Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes - Page 137 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-31-2015, 10:42 AM   #2721
JOHN HANSON

Default Re: Vintage Fuel Drag Bikes

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank spittle View Post
Now there are five guys that brought T/F motorcycle drag racing to a new level. And Roy Strawn was the was the first promoter to realize the popularity of the class.
In the early 70s Boris Murray was trying to form a TF association so teams would have more say in the procedures of a meet.
JOHN HANSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-14-2016, 12:30 PM   #2722
frank spittle

This is a little off topic but Larry Welch called me to let me know he had been in touch with Eric Teboul about his rocket bike and our conversation turned to his old friend Jack McClure who was racing a rocket powered go-cart when Larry was racing his rocket bike. I personally watched Jack turn over 225 mph at Rockingham Dragway four decades ago. I was amazed the wheel bearings in those little wheels could take that punishment....not to mention the insanity McClure displayed. Jack sold his rocket cart in the '70s and bought a large fishing boat to charter out. Jack had a long and successful career but retired from fishing and knew where his old cart was. He repurchased it and sent it to rocket expert Ty Michaelson for a complete restoration. I have posted video of a recent test session.This thing is unreal.

By the way, when you are watching the Superbowl on Feb. 7th be sure to wish Jack a happy 90th birthday. That is not a typo... he will be 90!!!!!!!!!!!

https://youtu.be/hgrVJOMWAx8

Last edited by frank spittle; 01-14-2016 at 12:54 PM.
frank spittle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 11:03 PM   #2723
JOHN HANSON

Here's a vid of McClure and his gokart last year. Way to go Jack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlZF7xR0r9k
JOHN HANSON is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-18-2016, 01:19 AM   #2724
Hoofhearted

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOHN HANSON View Post
Here's a vid of McClure and his gokart last year. Way to go Jack.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nlZF7xR0r9k
A lot of respect to him!!! Being 19 years younger than him I can only hope I'm still going when I get to his age.
Bonneville record 500 SC/PG 119.667 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PF 117.186 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBG 111.494 mph
Bonneville record 500 SC/PBF 112.717 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PF 128.703 mph
Bonneville record 650 SC/PG 121.553 mph
El Mirage record 650 SC/PG 130.224 mph
Hoofhearted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 07:53 PM   #2725
frank spittle

14th Annual NHRA Holley Mid-West Hot Rod Reunion
Bowling Green KY. June 16-18 2016

The NHRA Museum will devote a pit area space for up to 10 Vintage Top Fuel motorcycles this year at Bowling Green. It has been 10 years since our last get-together there. About half are already spoken for. I will keep you informed.
Old 04-26-2016, 10:03 PM   #2726
frank spittle

Bowling Green is less than 2 months away and it looks like about 5 to 10 historic T/F Motorcycles will there in the special display area in the pits and most are in running condition. I will give you another update with names about a month before the Reunion.

Larry McBride has completely healed from his serious burns and has already recorded a 5 second run on his new bike "Star". I will attend the ManCup race at the "Rock" in about 5 weeks to see Larry and my old friends and find out the latest in T/F racing.
Old 04-27-2016, 06:59 PM   #2727
rigidpanman

Groovy

Sent from my LG-D850 using Tapatalk
rigidpanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 09:54 PM   #2728
frank spittle

It is only 4 weeks until the NHRA National Hot Rod Reunion and here is the list of those planning to bring their original Vintage T/F motorcycle.

Pete Hill, Glenn Kerr, Joe Thronson, and myself. There are 3 or 4 more trying to work things out (we are all old) and I will give a final list the week of the event (June 16-18 Thur.-Sat.). This event is about as close as you can get to stepping back in time 35 years or more.

Last edited by frank spittle; 05-20-2016 at 11:57 AM.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:25 PM   #2729
frank spittle

It's been awhile since I logged in. It was much, much harder to change the pass word when something happened with the JJ months ago than it was to join. I don't have much patience with computers....or just about anything. It comes with age I guess.

I went to the Mancup race at Rockingham last weekend. Larry McBride beat Sam Wills in the final. Probably the most talked about thing there was Michael Ray. His dad Paul, another old T/F racing buddy from the past, told me he was done with NHRA and Pro Stock motorcycles. So he rented Johnny Vickers Pro Fuel Harley for Michael to race. He made his first pass on a nitro bike there and qualified #1. If that is not impressive for you he WON THE CLASS. It looks like the Rays will change course next year.
Old 09-25-2016, 06:01 PM   #2730
frank spittle

A little more information about the Rockingham Mancup race. Dave Vantine was the only other I-4 T/F racer there and he qualified #1 with a 5.99. Chris Hand, who won the Mancup race there 3 months ago, is recovering from surgery and I didn't find out why Korry Hogan's team was absent. I don't know what is going to happen to I-4 T/F when these great riders retire. Sam Wills and Chris Hand are both in their 60s and so will Larry McBride before the year is over. I don't know how old Dave is but his hair is graying. Korry is the only youthful new blood but he has already retired twice due to surviving 200 mph crashes.

