Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame - Page 3 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 05-31-2020, 02:52 PM   #41
VonWegener
Senior Member
 
VonWegener's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Apple Valley
Posts: 3,344
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame

I find the last shop dope paragraph about brake relining and adjusting very interesting. Loosen the pivot and applying full pressure? I never thought of that.
Thank you Eric. Great contribution as always.
__________________
*
Your friendly neighborhood W&W Cycle Germany, Paughco and V-Twin dealer

VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 05-31-2020, 03:23 PM   #42
richbob
Senior Member
 
richbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Atlantic coast.
Posts: 2,450
Default

Don’t you read your manual ? Von .
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image_1590952966645.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	493.5 KB
ID:	257336  
__________________
Rush Rush to the Yayo. Blondie

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2020, 04:57 PM   #43
FredoTwoWheels
Senior Member
 
FredoTwoWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 257
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame

Hey guys, yeah, the axles are supposed to be the same, but I also prefer the way the big blocky early one looks.

Mike, hugely grateful for the offer but I already had a buddy order one of the rods for me. Im going to try to salvage the clevis, but if I run into an issue, I will let you know! Really appreciate the offer and advise, always.

That shop dope is very interesting. I went out and looked at the brake for the first time since unloading it from my truck. I have a bunch of play front to back in the cam shaft. I looked it up in the part in the parts catalog, 4055-31. I expected a washer, maybe being told to shim to fit, but the part specifies a spring washer. What I assume is the issue without opening it, is that the person I bought the brake from used a washer, and since I didnt know any different, may have perpetuated my issue when I swapped components between backing plates. No spring will allow the slop and that probably translates to the chatter. That would make sense why the rod broke, it was probably whipping around while I braked. I will see if I can get my hands on one of the spring washers, may even rebuild some oem brake shoes I have kicking around to replace the aftermarket ones in there. If after that it still rattles, then I will just have to throw out the whole bike. Ha!
__________________
VL SPRING SHIELD WANTED

IG: PineboxRecording
FredoTwoWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Old 05-31-2020, 05:23 PM   #44
Dutch Dennoz
Senior Member
 
Dutch Dennoz's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2020
Location: Leiden
Posts: 150
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoTwoWheels View Post
Hey guys, yeah, the axles are supposed to be the same, but I also prefer the way the big blocky early one looks.

Mike, hugely grateful for the offer but I already had a buddy order one of the rods for me. Im going to try to salvage the clevis, but if I run into an issue, I will let you know! Really appreciate the offer and advise, always.

That shop dope is very interesting. I went out and looked at the brake for the first time since unloading it from my truck. I have a bunch of play front to back in the cam shaft. I looked it up in the part in the parts catalog, 4055-31. I expected a washer, maybe being told to shim to fit, but the part specifies a spring washer. What I assume is the issue without opening it, is that the person I bought the brake from used a washer, and since I didnt know any different, may have perpetuated my issue when I swapped components between backing plates. No spring will allow the slop and that probably translates to the chatter. That would make sense why the rod broke, it was probably whipping around while I braked. I will see if I can get my hands on one of the spring washers, may even rebuild some oem brake shoes I have kicking around to replace the aftermarket ones in there. If after that it still rattles, then I will just have to throw out the whole bike. Ha!
Can you throw it across an ocean?
__________________
If you canít fix it..do it anyway.
Dutch Dennoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 07:04 PM   #45
FredoTwoWheels
Senior Member
 
FredoTwoWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 257
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame

Soooo, today the backing plate anchor sheered off on the freeway. This brake wants blood.
__________________
VL SPRING SHIELD WANTED

IG: PineboxRecording
FredoTwoWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 03:33 PM   #46
rhysmort
Senior Member
 
rhysmort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 1,654
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoTwoWheels View Post
Soooo, today the backing plate anchor sheered off on the freeway. This brake wants blood.
That's not good dude... something is definitely awry with the alignment/spacing. Need to get that looked at before it does get blood!
__________________
King or street sweeper, everbody dances with the grim reaper.
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 04:07 PM   #47
joe49
Senior Member
 
joe49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tonica Il
Posts: 2,175
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame

