Jockey Journal Forum banner

The Bitsa Thunderbird Build - Swingarm Pre-unit Ripper

20K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  vorhese 
#1 ·
I'm loving all the Triumph builds going on, so time to start my next one.

The goal of this bike is have something to rip around on the street, and also on the trails with. Instead of a full on custom (and yet another hardtail), I'm wanting to do a stripped down stocker. I'm going to aim for a 3 year completion time, motor first this time. I learned my lesson on the last one.

I started with this: 1953 Thunderbird motor cases, and barrel, and gearbox and a 1955 frame. Also included an oil tank, a rigid oil tank, and a rear wheel.

Angry Monkey Dan sold me a front end and side mount Bates

Small City Cycles Todd gave me a front wheel for a drawing trade

I collected a few more parts at Clubman's Swap last year

some ebay purchases

mock up
I plan on getting an iron head

My plans are something along these lines. My boy will be 5 years old I'm hoping when it's done, so we will be riding together at the park.

ALL DONATIONS WELCOME!!! :)

See less See more
#4 ·
Nice score on that rear fender but I don't know why yet but it just doesn't look right mounted tot he bike. It shouldn't have so much of a gap unless you just have it resting on the top of the shock bolts. Otherwise, it looks great....use of stock gas tank, fenders and oil tank, etc. etc. and I look forward to seeing this completed 6T !!

#5 ·
Yeh a few things are odd about the fender. Sides are trimmed, rear mounting spot seems odd. I didn't have much to compare it to when I found it and I was too eager to not have to pay shipping on ebay. I'll either make it work or find another.

#10 ·
I like to make things harder and more expensive than they need to be. I've got to start saving for motor bits so it will be a while, so technically it is a break! Plus I have 2 non-JJ-style builds to finish. I plang on picking up a small unicorn I've been chasing for years at Christmas time, so that will also distract me...

#12 ·
Here's a little update on this project. I managed to get a different rear fender for $15 that had already been cut where I wanted. Craig at Front St sent me some Webco style bars. And I managed to pick up a BT&E tail light for cheap. I have my motor cases at Wes' shop to get some machine work done soonish. I have a lead on a very nice '55 T100 tank. And a buddy is compiling a package for me with an ironhead, unit crank, and other motor goodies.

#20 ·
Not too common... they pop up on ebay for $300-$500 or so, but I'm cheap so I had to wait until I could snipe one for much less. The ironhead isnt particularly rare, but ebay is littered with damaged ones $75-200. I did some bartering for this nice one.

#21 ·
Yes, that tank is rare. It is a one year only 3 gallon tank for the 1956 models. Same shape as the 1957-1959 3 gallon tanks but takes the 3 inch Triumph badges and styling bands. I finally got one myself after a few years of looking and traded my '57-'59 tank for it.

#22 · (Edited)
Looking good Vor! If you don't already know, you'll want to get a set of iron head rocker box gaskets and an eight-bolt head gasket next time you order parts. The ones pictured are for alloy head rocker boxes and nine-bolt head.
Cheers, Dan.

#24 ·
I've been collecting more parts. I now have all my motor bits and replacement parts for the gearbox and most of the primary. Picked up a unit crank. Got some good used electrical components like the tympanium and rotor/stator. Changing the primary to 60-62 style with the stator ring, which I still need. Parts are getting ready for nickel and media blasting. Then off to Wes at 4 Aces to rebuild. PS: I will never build a motor from parts again. Need one more big chunk of cash to finish.

parts
motorwise, pretty much the only thing from my original purchase is the 8-bolt barrels, the gearbox, and the primary covers

more parts

building 2 front wheels from 2-1/2

picked up a hot spark k2f for fairly cheap

#27 ·
Figured I should do an update. Been pretty busy with life (new baby girl, new job) but I have been slowly productive on the '55. I've been juggling it with my '62 rebuild and some side projects. The motor is in LA with Wes.

My 62 and 55 motors together.

Polsihed my gearbox cover

Made all my motor mount hardware, CEI. I'm trying to keep all the hardware British. It has a certain look that I want.

My helper

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.