jgilbo17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-12-2011, 02:08 PM   #22
Frank D

Default Re: Build Thread: 1967 Triumph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Has anyone successfully laced a conical hub to a Harley 21-2.15 rim???

My engine builder hooked me up with a Harley Rim that measures T21-2.15 TLA. I want to lace this to my front conical hub (pictured above). I called Buchannan's and they said that they can supply me with spokes for this application; however, when I asked about whether the angle of the hole in the Harley rim would work correctly with the Triumph conical hub and their spokes they said that that was up to me to figure out.

I read one guy on here saying that he tried it and it didn't work but i was wondering if anyone here has had any success lacing a triumph conical hub to a harley 21-2.15 rim??
I have a feeling that trying to lace this up is going to just cause me agaitation, but I would be pretty pumped if this would work because I am going to powder coat the rim black so whether it is brand new or not is not an issue and I think that buying a new rim 21" rim from buchannan's and then powder coating it and lacing it will be quite costly....
Frank D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 05:12 PM   #23
Loffer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
Has anyone successfully laced a conical hub to a Harley 21-2.15 rim???

My engine builder hooked me up with a Harley Rim that measures T21-2.15 TLA. I want to lace this to my front conical hub (pictured above). I called Buchannan's and they said that they can supply me with spokes for this application; however, when I asked about whether the angle of the hole in the Harley rim would work correctly with the Triumph conical hub and their spokes they said that that was up to me to figure out.

I read one guy on here saying that he tried it and it didn't work but i was wondering if anyone here has had any success lacing a triumph conical hub to a harley 21-2.15 rim??
Bobberdogs had them lace a 8" drum to a 21" and they drilled the rim for him.

I am pretty sure they supplied the rim.
Loffer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-2011, 05:30 PM   #24
Frank D

Yea I'm starting to think that I will probably need to buy a rim and spoke set from them... Oh well I guess I couldn't be that lucky.

Any suggestions for rim type. I plan on powder coating the rim black so I guess steel would be my best option, right?
Old 01-16-2011, 11:54 AM   #25
Frank D

Ok, called Buchannan's found out that I could use the Harley rim but the spokes may bow a bit on on side because of the angle...so I am just going to order a 21" steel rim punched for the conical hub.
Old 01-16-2011, 05:35 PM   #26
steven666

cant wait to see more progress....
steven666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2011, 05:52 PM   #27
Tony the torch

Send a message via Yahoo to Tony the torch

Buchannan's can dimple and drill the blank rims that they have in stock, so you could go that way.
Old 01-17-2011, 01:07 AM   #28
Frank D

yea that is what I will end up doing. Once he started talking about "bowing spokes" i decided it was time to knock the moths out of my wallet and pony up some cash to have a rim drilled. Hopefully ill get to place and order in the next few weeks.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:32 AM   #29
Frank D

Hey guys I want to know if anyone has any experience with Northern Eagle Cycle http://northerneagle.ca/ I want to order new fork tubes today for my conical hub front end and they have a great deal... only $100 for BOTH tubes. The only problem is that it seems too good to be true when every other place I look seems to be advertising them for much more???? Any feed back would be helpful. Should I be grateful for a good deal or cautious of getting shitty tubes?
Old 01-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #30
Frank D

Hey guys,
Not much of an update on the bike. Plan on ordering some parts this week, but I thought that I would put this link up and see if anyone would be interested in helping me as I raise money for childhood cancer. Through the St. Baldrick's day organization I am raising money and shaving my head for childhood cancer.

Even a donation of $1 helps. A dollar is very little to part with but can have a huge impact on the lives of these kids if enough people donate.... just think how many JJ members we have here. I'm not big on asking people for money because I know that I work hard for mine, but I feel that this is a really awesome cause.

I didn't post this as a thread of its own because I didn't know if that would be ok to do with the mods and senior members but I figured I would try to get the word out on my thread.

Thanks for reading,
Frank

http://www.stbaldricks.org/participa...ipantid/421155
Old 02-02-2011, 08:02 PM   #31
Frank D

Ordered new fork tubs and internals to rebuild my forks today! Can't wait until they come.

I'm planning on ordering a 21" front rim and spoke kit from Buchannan's but I'm not sure what width I should go with. The rear is going to be a 18X4.00.

What do you guys think for the front? 21X1.85 or 21X2.15
Old 02-22-2011, 07:50 PM   #32
swiseman

Hey Frank D I have a question about your conical front hub. Did yours have any sort of coating on it like a gray paint or something. I have the same one and wanted to take it down to bare metal and polish it up like yours. They just look so damn good all shinny. Anyway, if you could, would you elaborate on what you did to get it to where it is now. I have read all sorts of threads on polishing, just more curious as to the condition it came in and what you did to prep it.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:47 PM   #33
Motocrash

Are you running the Dunlop K70 4.00-18 on the rear? I'm building a 18" wheel and the Dunlop is the tire I keep gravitating back to. I can't find anywhere the mounted width and diameter though.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:38 PM   #34
Frank D

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiseman View Post
Hey Frank D I have a question about your conical front hub. Did yours have any sort of coating on it like a gray paint or something. I have the same one and wanted to take it down to bare metal and polish it up like yours. They just look so damn good all shinny. Anyway, if you could, would you elaborate on what you did to get it to where it is now. I have read all sorts of threads on polishing, just more curious as to the condition it came in and what you did to prep it.

Mine was pretty rough when I got it. I started sanding it with 80 grit and moved all the way up through 600 and then went to the polishing wheel and went from grey to red to white rouge. I'll tell ya it took forever!
Old 07-24-2011, 06:48 PM   #35
Frank D

I'm starting to move ahead on my build again but I'm having trouble lacing my rear wheel. After relacing it several times here is where I am.

After tightening the spokes up until they were uniformly tight the drive side of the hub sits almost level with the rim while the speedo side protrudes quite a bit past the edge of the rim. It just looks wrong to me... Any advice??
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	695.9 KB
ID:	66036   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	751.9 KB
ID:	66037   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0264.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	645.3 KB
ID:	66038  

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	639.1 KB
ID:	66039  
Old 07-26-2011, 09:28 AM   #36
Frank D

Any ideas? The first few times that I laced the rim the spokes were sticking out past the top of some nipples a lot more than others so I took everything apart changed the direction of my inner spokes and everything seemed to be going well this time around since everything seemed to be going together evenly. But then as I started tightening everything up I noticed that the spokes on the drive side were almost straight up and down (making the drive side of the hub pretty much in line with the edge of the rim while the speedo side of the hub protruded quite a bit past the edge of the rim.

I tightened all of the spokes in consistent degrees until everything felt pretty tight and this is what I ended up with. Does anyone have some idea as to what's happening. I got the hub spokes and rim with a basket case that I bought. The previous owner began to lacing them up but he had it wrong so I decided to try and redo it myself.... Could this be the wrong kit???
Old 10-23-2011, 10:42 AM   #37
Frank D

I haven't posted in a while but thought I'd throw up some new pics to show some recent progress (although not too much).

*Split the cases and now waiting for new rod bearings so I can have the crank cut.

**Still undecided as to what if any mods I will do to the motor. Is it worth going with megacycle cams and having head work done in terms of the performance to cost ratio? I've never had a Triumph before and the people I talk to tell me that I will be disappoint with the power...

***I finally cut the old hardtail off my front loop and am in the process of fitting up the new david bird one (+4 with 2.5 drop). I will wait until I bolt up the cases to align the new hardtail. I'm concerned with alignment issues because the hardtail that was on there was welded on and I had to do quite a bit of cutting and grinding to get it off.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0273.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	490.4 KB
ID:	69449   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0277.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	644.7 KB
ID:	69450   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0280.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	467.6 KB
ID:	69451  

Name:	IMG_0283.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	512.2 KB
ID:	69452  
Old 10-23-2011, 10:44 AM   #38
Frank D

Frame pic
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0295.jpg
Views:	201
Size:	635.6 KB
ID:	69453  
Old 10-23-2011, 11:31 AM   #39
Rob Axel

..get the finished tire on the rear rim when you do the alignment....since your offset is gonna be different...
Old 01-25-2012, 10:22 PM   #40
Frank D

Just got back from Dutchman Fabrication tonight after the owner Gary did some valve work on my 650 heads. Check it out...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_0627.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	637.3 KB
ID:	73083   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0629.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	565.9 KB
ID:	73084  

Tags