Speaking of springer disc brake setups.... - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 02-13-2017, 02:08 PM   #1
Irish Rich

Default Speaking of springer disc brake setups....

Buckman50 had mentioned in hammerweight's drum brake thread about using a Per. Machine brake if he chose to go to a disc on his bike, so I thought I'd put this up here.

There are a lot of springer disc brake kit options out there if you choose to go with a wide glide-type hub. But, I wanted to use a narrow glide hub 21" wheel, and everybody knows there are clearance problems on most of the caliper bodies to the angle of the narrow glide spokes.

I used a 2 piston Brembo caliper that was originally on the back of a Ducati Monster. Nice thing about this caliper, is the fact that the banjo bolt and the bleeder are the same thread, so you can switch them in the ports, so you can run them on either the R/H or L/H side of your wheel. I'm running mine on the R/H side. The caliper body clears the spokes by about a 1/4".

I had Fab Kevin cut me one of his stainless floating brackets, and used an old 11 1/2" GMA iron floating rotor with an aluminum carrier I found at the swap meet, that I vented.

With the cost of the rotor, I have less in this entire setup than just the cost of the PM 2 piston caliper springer brake kit alone, and I have bigger brake pistons and pads, and way better braking over the PM kit, it works super.

Also, I don't know if everybody knows this, but Paughco has an aluminum adapter flange now that bolts to your '36-'66 star hub, in place of the drum, and allows you to bolt any 2000-up 11 1/2" disc directly to it. Paughco's part number for it is 236BRS.

Irish Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-14-2017, 07:33 AM   #2
hammerweight

Default Re: Speaking of springer disc brake setups....

Nice job,
The cast caliper is so much more fitting than the billet aluminum!
Could a wide glide wheel be used? I have one ....lol
Any more pics of the bike to get a better overall look?
I'm still on the fence...disc or drum...
Old 02-14-2017, 08:14 AM   #3
richbob

Maybe think about where you are (location)and type of riding your doing
I nearly get killed every day on my bikes ,but you cover brakes and anticipate a potential stupid move by other motorists and give yourself distance
I've come off my Honda xr650 r more times than I can count due to front end washout.

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 02-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #4
Irish Rich

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammerweight View Post
Nice job,
The cast caliper is so much more fitting than the billet aluminum!
Could a wide glide wheel be used? I have one ....lol
Any more pics of the bike to get a better overall look?
I'm still on the fence...disc or drum...
You can use a wide glide wheel, you'll just have to check the brake stay clearance on the inside of the springer legs for interference. You may have to go to a rod with female heim joints vs. the bar with male for clearance.

Here's an overall pic of the bike, but it isn't exactly a bobber. It's the bike I rode on the Hot Bike Tour last September....

Irish Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 03:44 PM   #5
buckman50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rich View Post
Buckman50 had mentioned in hammerweight's drum brake thread about using a Per. Machine brake if he chose to go to a disc on his bike, so I thought I'd put this up here.

There are a lot of springer disc brake kit options out there if you choose to go with a wide glide-type hub. But, I wanted to use a narrow glide hub 21" wheel, and everybody knows there are clearance problems on most of the caliper bodies to the angle of the narrow glide spokes.

I used a 2 piston Brembo caliper that was originally on the back of a Ducati Monster. Nice thing about this caliper, is the fact that the banjo bolt and the bleeder are the same thread, so you can switch them in the ports, so you can run them on either the R/H or L/H side of your wheel. I'm running mine on the R/H side. The caliper body clears the spokes by about a 1/4".

I had Fab Kevin cut me one of his stainless floating brackets, and used an old 11 1/2" GMA iron floating rotor with an aluminum carrier I found at the swap meet, that I vented.

With the cost of the rotor, I have less in this entire setup than just the cost of the PM 2 piston caliper springer brake kit alone, and I have bigger brake pistons and pads, and way better braking over the PM kit, it works super.

Also, I don't know if everybody knows this, but Paughco has an aluminum adapter flange now that bolts to your '36-'66 star hub, in place of the drum, and allows you to bolt any 2000-up 11 1/2" disc directly to it. Paughco's part number for it is 236BRS.

Slick...and much pertier than the PM setup.
buckman50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 04:59 PM   #6
supercrouton

Thanks for this post Rich! I am in need of a good solution for the same narrow glide issues that you've solved in aces. I PM'd you the specifics. Thanks in advance, Dan.

Angry Monkey Motorcycles official website
supercrouton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017, 07:18 AM   #7
Frankenstein

Here's another disk brake setup using HD parts I came up with:

Frankenstein is offline   Reply With Quote