What to do with a TR6 SC? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-27-2009, 07:07 PM   #1
bp131

Default What to do with a TR6 SC?

I got the TR6 out here from West Virginia. My plan for the bike was to go for the "bobber" look. I did an internet search on the numbers TR6SC DUXXXX (same numbers on the frame and motor). Just from the research I did it seems to be a rare find. My dad got it in a pile of pieces and slowly got it back together. Now I got it and it's my turn finish it whether it's customized or restored. Its kind of a Frankenstein deal with mis matched pieces and parts but like I said the numbers match and there is a clean title. It just needs some TLC. The plan was to do some tinkering to have it ready to ride by spring. Is this actually a rare bike and what do you guys think would be the next move? I have been checking out this sight for the last few months and I appreciate the amount of talent and knowledge you all have. I'm new to the "vintage" motorcycle world and definitely have respect for these old machines but at the same time I want to be out riding by spring time. Check out the pics.

Last edited by bp131; 05-27-2013 at 03:14 PM. Reason: Figured out how to upload pics
bp131 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
fouraceswes

Default Re: What to do with a TR6 SC?

I would stick it right on that auction site. Even if not original, there are a lot of Triumph pieces on it. I would not butcher it, and I am the guy who butchers everything. I have a soft spot for the SC's. Or keep it and enjoy it, collect the parts you know are correct and restore it one day.

Last edited by Dragon; 12-27-2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: Sales offers and discussions by PM please...
fouraceswes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:41 PM   #3
Triumphteer

i am with wes on this one. there are hundreds of chops you can pick up, cheap.
Triumphteer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-27-2009, 09:49 PM   #4
ruffchopper

to close to original to cut up that SC
ruffchopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:16 PM   #5
lackluster

I agree, build it as an SC or pass it on to someone else and make enough to chop a more common model Triumph and have some cash left over. Means more money in your pocket and one more SC left in the world.
lackluster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 10:36 PM   #6
bp131

After further review on the field. There is no way I'm gonna hack this thing up. Dumb luck this landed in my lap. I have been doing more research and if I'm not mistaken and I usually am, there was only 60 of the this particular year manufactured.
Old 12-27-2009, 11:38 PM   #7
BSAketcase

Thats definately a keeper. I just found a 64 tr6sc also but doesnt have much for stock parts.

I've found there isnt a lot for info out there because of the low production numbers of these bikes, but I've found most of the parts on em are shared with the bonny and can be found pretty easily, although it looks like you have most of em there.

I REALLY recommend keeping it as is.

BTW, take that penny off of the left case half and save that bastard, thats a lucky find!
BSAketcase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 12:13 AM   #8
scottto93

probably one of those bikes you'd never score again in a lifetime....stash it away....
scottto93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 10:57 AM   #9
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch

Don't cut it up, if you restore it you will have a fantastic bike to ride and a great return on your investment.
I get so tired of seeing kids that take a good numbers matching Triumph hack up the frame, weld on a hard tail ride it for 30 days and then realize it aint the bike to ride along side of the Evo Harleys at 80 MPH on a 400 mile road trip.
Old 12-28-2009, 05:02 PM   #10
undead

please dont destroy it if you want a bobber pick up something already butchered listen to wes at four aces he has alot of info to give
undead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2009, 06:29 PM   #11
bp131

Don't sweat it fella's. I going to break it down, give it super good cleaning and figure out a basic paint scheme that resembles the original. Nothing to fancy. the bike is 46 years old and it has probably had an interesting life. I think the end result should represent its age. As I will ride the shit out of it as had the old timer that used to race it in West Virginia. Stay tuned for picture updates. By the way does anybody have any info on the Eldora race Track in Fairmont WV. It used to have a oval track and then a drag strip before it closed that's all I've found.
Old 12-28-2009, 07:19 PM   #12
Dragon

Personally I think it's mighty hasty of all these guys passing judgement, re "butchering" "cutting up" "hacking" "destroy"...

When obviously you know what you have, and value it enough already just to ship from coast to coast....

And that's the beauty of the unit Triiumph. you can do oodles of customising without "cutting" the first little tab or bracket off the frame, to the point of changing the rear section; and still bolt everything back as-was, someday.

Just save key early parts like seat, fender, oiltank/batt cover, wiring harness, etc on your shelf. Fit another fender to bolt a sleek custom taillight & seat onto, etc.....it aint rocket science, and it aint gotta be stock-preservation/purist-mindset.

Just dont alter anything you cant find commonplace (or drill or weld the frame), when the "resto" bug bites, you have the same thing you started with, from on those shelves.

Like you said -

Quote:

I....definitely have respect for these old machines but at the same time I want to to do some tinkering to have it ready to ride by spring.
Just look at the "swingarm customs" thread at how cool a lightly cleaned-up stocker can be.

Enjoy.....while at the same time "saving for the future"...

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 05:14 PM   #13
bp131

I guess this is what you do. You save your change and get your utilities turned off every so often for a little part here and a little bolt there. Maybe a set of piston's with your cashed in change. Anyway, this is where I am at with it. Lot's of funky stuff going on with this thing. The tank is silver because I don't want it to rust and that was the last can of paint before I quit huffing (the metallics are the best, especially gold and copper but silver will do).

No May Goosta

What's in your sludge trap

Old 05-04-2010, 05:35 PM   #14
vorhese

Come hither
www.bayareavintageriders.com
Old 05-04-2010, 07:02 PM   #15
toyguy

I'd leave it alone and I have adult a-d-d
Old 05-05-2010, 09:24 PM   #16
shades34

glad to see you went this route. Looking good. Keep cashing that change in!!
shades34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 10:11 PM   #17
suprrat

stock rocks

i have nothing to say in this area!
suprrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 04:43 PM   #18
bp131

That's Funny, I just got off the phone with a guy that new the old timer that owned it in the sixties. He might think it was a hill climber but does know it drag raced. They fittted it with a fiberglass tank and had an orange vinyl seat made for it. The upholstery shop guy was good friends of the race guy. Interesting enough no one remembers any lights on the bike it also has a 17 tooth front gear. Hope that doesn't throw a wrench in the east/west coast SC. According to the guy this bike was no joke. He told me never got into the motor but the first guy could never leave anything alone so who knows what he did. He (the second guy) got rid of it because his kid got a hold of the bike and he felt his kid was ready for and old bike. He gave me a number of another guy whose dad ran a club called "The Centipedes". He mentioned that guy might have pictures from "back in the day". So keeping in tradition of the ol' timers, and it's in my nature I subscribe to the theory of function before fashion. So the build is going well, actually I have saved enough money to get my parts to the machine shop. I've been fortunate enough to fall into good graces with some old road racer/engine builders that have been kind enough to point me in the right direction and share some of the old tricks. Before anybody throws a tissy all frame modifications have been done to "sacrificial" parts. The originals have been set aside for when I am ready for the restore. But for now it's play time. A little birdy told that I might be getting new tires and shocks for my birthday, which is huge for a tight wad like myself.

Proof of no choppy chop!

The junk yard donors for the extended swing arm.

Lots of free time

Eh, couldn't hurt.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #19
reverb

...hello man,
in what part of the swing arm will you cut?
Im very interested because Im planning to extend it about 2" but not sure exactly where

thanks
reverb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:29 PM   #20
bp131

reverb,

Check your e-mail.