But there is a sliver of hope. Sam has finished a new I-4 T/F almost identical to his 5 second bike for a guy who has never made a pass on a T/F bike. He could be like Jimmy Brantley and take to it like a duck in water or NOT. Sam told me he can probably tell by the look in his eyes after the first burnout.

Sam is building a second almost identical bike that veteran T/F-Funny Bike racer Terry Kiser will handle. But Terry is also nearing senior citizen status. This class is iffy because of the tremendous cost and lack of fearless jockeys lined up to get on one.

The T/F Harleys are a different story. There are Harley dealerships to help with the cost and riders ready to give it a try. Johnny Vickers' Pro Fuel motorcycle drag racing school surely has something to do with that.
Old 10-06-2016, 10:07 AM   #2731
frank spittle

If anyone is coming to the Antique Car Show in Hershey, Pa this weekend Oct. 7-8 I will have the "Freight Train" there Friday and Saturday. We must demonstrate them on Friday to be eligible to enter the show field on Saturday.

This is the largest car show in the world. You can start on one end of the show and see cars of the 1890s, the beginning of the automobile, and as you progress you move up in time and finish with 25 year old cars, the newest allowed. If you are going to be there stop by and say hello.
Old 10-06-2016, 07:36 PM   #2732
rigidpanman

Frank,just saw this,hope you are well

Sent from my R1 HD using Tapatalk
rigidpanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 07:38 PM   #2733
frank spittle

Korry Hogan survived one of the worst Top Fuel Motorcycle crashes ever at the ManCup Finals. This was his fourth. The engine broke a rod and oiled the rear tire causing the bike to crash hard into the left wall. The bike and rider separated and the bike crossed the track and crashed hard against the right wall just behind Chris Hand. Korry's body slammed down hard at about the middle of the track tripping the clocks at 154 mph. When I saw the video I didn't have much hope for him. I talked to both Sam Wills and Roland Stuart today and they both believe he was not seriously injured.

The bike is another story. It is totaled and the team has called it quits. It was a somber phone call as Sam said he is unsure if he will be racing next year and he was not sure Chris will be back either. They are both old enough to draw Social Security. That leaves Larry McBride (congratulations on winning another race and another Championship) and Dave Vantine. There will be a couple new Sam Wills built bikes out there next year but it will take time to get their acts together at best.

Korry was the youngest of the riders and very good. It just shows any rider is vulnerable to shit happening and paying the price for it.

https://youtu.be/7jLrEMapXY4

Last edited by frank spittle; 11-15-2016 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-16-2016, 11:02 AM   #2734
ejkelly

I watched the live feed of most of the race. It was terrifying to watch that crash. It was also a miracle that Korry came through it relatively unharmed. He must have had angels on both shoulders riding with him. I have also heard that the Alwine team was retiring, but have not heard it from the Team itself, all second hand accounts. I did see that John shared a link on his FB page for a go fund me account set up by someone else. I don't think we'll see Korry return to TF racing even if the team continues. He has had some serious high speed "get-offs", so I wouldn't blame him for not returning.
Old 11-25-2016, 10:22 AM   #2735
ejkelly

John Alwine announced a couple days ago on FB that the team would not be rebuilding. He doesn't want the go fund me account money and suggested that it be used for Korry's medical needs. It also sounds like he has six new ATF engines underway, so maybe his engine program will continue. The loss on any of the TFB teams is a loss for the whole sport.
Old 11-25-2016, 09:39 PM   #2736
beaverbikes

Best of luck to everyone involved. This is a very interesting thread and I've followed it since the beginning.
beaverbikes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2016, 09:55 PM   #2737
Medyo Bastos

yes, best of luck to them
Medyo Bastos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2016, 08:52 PM   #2738
frank spittle

I need some help. When I was racing my T/F Kaw almost 40 years ago one of the bike mags ran one of the most interesting stories I have ever read.

One of their test pilots made a couple passes on a Top Fuel motorcycle. As I recall it was one of the top teams that "loaned" him the bike. It was a very gutsy thing to do by both the team and the writer. The guy normally tested Superbikes that had just been offered to the public so he had a degree of experience.

HE NAILED IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It was a multi-page article and written by someone very good at expressing in words what he had just experienced. As I was reading the story I was agreeing with every word. I had admiration for his courage.

I don't have a clue what I did with the mag. I have looked for it countless times over the years. I have asked other racers if they have the article and it seems like I am the only one that remembers it. I am positive it was in either Cycle or Cycle World in 1979 or 1980..........unless I dreamed it and it became a reality.

If you have those mags in those years PLEASE dig them out and if you find the article post it. I would love to read it again.....and also prove to myself I am not going senile.
Old 12-02-2016, 10:32 AM   #2739
frank spittle

The internet is unbelievable! I went on ebay and have purchased some issues of the 1979 year of Cycle magazine for a reasonable price. Hopefully it will be in one of those mags. I should have them in a few days.
Old 12-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #2740
Ratso

The writer sounds like John Ulrich, in Cycle. He wrote a real good piece about blowing up a (Sportster? BT) drag bike. But I think it was considerably earlier than 1979.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote