GME stuff?? - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 11-01-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
Oklahoma
Senior Member
 
Oklahoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Encinitas
Posts: 411
Default GME stuff??

I have 3 GME tanks I picked up a while ago but the guy didn't know much about them. I've seen a few around but mostly old and beat up. Anyone know much about GME or who or where it is??
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 11-01-2006, 10:40 AM   #2
Irish Rich
Senior Member
 
Irish Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,615
Default Re: GME stuff??

GME was General Motorcycle Engineering aka The Machine Shop, in N. Hollywood CA. It was Gene Shaffer, Don Tomasko, and Don Orr.

Long gone out of buisness since the middle '70's.
Irish Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 10:44 AM   #3
Oklahoma
Senior Member
 
Oklahoma's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: Encinitas
Posts: 411
Default Re: GME stuff??

Thanks Rich!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rich
GME was General Motorcycle Engineering aka The Machine Shop, in N. Hollywood CA. It was Gene Shaffer, Don Tomasko, and Don Orr.

Long gone out of buisness since the middle '70's.
Oklahoma is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 11-01-2006, 02:56 PM   #4
BLACK13
Senior Member
 
BLACK13's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Location: VANCOUVER .....B.C.
Posts: 1,076
Default Re: GME stuff??

i got a gme ..coffin tank ..was wondering what it stood for ....thanks ..Rich.....
BLACK13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 06:38 PM   #5
Apehanger Hank
Senior Member
 
Apehanger Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Arkansas and Georgia
Posts: 880
Default Re: GME stuff??

Don Orr bought out the Mustang Motorcycle Company when it folded and I am pretty sure he used the original Mustang tank as a pattern for the GME and later AMEN tanks. He started AMEN frames.

Hank
__________________
The opinions of this person are sought after by rock stars and mental patients all over the world!
Apehanger Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 07:39 PM   #6
Irish Rich
Senior Member
 
Irish Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,615
Default Re: GME stuff??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apehanger Hank
Don Orr bought out the Mustang Motorcycle Company when it folded and I am pretty sure he used the original Mustang tank as a pattern for the GME and later AMEN tanks. He started AMEN frames.Hank
Pretty close. Don bought out what Mustang inventory was left, and the name Mustang from a guy in Texas. Unfortunately, Don didn't get all the paperwork and titles to the stock, so he just dumped all the parts after he built a couple dozen "Stallions' as he called them.

Don didn't use the Mustang for a pattern for the GME tanks, but he did give Ronnie Paugh a NOS mustang tank so that Paughco could make the prototype dies to stamp them out around '70 or so (maybe earlier). They stamped Amen's and GME's out for them as part of the deal.

Don was in partners with Neil McNeil, then he sold his share out and went in on The Machine Shop. He left there, and started Triton Engineering, and had Billy Westbrook custom painting bikes there when he was THIRTEEN YEARS OLD! That is, until Triton burnt down.

Last time I talked to Don Orr was about 5 years ago, and he still had a lawsuit against H-D pending, and he was up in Bend, OR building Bonneville racers.

Last edited by Irish Rich; 11-01-2006 at 07:42 PM.
Irish Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 08:14 PM   #7
Dragon
Senior Member
 
Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Upstate Fla.
Posts: 7,257
Default Re: GME stuff??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rich
Pretty close.......
Dammnnn......

YET another gold star for Rich.


Thanks man, Please dont ever get tired of checking in here...

.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #8
G Griffin
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 917
Default Re: GME stuff??

I must say that pretty much any post by Irish Rich or Danny Franssen makes this board a must read.

G.
G Griffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 11:08 PM   #9
Boa
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Ojai, CA
Posts: 436
Default Re: GME stuff??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon
Dammnnn......

YET another gold star for Rich.


Thanks man, Please dont ever get tired of checking in here...

.


+1
Boa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 05:35 AM   #10
Danny F.
Senior Member
 
Danny F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Belgium (Europe)
Posts: 5,194
Default Re: GME stuff??

Rich is da man for sure !
Who was this G.M.E back in 1980...?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Numériser0005.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	10910  
Danny F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 06:40 AM   #11
Apehanger Hank
Senior Member
 
Apehanger Hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Arkansas and Georgia
Posts: 880
Default Re: GME stuff??

