Yamaha dirt bike battery. Back then it was the only one that fit in the stock oil tank in the space for the old tall 6V battery. Problem was, it was an old style lead acid battery, and the normal output from the regulator exceeded the charging rate by enough that it would boil them dry. I worked with one guy who stacked two of them and wired them in parallel. It fit and it helped, but he still needed new batteries every Spring.

But some of the newer sealed batteries that guys are using now, like alarm backup batteries and emergency lighting batteries have a higher amp hour rating, and thus a higher allowed charging rate.

So, what battery are you using, or planning to use?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It depends more on your battery than anything else. When Cycle Electric designed the low output regulator a lot of guys were using a 2.2 amp hour Yamaha dirt bike battery. Back then it was the only one that fit in the stock oil tank in the space for the old tall 6V battery. Problem was, it was an old style lead acid battery, and the normal output from the regulator exceeded the charging rate by enough that it would boil them dry. I worked with one guy who stacked two of them and wired them in parallel. It fit and it helped, but he still needed new batteries every Spring.

But some of the newer sealed batteries that guys are using now, like alarm backup batteries and emergency lighting batteries have a higher amp hour rating, and thus a higher allowed charging rate.

So, what battery are you using, or planning to use?
I have the Yuasa 12v 5.5A-3B which is the smaller 12v that fits in standing up right ,
I can also use my old cycle-tron II which is a fully sealed guy that can run sideways

1 - 3 of 3 Posts