Tech week - swingarm axle stuck - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > Tech Archives

Old 08-30-2007, 07:31 PM   #1
Bobb

Default Tech week - swingarm axle stuck

I'm changing the rules. Here's one for you to solve. I will buy a JJ t-shirt for the person who provides information leading to the removal of this axle. "Use a bigger hammer" does not count. I don't have a press. It a T100 frame. It goes in far enough to free one side of the swingarm, but gets stuck at that point (either direction). Well ... ?

Bobb is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-30-2007, 07:35 PM   #2
bwagner

Default Re: Tech week - swingarm axle stuck

Hey Bob...take a section of pipe that fits over the axle cut it long enough to swallow the entire axle, then use a length of all-thread and a couple nuts and washers to pull it out of the frame. Be sure tu use plenty of penetrating oil on there to help free thing up. It should come right out, and there no need to get a bigger hammer(or any hammer for that matter) Do you want me to pm you my shipping address? Just kidding, but it will come out with this method.
bwagner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #3
Billdozer2

Are you planning on using the swingarm or going rigid? Cut the swing arm pivot points off and then you have only the frame to worry about right? Cut the part of the axle that sticks out on the left and just pound it back into the frame.

Or try a bigger hammer, lube and heat? Just an idea...

Old 08-30-2007, 07:38 PM   #4
DougC

there could be a locking tab on the axle. if you lift the swing arm up (or at a certain point up or down) it may let you slide it out.
Thats my guess
DougC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 07:49 PM   #5
jscoma47

if all else fails use the force.
seriously the above advice seems to cover it.
jscoma47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:04 PM   #6
kbg

Heat the bit it's stuck in.
kev..
kbg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2007, 08:47 PM   #7
ambivolent

Send a message via AIM to ambivolent Send a message via Yahoo to ambivolent

i have a t100 frame and i had no problem disassembling the swing arm but i would heat it up like previously said before
Old 08-30-2007, 10:11 PM   #8
Bobb

I have a service manual and have confirmed there's no locking tab, but good idea and thanks for the suggestion. I've tried heat and that didn't seem to help. Bwagner had a good suggestion, but I don't think that threaded rod is going to cut it. The ID of that axle is only about 3/8 and it is stuck so hard that I'm sure it would strip the rod or nut threads before moving. But that did give me an idea. I used my largest C-clamp but couldn't get a straight press on it. I did get it to move about 1/16 before the C-clamp itself started to bend ... it's stuck that bad! I think it's going to take a big hydraulic press and a shitload of heat. Any other suggestions? Anyone in the Detroit area have a big press and some time to spare?

Old 08-31-2007, 05:56 AM   #9
76shuvlinoff

It's probably gt a step worn in it and it won't slip through the bearing/bushing. Had same type of problem on my swingarm shovel. Might have even rolled an edge up now with all your efforts.

More finesse less force.
76shuvlinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 05:58 AM   #10
76shuvlinoff

.....so cut the exposed end off it and push it back the other way, at least the swingarm should drop off??
76shuvlinoff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 08:21 AM   #11
KnuckleBuster

Looks like you've got some rust there. Try spraying it with PB Blaster or WD40 and just keep working it back and forth until it disolves the rust. Maybe?

- General George S. Patton, Jr.
KnuckleBuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 09:51 AM   #12
flypa38

Here's a couple things I can think of.....not sure if this will help at all but I hope it does!
If the heat didn't help, try it again, but this time melt some candle wax onto the axle. While it's liquified it has some pretty amazing capillary action and lubes it up good. Plus the heat will expand the tube you're trying to extract the axle from.....the two things together may help.
Check to make sure that your grease fittings are backed out a little if there are any. On my swingarm pivot, there were two grease fittings and one of 'em must have been replaced by the wrong one over the years. It was sticking slightly too far into it's hole and scored the shaft a little.
The only other thing I can think of is probably something you thought of already. See if you can drive it out the other direction.
Like I said....might not help, but hope it does!
Johnny
Old 08-31-2007, 09:56 AM   #13
PatrickCL

Sand or shave the o.d. of the axle down as far as needed on one of the sides sticking out and it should slide right out.
PatrickCL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2007, 11:17 PM   #14
Bobb

Screw finesse, it took a bigger universal adjustment tool to get the job done.

I liked bwagner’s suggestion and on closer inspection the axle would take a ½" threaded rod so I made this:

It wouldn’t even budge the damn thing. I reversed the device hoping to move the axle in the other direction, but no deal despite the fact that bwagner’s device was making plenty of pressure:

Now I’m pissed, where’s my sledge hammer! I decided to try billdozer2's suggestion of cutting off the exposed section and going the other direction. I beat the shit out of the axle to get it moving the other direction, then cut if off as short as possible. I tried bwagner’s device one last time and it moved the axle just into the frame casting before getting stuck again. A great device for a less resistant axle for sure! So out comes a bit of black pipe with a decent shoulder for a drift and the biggest hand sledge from my inventory. I mustered up a few choice words from my newly expanded vocabulary and ...

... victory! Axle on top, drift in the middle, cut off part of axle on bottom. There was some serious corrosion holding things up inside that frame! So after all that I tried fitting my bolt-on rigid only to discover it won’t fit my 500cc frame. It have the right width dimensions at the top and bottom mount points but is about 1" too tall so I’m guessing it's for a 650cc frame. No big deal, I’ll list it here soon when I’m off probation.

So, billdozer2 was the first to suggest cutting the axle and going back in with it. Bill, check your PM and send me your vitals and I’ll contact Ryan about a JJ t-shirt. To everyone else, thanks for your suggestions.

Bob
Old 09-01-2007, 12:34 AM   #15
flypa38

Glad ya got it outta there man! Looks a little pitted!!!!!
Johnny
Old 09-01-2007, 12:43 AM   #16
Billdozer2

Ha! Recognize!

See, I'm great at taking things apart, it's the gettin' it all back together part that always whips my ass...

Cool idea for a post, Bobb.