Hunt magneto for '71 and up Sportsters - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-08-2019, 10:23 PM   #1
Sporticus

Default Hunt magneto for '71 and up Sportsters

Has anyone tried one of these? I'm curious but worried that the mag may be hanging out in harm's way and that the whole assembly is held in place with three 8-32 bolts. My '81 ironhead doesn't have a mechanical tach so I can't use the Morris tach drive mag. I don't want to start a debate on the merits of mags. I just want one, logical or not, and would like to hear any feedback on this Hunt.

Sporticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-09-2019, 11:27 AM   #2
joe49

Default Re: Hunt magneto for '71 and up Sportsters

That is pretty. I have thrown my bikes down the road to many times to run something hanging out further than needed. Not that I want too again. But shit happens.
Old 05-09-2019, 07:40 PM   #3
HayMike

On the Triumphs they stick out horizontally, with only 2 bolts.
HayMike is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-2019, 09:27 PM   #4
farmall

Is there a compelling reason to use the original tach that makes using an inferior magneto drive design mandatory? Do you even need a tach? It's a Harley. It's not like they convey much useful information. Your ride, your call. No one else will notice if it's not connected. Alternate option, electric tach with a mag module. https://www.huntmagnetos.com/product...converter.html If not the cleanest way is switching to the early cam cover and cams then running a standard style magneto. That's why I did it on my '73. I can drop in my spare stock mag if the installed one malfunctions. Good luck with that on a specialty design. I agree on the tiny fasteners. Hanging a heavy decoration off three 8-32 bolts is stupid unless it's a drag bike, and then IMO it's still stupid because it's objectively inferior to the proven stock installation. If it's a show bike/bar bike have at it. I'd use red Loctite on the fasteners because when little screws wallow under load there's even less engagement holding them in.
farmall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 09:39 PM   #5
Sporticus

My 1981 has no provisions for a tachometer cable. The tach is electric. I could always switch to an earlier, post '70 cam cover to use a tach drive mag (after swapping in the appropriate cam with the tach drive gear). I'm not sure what's involved in swapping the 900 cam cover and using the tried and true short shaft mag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall View Post
Is there a compelling reason to use the original tach that makes using an inferior magneto drive design mandatory? Do you even need a tach? It's a Harley. It's not like they convey much useful information. Your ride, your call. No one else will notice if it's not connected. Alternate option, electric tach with a mag module. https://www.huntmagnetos.com/product...converter.html If not the cleanest way is switching to the early cam cover and cams then running a standard style magneto. That's why I did it on my '73. I can drop in my spare stock mag if the installed one malfunctions. Good luck with that on a specialty design. I agree on the tiny fasteners. Hanging a heavy decoration off three 8-32 bolts is stupid unless it's a drag bike, and then IMO it's still stupid because it's objectively inferior to the proven stock installation. If it's a show bike/bar bike have at it. I'd use red Loctite on the fasteners because when little screws wallow under load there's even less engagement holding them in.
Old 05-13-2019, 03:57 PM   #6
farmall

The tach module should work with your electric tach. A 900 cam cover and appropriate cams handle that conversion but ideally the cam cover would receive new bushings which require line reaming, often performed by a shop with the tooling and a spare right side case to avoid splitting a running engine.

If your cams are stock that's good reason to upgrade them and you get the decorative magneto as a bonus. The ribbed 900 cam covers look good too.
Old 05-17-2019, 08:46 AM   #7
Sporticus

I agree that the 900 cover looks better. I read an old write up on here about adapting one to a later ironhead. It looked like more than I wanted to get involved in, or the write up made it seem that way.

I e-mailed Hunt about the 8-32 screws holding the whole thing in place. It was suggested that I use bigger screws if I was concerned. Whatever...

Morris has a tach cable mount mag for a bit less money. My '81 cam cover doesn't have a tach cable hole, but they're cheap on eBay and I won't be using the stock cams that lack the tach drive gear. I'll be splitting the cases, so it won't be a problem if I have to replace the bushings and hone them. I've spoken to a lot of people I trust about this race bike project, like Keenan Tatro and Perry Kime. They both hate magnetos. I hate changing or charging batteries in a total loss (electronic ignition) system between races. I hate batteries in general. I'll take my chances with full advance as I'll be WOT most of the time.

