CAD drawings Triumph-frame-motor etc - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-20-2014, 04:48 AM   #1
rolfotter

Default CAD drawings Triumph-frame-motor etc

Heee,

I did have some Inventor 3D drawing education at School, but i am not using it at the moment in my job. It would be a shame to forget everything I learned, since I really liked working With 3D drawing.

So now the plan is to Draw the bike I am building, than I can practice my skills, work With my hobby and the wife is happy 'cause she thinks I am studying.

I am building a JAP flathead 600cc 1932, in a '54 Triumph frame, With some unidentified pre-unit 4 gir triumph Box and an Enfield clutch.

I will post some pics of the process, just let me know if somebody is interested or is doing the same thing.
rolfotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-20-2014, 07:44 AM   #2
little d

Default Re: CAD drawings Triumph-frame-motor etc

Rolfotter,
I for one would love to see them. Some of the 3-D drawings I've seen are art.
Old 05-20-2014, 09:55 AM   #3
scooterc

being a cad user myself would love to to see your work...
scooterc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-2014, 10:07 AM   #4
Dr. Benway
Mod Squad

Look around here for the Masterati-engined bike, or search the web for Desmohog (or Harlcati) I think there was some pretty cool CAD associated with those builds.
Dr. Benway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2014, 07:34 PM   #5
ELpolacko

Also looking forward to your progress.

I use Alibre' and have been designing my hot rod stuff.

Currently working on a 1936 VL frame. I just can't get some of the cuts and sweeps the way I would like, but I really don't need to produce the whole frame and bits perfectly for my builds.

I need to finish this...

Old 05-23-2014, 09:00 AM   #6
rolfotter

Thanks for the respons, so there is some interest
I started drawing my engine, So far I had my engine in the garage and my PC inside, that didn't work! Been up and down a hundred times to measure and og in to Draw and out to measure again.
Next step is cleaning up the engine, so I can have it on my Kitchen table while I Draw.

Been thinking about the frame. What would be the right way? Draw the cast-iron parts first and Connect With pipe afterwards, or Draw the hole frame at once? Any suggestions?

Dr Benway: I looked at the Maserati- bike, that is an hole other Level!! Impressive!

Elpolacko: Nice! Is it an illustration drawing, or will you use this to machine the parts?

I will post some pics when I get some results.
Old 05-23-2014, 09:20 AM   #7
Dr. Benway
Mod Squad

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfotter View Post
Been up and down a hundred times to measure and og in to Draw and out to measure again.
Sounds like someone needs a FaroArm.
Dr. Benway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 09:48 AM   #8
mads4

My take..
mads4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 03:28 PM   #9
flatman

duckmans bitchin biker page (dbbp) has ALOT of cad drawn bikes.
flatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 06:04 AM   #10
rolfotter

Mads4: That excelsior is really Nice! How did you do the frame? I have been talking to some of the CAD-guru's here at work, and everybody has a completely different opinion. Some say use the frame generator, others suggest to Draw a circle and a line through the center or do I start With the cast iron parts?

Any suggestions?
Old 05-26-2014, 08:45 AM   #11
little d

Mads,
right click, save.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:34 AM   #12
greasystain
Banned

what ever happened to getting some rusty steel and then turning an oxy acet torch on and hitting stuff with hammers..... i mean come on drawing on the computer? how about draw your ass out into the garage. just sayin.
greasystain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 09:38 AM   #13
mads4

Hi Rolfotter.
I basically started from one end, doing the castings of the frame, then tubing, (standard command loft/rail/sweep in Rhino), then forks, then engine ect. It did help a lot that the frame was completely dismantled and I had a frame jig for datum points. Still need to do the left side of the engine, thats why you allways see it from the right..
Mads

and thanks, Little d.
mads4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 10:17 AM   #14
little d

Mads,
your welcome. Your work reminds me of someone else... Just can't put my finger on it...
Old 05-26-2014, 12:49 PM   #15
vorhese

What's one thing I would like to see is a Triumph unit frame showing different stretch and drop sizes, and front and rear tire combinations. It probably wouldn't be too hard to make a solidworks file and make it dimensionally driven. Maybe a flash type deal where you can input the info and it will give you a preview of the geometry. The font loop would be static, the rear loop would have 2 dims adjustable, the wheels and tires would be adjustable, maybe even make the rake adjustable. It would take a lot of guess work out for me for my next hard tail build. I wouldnt have to worry about buying a hardtail from Dave or FMW and then not being completely happy with the outcome.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:38 PM   #16
Rasmussen

Quote:
Originally Posted by greasystain View Post
what ever happened to getting some rusty steel and then turning an oxy acet torch on and hitting stuff with hammers..... i mean come on drawing on the computer? how about draw your ass out into the garage. just sayin.
I can't do CAD either
Old 05-26-2014, 02:42 PM   #17
ELpolacko

Quote:
Who says were not? Think of this as yet another version of the original CAD system, you know Concrete Aided Design....

No? Sorry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rolfotter View Post

Elpolacko: Nice! Is it an illustration drawing, or will you use this to machine the parts?
Just inputting the parts so I can get the geometry right. If all goes well, you will see this bike on the Motorcycle Cannonball in Sept!
Old 05-26-2014, 03:37 PM   #18
2Loose

CAD/CAM has certainly come a long ways. I was in UC engineering school '59-'63, and all drawings were pen and ink, slow and cumbersome!

I've always worked in sugar and pineapple here in Hawaii, and when Autocad first came out I bought the earliest version, then had to find a machine that would run it. It was slow, didn't have much memory, but was way faster then pen and ink. Drawings were produced by a drawing machine that held a bunch of ink pens, 9 I think, and you could assign different pen widths or colors to the nine pen stations. Watching that machine draw was a trip, the paper ran in and out, and the pens ran right and left, producing a fairly nice 2D drawing.

I laid out a few 2D bikes (after hours ya understand, strictly after hours....) back then, was looking at building a '59 chop, fabbing my own rigid frame rear for the '59 swing arm frame, and looking at various rakes and front end lengths.

When ACAD finally came up with the layers concept, I could lay out a basic frame and on various layers lay out different lengths and styles of front ends, different tanks, different seats, and by turning the layers on and off, instantly evaluate how it might look....

Beats the hell outta taking some rusty steel, and a whole buncha time and cutting, welding, hammering, putting parts on, then finding out I don't like it, like my Dad and I did back in the 50's....

Switched jobs away from my need for cad drafting by the time 3D cad came out, played with a buddy's #D cad a couple of times, but was away from it by then. I'm very impressed with what can be done on a 3D computer these days.

Wish I still had some of those old bike 2D files around, but a computer crash wiped 'em out. Kept the hard drive, they're probably still there if I took the time to hook up the hard drive and look for 'em....

Got three panhead projects going on right now, but know pretty well what I want to do with them. Some day maybe with the 3D, but in the meantime I love to watch you guys work with it, it's a way cool technology....

Particularly the drawings where you can rotate the drawing around and look at it from all view points, that just blows my mind !!!
Aloha,
Willy

Last edited by 2Loose; 05-26-2014 at 03:54 PM.
2Loose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2014, 07:02 AM   #19
rolfotter

Talking Re: CAD drawings Triumph-frame-motor etc

Quote:
Haha, if every inventor would have listened to you, there wouldn't be much in Your garage to work on.
Old 05-28-2014, 07:06 AM   #20
rolfotter

Mads, I'll try that, I will start With the cast iron parts and work from there. Haven't been drawing much lately, the sun shines in Scandinavia, and when that happens you have to go out and drive. It is soon Winter again here.
And I actually Draw my ass out to the garage, and made some engine plates.