Stripped Magneto/Breaker Hole - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-04-2018, 11:47 PM   #1
FredoTwoWheels

Default Stripped Magneto/Breaker Hole

The hole that holds my magneto secure is stripped. I have some 1/4-24 helicoils, but no insertion tool and I need to get up and running quick. Would I be better off drilling it and tapping it for 5/16 or should I attempt the helicoil without the tool? How much meat is surrounding that area in the case?

IG: PineboxRecording
FredoTwoWheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-05-2018, 04:10 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: Stripped Magneto/Breaker Hole

make an insertion tool? they're pretty basic.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 07:43 AM   #3
CookieMonster

Do you have the tap? Proper Helicoil taps are not necessarily standard threads and usually come in the kit. An insertion too should be easy to make.
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-05-2018, 08:58 AM   #4
johnjzjz

any 1/4 inch insertion tool is the same its not thread specific like the tap

seen many made 5/16 to repair second or third time maybe - what we did was drill and tap the 5/16 to 1/4 X 24 double nut the stud we make from a bolt and install it back to original - welding is the other way
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
johnjzjz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 12:18 PM   #5
FredoTwoWheels

It was my understanding I would need an insertion tool of the same thread. I read about making one by sawing a slit in a bolt, but the only 1/4-24 bolt I have is the one for the mag, and I had to order it off ebay they are not easy to find (or were not when I was building the bike) If the tools are not thread specific though, I'll just go buy a 1/4-20 kit and use the tool, thanks guys.

Old 12-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #6
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoTwoWheels View Post
It was my understanding I would need an insertion tool of the same thread. I read about making one by sawing a slit in a bolt, but the only 1/4-24 bolt I have is the one for the mag, and I had to order it off ebay they are not easy to find (or were not when I was building the bike) If the tools are not thread specific though, I'll just go buy a 1/4-20 kit and use the tool, thanks guys.
it is thread specific and worse then that if you run a 1/4 X 20 tap and not a heli coil tap you will do two things

first - you will only end up with a 60 percent thread using a 1/4 X20 tap and we are talking about aluminum - it will strip right out again as it s not deep enough

second thing - if you use a 1/4 X 20 tap and that happens = step two - the 1/x4 24 heli coil is also compromised as the course thread 20 is deeper and the 24 thread is considered a fine thread and the coil thread will be shallow not as shallow as with the regular tap BUT <<<<<

this is the reason in the end so many have a 5/16 X 18 thread and the bolt head need to be modified to use it on a mag

in the end its all effed up and still not right going the easy way

your choice - do it right the first time - or what ever happens happens
Ineptocracy (in-ep-toc'-ra-cy) - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing, and where the members of society least likely to sustain themselves or succeed, are rewarded with goods and services paid for by the confiscated wealth of a diminishing number of producers
Old 12-05-2018, 04:27 PM   #7
ericthebeard

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjzjz View Post
it is thread specific and worse then that if you run a 1/4 X 20 tap and not a heli coil tap you will do two things

first - you will only end up with a 60 percent thread using a 1/4 X20 tap and we are talking about aluminum - it will strip right out again as it s not deep enough

second thing - if you use a 1/4 X 20 tap and that happens = step two - the 1/x4 24 heli coil is also compromised as the course thread 20 is deeper and the 24 thread is considered a fine thread and the coil thread will be shallow not as shallow as with the regular tap BUT <<<<<

this is the reason in the end so many have a 5/16 X 18 thread and the bolt head need to be modified to use it on a mag

in the end its all effed up and still not right going the easy way

your choice - do it right the first time - or what ever happens happens
I think what he was getting at was if the insertion tool is not thread specific, then he'll just buy a 1/4-20 kit and use that tool for the 1/4-24 helicoil repair on the case?
Old 12-05-2018, 04:39 PM   #8
FredoTwoWheels

I have the helicoil tap for 1/4-24, I just broke the thread installer tool. What I meant was that I would buy a kit and just use that installer tool.

Old 12-05-2018, 05:18 PM   #9
JasonMcElroy

If you've got an extra 12-24 screw you can just grind a relief into the end so that it can be used as the installer.

If you grind half of the diameter off the threaded end about 1/8" deep (this is HARD to describe) it will engage the the tang on the coil for insertion. If you look at other installers you can see it better.

Jason
JasonMcElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #10
johnjzjz

Quote:
Originally Posted by FredoTwoWheels View Post
I have the helicoil tap for 1/4-24, I just broke the thread installer tool. What I meant was that I would buy a kit and just use that installer tool.
I was just making you aware of the mistakes others have made

glad you have it under control