what is this manifold - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-25-2018, 01:32 PM   #1
dbkp

Default what is this manifold

bought a batch of old parts and I am stumped by this plumber manifold. I think it is too big for a 45 dc linkert setup, so KR? OR? Thanks, KP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	007.jpg
Views:	144
Size:	383.9 KB
ID:	250074   Click image for larger version

Name:	008.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	375.4 KB
ID:	250082  
Advertisement

Old 04-25-2018, 03:28 PM   #2
JAWS

Default Re: what is this manifold

45 bendix/Zenith or that tiltston(sp.?) thing? Whatever it was that came out in the later servi car....Looks like one.
Old 04-25-2018, 06:47 PM   #3
Phlogisticated

What is the measurement across the flats on the nuts? That is, what size wrench would it take?
The KR idea is interesting - I don't know much about KRs, but we should be able to narrow it down some by knowing the nut size.
Servi should be 1-7/8" (same as WL). WR is 2-1/8". Dunno about KR, but I wouldn't be surprised if it was the same as WR.
Pretty apparent it is designed for a Linkert DC or Tillotson, since there's no such thing as a 2 bolt brass Linkert. So it's for something newer than about 1958 (I believe 1959 was first year for Linkert DC on Servis)
Phlogisticated is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-26-2018, 10:22 AM   #4
dbkp

Interesting, the flat to flat measurement on the nut is 2 1/8", so most likely for a later KR?
Old 04-26-2018, 07:17 PM   #5
dbkp

Thanks for the input. Added info, the manifold is forged steel, and has a foundry mark on it that looks like an angular bow tie or hourglass. The nuts look to be factory. Does not look like most aftermarket stuff.
Old 04-27-2018, 04:47 PM   #6
Phlogisticated

It's definitely for a flathead. The flattie manifolds have that "Y" shape. The OHV manifolds are "T" shaped (or close to it).
I'm pretty sure all the road going K's had brass Linkerts (& used 4 bolt manifolds).
All big twin flatties used 2" nuts & 3 bolt Linkerts. Big twin manifolds are also a little bit wider than 45 manifolds, but unless they are side by side it's pretty much impossible to tell the difference. Unless you know how wide it's supposed to be & you measure it, I guess.
The bowtie mark in the casting is also standard issue.
BTW, I think you'll find your manifold is cast steel or cast iron.
I'd put my money on it being a late KR manifold.

Last edited by Phlogisticated; 04-27-2018 at 04:49 PM. Reason: tuned up confusing sentence
Phlogisticated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2018, 06:04 PM   #7
dbkp

Yes, an old kr race guy here in town had one just like it on one of his old motors with a tillotson on it. The bowtie mark is correct for some HD racing parts. I just sold it to a member on here that deals a lot with flatheads.
Old 05-28-2018, 10:10 PM   #8
Simon

The Tillotson mounts horizontally, not vertically... The factory did mount twin Tillotsons sideways on the late KR, but on a special dual aluminium manifold. They also did release a factory race part for a single carb, but it was an aluminium adaptor not a full manifold.

I'd bet it was a servicar manifold for a DC Linkert, which does have the mounts vertically.
Simon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2018, 03:33 PM   #9
Cody Guthrie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
The Tillotson mounts horizontally, not vertically... The factory did mount twin Tillotsons sideways on the late KR, but on a special dual aluminium manifold. They also did release a factory race part for a single carb, but it was an aluminium adaptor not a full manifold.

I'd bet it was a servicar manifold for a DC Linkert, which does have the mounts vertically.
I don't know much about flatties but on the OHV bikes the Tillotson used horizontal mounting holes, the manifold had vertical mounting holes and it was adapted together with a square isolator block that had the two bolt patterns on it.
Cody Guthrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 01:12 AM   #10
dbkp

The intake seals and intake nuts on this were the size of a WR/KR, so not a WL or G motor intake. I have a old Kramer engineering dual Tillotson intake and carbs for a XL/XLR and it does not have the spacer blocks, the carbs mount 45% off of level directly to the manifold, it has two runners, and the carbs have parallellogram control connectors so both operate equally but it is O-ring mount, so not W or K.

Last edited by dbkp; 05-30-2018 at 01:40 AM.
dbkp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 12:56 AM   #11
Simon

Cody and Shovithead - I stand corrected. Forgot about the spacer block. Thanks for setting me straight!
Old 06-13-2018, 05:16 AM   #12
shovithead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Simon View Post
Cody and Shovithead - I stand corrected. Forgot about the spacer block. Thanks for setting me straight!
Can't speak for Cody, but anyone who claims to never get things wrong, is wrong. So, either you just forgot, or have never had a original carb with the original spacer block. There were two reasons for this. The original carbs, were not created for the HD, but for other equipment. I have several different models in my parts room, and none are in any HD book, but they are all similar in the horizontal mounting. The spacer had two reasons, one was to keep the heat off the carb, and creating a vapor lock, the other was to correct the horizontal mounting, to the vertical mounting on the HD intakes. Oh yeah, one more thing, was to give people a chance to be wrong. haha Many times, it has been me, that was wrong, just ask Joe49, he straightens me up all the time. We are human, so we make mistakes. Such is life. But it can be the best teacher, if you take it constructively. Simon did, and I would bet, he will never make that mistake again. School of hard knocks, teaches better than the Service Manual, for some of us.

42 UL long term project
44 Wife and best friend(Keeper for sure)
51 FLH short term project
60 Doc Dytch XLCH Drag only
61 XLCH parts bike
65 XLCH parts bike
66 FLH
68 XLCH parts bike
69 XLH wifies bike
69 XLH daily rider
70 XLH
72 XLH
72 C30 Chevy truck
73 FLH chopper(Shirley the Shovelhead) Daily rider
shovithead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2018, 10:52 PM   #13
Simon

I indeed forgot. What gets me is that I even have a couple of Tillotsons in the parts pile the XLR/KR ones (HD5A) - just couldn't see the forest for the trees! lol
Old 06-15-2018, 06:48 AM   #14
shovithead

No trees here, just old worn out eyes, and glasses do little good. Nobody gets it right every time, so no need to put yourself down. I bet you remember next time. Nobody on here is perfect, except HD48 and JAWS. Just ask me. haha Joe49 pulls a close second. And Govmule84 is better than perfect. He is right 110% of the time. I am not even in the running. So, you and I are two peas in a pod. Pour the coffee.

42 UL long term project
44 Wife and best friend(Keeper for sure)
51 FLH short term project
60 Doc Dytch XLCH Drag only
61 XLCH parts bike
65 XLCH parts bike
66 FLH
68 XLCH parts bike
69 XLH wifies bike
69 XLH daily rider
70 XLH
72 XLH
72 C30 Chevy truck
73 FLH chopper(Shirley the Shovelhead) Daily rider