This is the designated "how much is it worth" thread..... - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-06-2008, 05:37 PM   #1
BobberProject

Default This is the designated "how much is it worth" thread.....

Moderator Edit

This is getting out of hand. 3 "What's it worth" threads on the front page in a half-day today.

That's a lot of good tech-query threads and other good vintage stuff and events coverage getting displaced.

The same basic answers can be given ad nauseum i.e. "It's worth what you have to give for it", "It's worth what he gets for it", or "Learn to search closed Ebay listings for that model bike, for the going value"....but are either disregarded, or yet another intro post turns after "how much", into "where do I get parts" "is it big enough"............

So from here on out there is gonna be one thread and new threads will just be added onto it.

Ryan has told us many times he wants "a tech-oriented board not a marketplace", so if this market-survey drivel is to continue at least it can be contained.

hey guys you think this guy is fair with his price of 1900 bucks? its a 65 tr6ss, said it runs, and everything in the pics comes with it, i want it for the motor and registration then ill put my t120r in that frame and try to flip it and get some money back out of it, so basically im wondering if 19 hundred is fair for this project?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	jikhb.jpg
Views:	1045
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	36773   Click image for larger version

Name:	noinb[oi.jpg
Views:	715
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	36774   Click image for larger version

Name:	jnbikujb.jpg
Views:	665
Size:	78.1 KB
ID:	36775  

Name:	jkbkiuhbipub.jpg
Views:	810
Size:	72.7 KB
ID:	36776   Click image for larger version

Name:	oijnbou.jpg
Views:	649
Size:	66.8 KB
ID:	36777   Click image for larger version

Name:	uybv.jpg
Views:	780
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	36778  

Name:	umjnn.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	36779  

Last edited by Dragon; 05-14-2009 at 07:29 PM.
BobberProject is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-06-2008, 05:58 PM   #2
hotsos

Default Re: whats this worth?

looks OK, if it runs...
but I don't see how that is going to happen when 1/2 the bike is in crates.

Thats an OK price for Canada, but you can get cheaper in the states, the only thing is then you gotta go get it.
hotsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 06:18 PM   #3
BobberProject

im pretty much buying it for parts not something to ride. and being registered in BC is nice because it wont need an inspection then. if i buy something out of province then ill have to get it inspected which i dont want.

Old 12-06-2008, 06:40 PM   #4
motomotard

if it turns free, and all the stuff is there, then definitely. somebody will always tell you they found one for 50 bucks, but whatever, buy it.
motomotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #5
big_b

if it has papers id say its worth it. ive sold worse for more $$$. if i found it here id offer $1500 and go from there.
big_b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 07:50 PM   #6
hotsos

There was one listed in toronto last year for $1400 everyone and their dog tried to get over and get it. (I couldnt even get through on the phone) The first person that showed up took it away after it started up on the spot.

That same person took it to the motorcycle show 3 days later and had it for sale for $4000, exact bike, nothing changed on it. I dont know if it sold, but I havent seen it listed anymore anywhere, so i assume it sold to someone around that time.
hotsos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:08 PM   #7
BobberProject

he was asking 2100 and said 19 was his rock bottom price. thats what he has into it
Old 12-06-2008, 08:23 PM   #8
motomotard

like above, paper is a plus, dont know how hard it is to work shit out like that in canada
motomotard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2008, 08:24 PM   #9
swellguy

I'd be wary if someone says "it runs" with all that stuff in boxes. Frankly, now it doesn't run. I think you have a basket case. $1,500 I think might sound like lowballing but it looks fair to me.
Old 12-06-2008, 08:27 PM   #10
swellguy

This is more for the original poster (bobberproject) but unless he can show you an actual ICBC printed out registration - as if the bike could be plated that day if it was complete and running - any other paper is essentially worthless. And, it doesn't matter how much someone's got in a bike now. The market for bike stuff has gone to shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomotard View Post
like above, paper is a plus, dont know how hard it is to work shit out like that in canada
Old 12-06-2008, 08:34 PM   #11
Swap meet Louie

All that stuff in boxes? Disc brake rotors(bike has Drum), tail lights, badges and an air cleaner....Kick it over, if it even hints @ starting, ie. pops, farts ect. Buy it.......
Swap meet Louie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:09 PM   #12
Timberwolf

Default What's a 1970 Triumph T120R worth?

Just toying with ideas right now. I like the history behind the old british iron, but at the same time I am a big twin fan.

While I am reconciling what I want to do...I had a guy email me... he lives about 20 minutes away. He wanted to know if I'd sell him the motor. I told him probably not, but was willing to listen to offers...

He then stated he didn't have much money but wanted to trade me everything under the sun. This was after telling me the 650 wasn't worth much so I'd have to kick in cash, etc.

I checked fleabay and can only find one T120 on there, and the guy has a starting price of 500, and a BIN of $1k

I pretty much told the local to piss off (he offered me a honda xr80, but told me I would have to give him a couple hundred on top of the trump motor LOL)

Anyway, mine is a 1970, no title, t120R. ran when pulled though the carbs needed adjustment. Converted to electronic ignition. the patent plate is scuffed up and the timing cover was missing, but I have replacements for both of those new in packaging.

What would this old bird be worth if I did decide to feed the old v-twin flames instead and sell this thing? I'd probably sell it with the carbs and ignition unless they wouldn't add much to the value, at which point I'd market them separately, along with the drag pipes.
Timberwolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:13 PM   #13
tonuprocker

Default Re: What's a 1970 Triumph T120R worth?

up to-1k depending on the situation,the buyer etc. its not a pot of gold and theres alot of factors involved,here they are in demand so ive seen good ones go to a grand.
tonuprocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:18 PM   #14
Timberwolf

seems reasonable. Just not sure I can find a big twin that's also reasonable. apparently they ARE a pot of gold. I found a shovel sporty locally for around $2k that's a complete rider... but I'm not a huge fan of sporty motors

decisions decisions....
Old 12-20-2008, 07:22 PM   #15
Lurkingclass

I bought my 1970 T120R for $1000, and sold it for $13K, so yours is prolly worth something in between. Pics?
Lurkingclass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:23 PM   #16
Timberwolf

It's just the engine, carbs, etc. It was in a custom frame
Old 12-20-2008, 07:33 PM   #17
choppadude

Depends on alot of different things, are there any weld repairs from a chain breaking? Are the numbers stamped on the milled pad complete with the stampings of the Triumph logo? Any broken fins on the cylinder or cylinder head? What is the bore size? Does it shift through all the gears? Plug holes good or need heli coils. See where I'm going with this? More info = better estimate on its value.
choppadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 07:38 PM   #18
Timberwolf

no broken fins, no welds, the number pad still has the triumph logo. I never rode the bike as it needed new throttle cables and such but I didn't have any problems shifting it while it wasn't running. plug holes are fine and original too. Not 100% sure on the bore, and I don't want to take it apart to check if I don't have to.
Old 12-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #19
choppadude

Sounds like it would be worth a solid 1K. Maybe more, maybe less. Its always a crap shoot buying a motor but I always plan on doing a complete tear down on any Brit motor I buy and figure that into the price when I buy one.
Good luck with whatever path ya choose.
choppadude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-20-2008, 08:02 PM   #20
Frosty

Engines w/no paperwork aren't worth much.Now the parts on the other hand might be worth something.Head should go for $150,cylinders maybe $100,and carbs could bring fair money.All the other bits can be sold also.I like when the question of what a bike is worth comes up.It is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it.Good luck.
Frosty is offline   Reply With Quote