Thanks Rich,Didn't know the whole story. I bought 3 of the Stallions from Don in early 72 and was told that he had bought out the "company". All three were nicely custom painted with chrome forks and spoke wheels. I sold two of them immediately and used one as a shop bike until I was drafted....then I foolishly sold it too! When I returned from my tour of the world, Don had started AMEN. He told me he got the idea while trying to fit a Honda motor in a HD wishbone frame. I always figured he used the Mustang frame as a design aid. Hank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rich
Pretty close. Don bought out what Mustang inventory was left, and the name Mustang from a guy in Texas. Unfortunately, Don didn't get all the paperwork and titles to the stock, so he just dumped all the parts after he built a couple dozen "Stallions' as he called them.

Don didn't use the Mustang for a pattern for the GME tanks, but he did give Ronnie Paugh a NOS mustang tank so that Paughco could make the prototype dies to stamp them out around '70 or so (maybe earlier). They stamped Amen's and GME's out for them as part of the deal.

Don was in partners with Neil McNeil, then he sold his share out and went in on The Machine Shop. He left there, and started Triton Engineering, and had Billy Westbrook custom painting bikes there when he was THIRTEEN YEARS OLD! That is, until Triton burnt down.

Last time I talked to Don Orr was about 5 years ago, and he still had a lawsuit against H-D pending, and he was up in Bend, OR building Bonneville racers.
__________________
The opinions of this person are sought after by rock stars and mental patients all over the world!
Apehanger Hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 09:25 AM   #12
Irish Rich
Senior Member
 
Irish Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,615
Default Re: GME stuff??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny F.
Rich is da man for sure !
Who was this G.M.E back in 1980...?
For some reason, I can't see the picture.

I appreciate the comments guys. It's nice to be thought of as more than just a pretty face.
Irish Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:18 AM   #13
Danny F.
Senior Member
 
Danny F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Belgium (Europe)
Posts: 5,194
Default Re: GME stuff??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rich
For some reason, I can't see the picture.

I appreciate the comments guys. It's nice to be thought of as more than just a pretty face.
Hmm...let's try this again Rich... you see it now?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Numériser0005.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	10919  
Danny F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:07 PM   #14
Irish Rich
Senior Member
 
Irish Rich's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Denver
Posts: 1,615
Default Re: GME stuff??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny F.
Hmm...let's try this again Rich... you see it now?
I do now, on my wife's computer, but not on mine. Weird.

That might be just Gene Shaffer, if that was around '80. Don Orr was actively out of it by then - but still a "part" of GME, and Tomasko had died around that time, too (don't ask).

That would be right before Shaffer sold everything to Santee, and went to work there for Derik Whitehead.
Irish Rich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 12:19 PM   #15
Danny F.
Senior Member
 
Danny F.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Belgium (Europe)
Posts: 5,194
Default Re: GME stuff??

Rich, you're good ! Any idea hatever happened to Gary Littlejohn and his line of tanks...I tought he was also in North Hollywood for a while...?
Danny F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2006, 11:26 PM   #16
Weyland
 
Join Date: Sep 2005
Posts: 165
Default Re: GME stuff??

holyfuckingshitijustlearnedalot.

Thanks, Rich.

Best,

Weyland
Weyland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2006, 10:28 AM   #17
BarryW
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Location: Northern IL
Posts: 266
Default Re: GME stuff??

pretty face?????

omanomanomanoman . . .

;^}


Quote:
Originally Posted by Irish Rich
For some reason, I can't see the picture.

I appreciate the comments guys. It's nice to be thought of as more than just a pretty face.
BarryW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:36 PM   #18
visimpact
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: phila pa
Posts: 3
Default I need a little bit of help identifying this tank

What is a gme gas tank? I saw on a bike, it had a tank that they said was a gme tank. It looked like a wassell tank but the tunnel was wider and it was frisco style. Probably a complete idiotic question but maybe someone could help me out. I found one of these tanks a few days ago and wanted to know exactly what I had. I just thought it was a wassell tank with a wider tunnel.
visimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 05:49 PM   #19
Dragon
Senior Member
 
Dragon's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Upstate Fla.
Posts: 7,257
Default Re: I need a little bit of help identifying this tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by visimpact View Post

What is a gme gas tank?
Read ^^ up, thru this early thread, found with a very quick search.



Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!
Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2009, 06:30 PM   #20
visimpact
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: phila pa
Posts: 3
Default Re: GME stuff??

Thanks
visimpact is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:49 PM.