Ironhead stroker with electric start??? - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-03-2015, 02:25 PM   #21
Destralo Roach

Default Re: Ironhead stroker with electric start???

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatman View Post
isn't there a piston porting thread on here or am I remembering it somewhere else?

yeah it was on here... but certain people couldnt play by the rules and took that all down before they left.....

Roach.
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 08:54 PM   #22
twistedtee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destralo Roach View Post
Have you seen them side by side.. the sporty piston has a very steep angel for the top... think of it sparking before top dead center... the bang hits the front of that hill and pushes the piston backwards Fast!!

Not so bad on a high comp shovel.... Hence why I retard the timing on the sportys.....

Roach.
Yes, I've seen sportster vs. Shovel pistons, from low-compression stockers to 15:1 units used in our dragbikes. What I haven't seen is broken legs due to piston shapes. Explain to me how spark knows which side of the "angled" dome to travel to seeing as how the plug is located to the side of said dome. Physics and geometry don't give a fuck if they are applying their principles to a sportster or a fuckin' Honda. Kickback is caused by improper timing and/or lack of rotational momentum in the correct direction.
twistedtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 11:20 PM   #23
WhizzbangK.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by twistedtee View Post
Kickback is caused by improper timing and/or lack of rotational momentum in the correct direction.
The lower rotational inertia of the sportster (lighter flywheels, clutch basket, primary chain, etc) IS why they kick back so much harder, not the shape of the pistons. Not to mention they have caused more injuries due to worn kicker gears slipping than actual kick back. When both happen at the same time........ My right knee hurts just thinking about it.
WhizzbangK.C. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-04-2015, 12:00 AM   #24
twistedtee

Talking Re: Ironhead stroker with electric start???

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhizzbangK.C. View Post
The lower rotational inertia of the sportster (lighter flywheels, clutch basket, primary chain, etc) IS why they kick back so much harder, not the shape of the pistons. Not to mention they have caused more injuries due to worn kicker gears slipping than actual kick back. When both happen at the same time........ My right knee hurts just thinking about it.
ain't that the truth Whizzbang, between worn kicker gears, worn cover bushings and cracked/broken covers etc. they're probably one of the greatest contributors to osteo arthritis...oh yeah, the well placed upper shock mount feels real nice too.
twistedtee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2015, 08:45 PM   #25
knuck39

I've seen more hyper exstended knees from bad gears than I care to remember...like wizzbank sez'..."makes my knee hurt just thinkin' about it..."
knuck39 is offline   Reply With Quote