Thanks for the input.
Old 05-17-2019, 12:36 PM   #8
farmall

You should have mentioned it's a pure race bike instead of a toy chopper. In that case it won't be at risk for shaking loose hardware as it would in street use.

Street bikes run mags for appearance. Race bikes run them for function. One use case is not like the other. I'd not worry about full advance since you can use a paddock starter if it's a asspain to start.

Have fun and post pics!
Old 05-17-2019, 08:37 PM   #9
Sporticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by farmall View Post
You should have mentioned it's a pure race bike instead of a toy chopper. In that case it won't be at risk for shaking loose hardware as it would in street use.

Street bikes run mags for appearance. Race bikes run them for function. One use case is not like the other. I'd not worry about full advance since you can use a paddock starter if it's a asspain to start.

Have fun and post pics!

Thanks. Oh, it will definitely shake parts, or at least try to. Lots of safety wire and loctite should keep me together. It's a vintage class roadracer that I was able to squeeze into the '72 and earlier class. I haven't touched the engine yet. A bit has changed since these two photos. It's now got 14.5" shocks (which caused the swingarm to hit the passenger peg bracket which is now the rearset bracket). Since these photos, I've cut and reconfigured that bracket, moving the pegs higher and further forward. The rear brake linkage now has a straighter route to the m/c. Front end is XS650 forks and calipers, 18" wheel, and Ceriani trees. Still a bunch to do before the engine work starts. I want to derake it a bit and blow $400 on a replica XR750 oil tank. If I have any money after the engine is done, I'll wrap it in XRTT bodywork from Airtech.

Old 05-18-2019, 12:04 AM   #10
Ratso

You will, I'm sure, already have stuck some Progressive springs and the appropriate lengths of sluggage in those forks. Stockly sprung, the XS forks are too spongy/bouncy even for a stripped Bonneville (roughly 130lbs lighter than your bike, or maybe I'm exaggerating).
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 06:13 AM   #11
Ducbsa

Looks cool, what race org and class?
Ducbsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:53 AM   #12
Sporticus

USCRA Supervintage (through 1972). I proposed a rule change that got accepted, making all 1000 ironheads eligible for the class.

Ratso - you are correct. I got the sag set but haven't ridden it yet. I'll know when I bind the springs the first time I get on the brakes. Backup plan is to put in springs from another heavy bike with 35 mm forks, like a Honda CBX.
Old 05-18-2019, 10:10 AM   #13
Tim The Grim

Could you run the magneto off where the old generator mounted ? I seem to remember seeing one mounted there, maybe on a KR, but I wonder if gear train lash might get excessive.
Maybe the later model Ironheads have less room there too.

I had a Tach drive Morris Mag on my ‘76 CH for a decade and had to do a lot of precision “fitting” to keep it working. Gears, custom shaft, bushings etc.. I finally just went solid state.
Old 05-18-2019, 08:37 PM   #14
Sporticus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim The Grim View Post
I had a Tach drive Morris Mag on my ‘76 CH for a decade and had to do a lot of precision “fitting” to keep it working. Gears, custom shaft, bushings etc.. I finally just went solid state.

Oh, that's not what I wanted to hear. Did it keep going out of time? Morris makes a mag w/impulse coupler that goes in the genny hole for $1695.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:51 AM   #15
Tim The Grim

The Morris Mag itself was top quality. The real problem is running a high performance mag with strong magnets off an HD gear set that’s designed to spin an instrument. It was on it when I bought a really nice bike off an expectant father so I was really stoked right off the bat.
A while later I noticed some radial play in the point cam and started delving into the hows and whys of what made everything work. Long story short and being a foreman in a world class machine shop, I got everything set to mesh and run as well as the design would allow.
The drive gear on the mag has an almost unquenchable desire to ride up over the ring gear on the cam. Zero clearance bushings, a new gear, a high speed steel shaft and Prussian Blue on the gears to set optimal tooth engagement got me where I needed to be. Then I did it all again 3 years later. That little gear and the bottom bushing take a real beating. Much easier the 2nd time around.
Once bitten twice shy, a different shop/job, and my new Valk, I let it go until I
got a Crane ignition for doing some machining favors and swapped over to that.
I literally never had to touch that ignition again.

I don’t imagine the gen drive model has any little worm gears to worry about.
Old 05-19-2019, 01:44 PM   #16
denisj

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporticus View Post
Has anyone tried one of these? I'm curious but worried that the mag may be hanging out in harm's way and that the whole assembly is held in place with three 8-32 bolts. My '81 ironhead doesn't have a mechanical tach so I can't use the Morris tach drive mag. I don't want to start a debate on the merits of mags. I just want one, logical or not, and would like to hear any feedback on this Hunt.

I have that mag..its a complete pile of shit
Threw it over the over the counter at Hunt
They do not know what they're doing...that came from the horses mouth

..My objective report

There are lots of companies that make mag systems that integrate into the alt/gen or points location. ...that are actually for racing.
Electrixworld
HP ignitions

Check em out

Sent from my LM-X210(G) using Tapatalk
denisj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2019, 02:00 PM   #17
govmule84
Forum Dipshit

Quote:
USCRA Supervintage (through 1972). I proposed a rule change that got accepted, making all 1000 ironheads eligible for the class.

Ratso - you are correct. I got the sag set but haven't ridden it yet. I'll know when I bind the springs the first time I get on the brakes. Backup plan is to put in springs from another heavy bike with 35 mm forks, like a Honda CBX.
I ran an XS front end on my flat track bike. I took an old set of springs out of a Shovelhead FX front end popped 'em right in, made my life much better... and at the time I was over 300 in gear.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:27 PM   #18
Ratso

They are just excellent cheap* forks; look very nice, too, with Ceriani clamps.

Sporticus, did you happen to read the March '19 issue of Classic Bike? John Trease's radical ironhead racer is featured in an uncharacteristically smart, knowledgeable & quite detailed article by Alan Cathcart. (For that matter, it's an unusually good issue overall. I no longer buy CB regularly but I'm glad I copped that one.) Might give you unwholesome building/tuning ideas concerning your '81.

* Maybe, like Ceriani tripleclamps, XS forks aren't so cheap anymore? I wonder what they go for these days. Like the Cerianis, they used to be a dime a dozen.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2019, 02:11 PM   #19
Sporticus

DenisJ - thanks for that. Your experience is what I was afraid of. Yes, there are plenty of ignitions better suited for this than a stone age magneto. They all require batteries, and I despise batteries and total loss ignitions. The Morris X5 mounts in place of the generator but... It's very pricey (I know, it's all pricey but it's hard to pony up that much $$ in one sitting. The payment plan of buying smaller parts one at a time seems cheaper, though I know it's not). I just bought a 1968 XLCH cam cover and plan to use that, with the right cams, and the standard Morris/Hunt/FM Sportster or 45 flatty mag.

Govmule84 - thanks for that tip. That's huge. The FX springs sound like a nice cheap solution should the Progressives suck. I'm about 100 lbs. than you were, but road racing involves a lot of nosedive braking into corners that work the springs in a way flat track doesn''t.

Ratso - as soon as I read your comment I went online and bought that issue. I ordered it for under $10 shipped from England, so it may be a while before I read it. I remember when XS forks were cheap, at least they were when I put them on my Can Am not that long ago. People think they're gold now. Newer, better stuff can be had cheaper. My class allows up to 38 mm forks and I thought about FZR600 forks with period correct wheels, rotors, and calipers. It felt like cheating, as FZR forks are far from period, and involved a lot of additional fab work. I've never seen cheap Ceriani stuff - I guess that means I'm young. Those trees weren't cheap, but they allow you to fit any stem with a bit of work. Betors are the same way and easier to get. but I couldn't find them wide enough.
Old 05-22-2019, 01:18 AM   #20
denisj

Quote:
DenisJ - thanks for that. Your experience is what I was afraid of. Yes, there are plenty of ignitions better suited for this than a stone age magneto. They all require batteries, and I despise batteries and total loss ignitions. The Morris X5 mounts in place of the generator but... It's very pricey (I know, it's all pricey but it's hard to pony up that much $$ in one sitting. The payment plan of buying smaller parts one at a time seems cheaper, though I know it's not). I just bought a 1968 XLCH cam cover and plan to use that, with the right cams, and the standard Morris/Hunt/FM Sportster

Betors are the same way and easier to get. but I couldn't find them wide enough.

The 2 systems I recommended are solid for use here in AHRMA and lots of guys I know use em too.
**No Batteries..they are proper magneto systems just not in the old mag housing

Betors are better..call Race Tech and the Vintage guru will tell you why. I’ve run both on and off road..my Cerianis are now for decoration (sorry not for sale)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
denisj is offline   Reply With Quote