Who made the anchor stud?
__________________
OLD MOTORCYCLE ENTHUSIAST
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:13 PM   #48
rhysmort
Senior Member
 
rhysmort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 1,654
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by joe49 View Post
Who made the anchor stud?
This is like the 3rd? he's sheared, Joe. I've never ever seen 3 go in a short period of time unless there's something wrong (alingment) A friend had one go, but it was 35 years old. It could be a Vtwin taiwan special, but I'd like to think he'd pay a little more for quality being as it's his only brake!
__________________
King or street sweeper, everbody dances with the grim reaper.
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 05:29 PM   #49
richbob
Senior Member
 
richbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Atlantic coast.
Posts: 2,450
Default

3 studs sheared ? Interesting
__________________
Rush Rush to the Yayo. Blondie

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 07:54 PM   #50
joe49
Senior Member
 
joe49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tonica Il
Posts: 2,175
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame

One brake, three sheared, his luck is going to run out.
__________________
OLD MOTORCYCLE ENTHUSIAST
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 11:40 PM   #51
FredoTwoWheels
Senior Member
 
FredoTwoWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 257
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame

Once I sheared a cotter pin, next time the rod snapped, this time the anchor sheared from the backing plate and engaged the brake on the freeway. It was a Paughco, had it for two or three years.
__________________
VL SPRING SHIELD WANTED

IG: PineboxRecording
FredoTwoWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 01:13 PM   #52
rhysmort
Senior Member
 
rhysmort's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: UK
Posts: 1,654
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoTwoWheels View Post
Once I sheared a cotter pin, next time the rod snapped, this time the anchor sheared from the backing plate and engaged the brake on the freeway. It was a Paughco, had it for two or three years.
My apologies I knew there had been a few ocurrences.

I think something is misaligned man, 3 things shearing on a there says to me there's forces working with misalignment of some sort. It could be the drum, but I doubt it, Paughco tend to be good quality. Are you certain on spacing and your frame being straight?
__________________
King or street sweeper, everbody dances with the grim reaper.
rhysmort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:47 AM   #53
FredoTwoWheels
Senior Member
 
FredoTwoWheels's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: LA
Posts: 257
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame

Frame was originally straightened by Dr Johns in Anaheim.

So I looked at the bike for the first time since the breakdown, I usually need a cooling off period after getting it home. The damage is much worse than I thought.

I am not sure which came first, the brake issue or the weld breaking, but now they are both kaput. What I think happened is the brake anchor went and the force of the backing plate rotating and hitting the bottom of the axle, it broke the weld and bent the upper tube.

Scenario two is that all the vibration from the brake weakened the weld and the crack developed, allowed the axle plate to flex. This let the backing plate slip out enough to run away from the stay and the damage to the anchor I see is after the fact. This is equally as possible because beginning the day before, I felt the brake grabbing a little like it was wearing unevenly. This could have been from the weld going or the anchor beginning to sheer.

So now I need to have some frame work done. I could go back to Johns, but I'm pretty sure he will want me to just bring the bare frame. I would prefer not to strip the bike down completely, I dont have the space for so much work right now. Anyone have any great frame guys in SoCal I can talk to?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2683.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	898.9 KB
ID:	258304   Click image for larger version

Name:	54412EE8-7B8E-49DF-8BB1-54909623068C.JPG
Views:	56
Size:	238.7 KB
ID:	258306  
__________________
VL SPRING SHIELD WANTED

IG: PineboxRecording
FredoTwoWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:07 AM   #54
richbob
Senior Member
 
richbob's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Atlantic coast.
Posts: 2,450
Default

Fuck
That’s unlucky it did so much damage
__________________
Rush Rush to the Yayo. Blondie

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 10:26 AM   #55
joe49
Senior Member
 
joe49's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Tonica Il
Posts: 2,175
Default Re: Disk Brake Conversion on Wishbone Frame

Not to bad. While that could be fixed with out stripping the bike, most frame repairs are done on bare frames. Easier to check for location and straightness.
__________________
OLD MOTORCYCLE ENTHUSIAST
joe49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:24 PM.