Jockey Journal Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that nobody wants to hear about new bikes but I need to know if a 2006 softail frame is wider than previous modles or not. If they areny then how'd they get the 200mm tire in there

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Wider fender struts, wider fender, narrower belt. Not sure but just some guesses on how you put gayer rear tires on most bikes.

1941ratrod said:
I know that nobody wants to hear about new bikes but I need to know if a 2006 softail frame is wider than previous modles or not. If they areny then how'd they get the 200mm tire in there

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
1941ratrod said:
My neighbor just put a 200 mm rear on his '04 Deuce. Just barely fit. Added some HD mag wheels. Looks dumb and cost a bunch of money so he's happy.

·
Registered
798 Posts
ssjones, just go back over to your nieghbors' with a measuring tape or some type of measuring tool, get the width from axle plate to axle plate, measure the width of the belt drive pully. What size rim did he purchase? Just good info to know.

Some people do like the wide tire 180/200 and not the 250-300 look.

·
Registered
591 Posts
I've had a new one apart and the swing-arm is 10 inches or so axle plate to plate, same as a skinny tire I think. There's a notch in the show side upper tube. The fender strut support ears cast into the frame are wider. 3/4 inch belt, the factory wheel's offset to the right a pube.

The dealers swear the swing-arms are NOT interchangeable. I'm building an '04 and 2 '06s mid-month, I'll compare 'em when I cut 'em up.

Attachments

·
Registered
798 Posts
Conder said:
The dealers swear the swing-arms are NOT interchangeable. I'm building an '04 and 2 '06s mid-month, I'll compare 'em when I cut 'em up.
Conder, The shock mounts are different diameter or something like that, maybe the pivot tube is different too?
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Conder said:
I've had a new one apart and the swing-arm is 10 inches or so axle plate to plate, same as a skinny tire I think. There's a notch in the show side upper tube. The fender strut support ears cast into the frame are wider. 3/4 inch belt, the factory wheel's offset to the right a pube.

I Know that the duce has a wider swing arm I just wonderd if they used a verson of that or not. And as far as gay goes you cant pound torque to the ground w/out some rubber.

·
Registered
591 Posts
This'll be the first time I get the chance to have the two next to each other, so I'll do some measurin', take some pictures and post 'em up. I've never worked on a softail before the '06 so all I've got to go on for the older ones is what the dealers tell me.

I think the 200x17 on these things is in perfect proportion for bikes with a full primary on 'em. Even better than 18s, because the sidewalls taller. A dealer told me the other day the Harley engineers are un-officially saying these 3/4 inch belts won't break. Even with a Hot Rod motor.

Right. So who's broken one?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've broke the belt on My 2000 and its 1 1/4 wide I think Ill go w/ the Dohtery chain set up.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Abe_Lugo said:
ssjones, just go back over to your nieghbors' with a measuring tape or some type of measuring tool, get the width from axle plate to axle plate, measure the width of the belt drive pully. What size rim did he purchase? Just good info to know.

Some people do like the wide tire 180/200 and not the 250-300 look.
I'll pop down with a tape measure and get some specs.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ssjones said:
I'll pop down with a tape measure and get some specs.
The 04 duce Is diffrent than '00 to ,04 softail frame but the 06 might be the same as the duce. thats what im trying to find out.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
1941ratrod said:
The 04 duce Is diffrent than '00 to ,04 softail frame but the 06 might be the same as the duce. thats what im trying to find out.
Went down this afternoon, it's only a 180 (and it just fits). I asked what happened to the 200? "Won't fit". Sorry for the bad info.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Not an expert but, I think the FLSTs didn't change. The FXSTs have the wider tire and the one inch belt. So both pulleys have changed. The one inch belt is like the 5 blade razor. Where will the maddness end. Tim

1 - 13 of 13 Posts