Another crank question - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 06-07-2011, 09:25 PM   #1
Adam Lonergan

Default Another crank question

Hi Guys, been tearing down this crank and have come across a couple of things I'm not sure about 1. being the missing sludge trap (sorted now)
2. being the damage see attached pics.

The first concern is the hole in the first pic where the bearing sits, is this meant to be there if not is it a woory?
the second is the end looks like it has been damaged and repaired? Should I carry on? or maybe do the impossible and try and find a good second hand crank? (T120V)
Adam Lonergan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-07-2011, 09:26 PM   #2
Adam Lonergan

Default Re: Another crank question

pics here
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0703.JPG
Views:	142
Size:	85.2 KB
ID:	64175   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0706.JPG
Views:	152
Size:	72.5 KB
ID:	64176   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0707.JPG
Views:	143
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	64177  

Old 06-07-2011, 11:30 PM   #3
Adam Lonergan

Any ideas anyone
ooppps by the way 71 triumph t120v

Old 06-08-2011, 02:42 AM   #4
Daturat100r

Where in nz are you? if in auckland try glendene or taylor engine reconditioners and ask their opinion,crack test and a spin on knife edges to see if its still true and i would get looking for a good crank anyway as a backstop.A few repairs to cranks i have seen would horrify you,one 650 matchless crank had its journals built up with wear braze and when reassembled it would not turn over so it was towed behind a car till the pistons welded themselves to the bores.
The sludge trap is really only to make the highly packed crap easy to remove from the crank and are easily replaced and cheaply with a new one .
Daturat100r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2011, 03:47 AM   #5
Adam Lonergan

Cheers for that, im in Blenheim so a long ways from auckland! I am looking into a second hand crank at the moment. and yes the sludge is bloody hard to dig outta there!
Old 06-08-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Daturat100r

my engineer showed me the easy way of getting tube out.he picked up an old flat file whose tang fitted into tube without bottoming out in the hole,a couple of taps on the end of the file (with glasses on)to drive the soft tang firmly into tube and a couple of twists of the file and tube with a crescent on the file then the tube slid out with a final twist.Heaps easier than pissing around using a tap.
Judging by the number of drilled out centre punch marks around the sludge trap she has been apart a few times ,do you know what undersize it is?If you don't have a mike the size should be on the back of the bearing shells.It may be getting to small to take the risk and std. size cranks needing a grind turn up every now and then
Old 06-09-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
Adam Lonergan

I'm 30 thou under at the moment so I think I can safely go to 40 thou under? I have tried british spares for a second hand one but they have got a whole lotta stuff in a container that they need to unpack however they did offer to get me a new one for a mere $770!! thats a bit outta the budget.
Im yet to turn up an answer on the little hole where the engine bearing goes (anyone got any ideas?)
So at the moment it looks like the crank im going to have to use, Ive got a fair bit of time before I rip into the engine so I'll see what happens.
Heres a pic of where the bikes at.
Cheers for all the help!
As you can see from all the junk in the background I have a couple of wee girls that take up most of my time!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0686.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	110.2 KB
ID:	64200  
Old 06-09-2011, 01:44 PM   #8
YETI CUSTOMS

I used to work for spares a few years back,they should have plenty of used cranks but Tim will take his time unloading shit,not sure who works there now since they shifted and knows what they are looking for,hell your in blenheim take a drive over there one day you might get better help if you turned up but from what I understand They don't like to do retail i.e. people turning up asking for shit good way to run a business.
YETI CUSTOMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #9
YETI CUSTOMS

Oh yea that hole is for the crossdrilling in the crank oilways.
YETI CUSTOMS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #10
Daturat100r

Keep your eye on trademe cranks and whole bottom ends do turn up on there fairly regularly.Cycle torque in hamilton may be worth a try.I know a couple of people with unit spares and will ask them next time i see them
Old 06-09-2011, 11:44 PM   #11
Adam Lonergan

Cheers guys much appreciated!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 12:47 AM   #12
dandruff

The crank journals and bearing journals can be welded and ground to standard by a competent crankshaft shop that has the tools to do that. I have had this done successfully by Marine Crankshaft in Santa Ana, CA. I believe the owner David is from Australia, he may be able to refer you to a shop in NZ. The email address is on his website.
dandruff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 06:38 PM   #13
Frank D

I just bought .10 connecting rod shells and need to have my crank cut but can't find the spec for crank oil clearance. Does anyone know what it is?
Frank D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:55 AM   #14
bon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank D View Post
I just bought .10 connecting rod shells and need to have my crank cut but can't find the spec for crank oil clearance. Does anyone know what it is?
The shop doing the grinding should know , tell them the original size which you can get in the shop manual and they should do the rest. What crank is it ? I might know.
bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 01:12 PM   #15
Frank D

Quote:
Originally Posted by bon View Post
The shop doing the grinding should know , tell them the original size which you can get in the shop manual and they should do the rest. What crank is it ? I might know.
It's a 1967 triumph bonneville. I couldn't find it in my manual. I gues I'd need the factory service manual to find that spec. I torqued the rod caps down with the new shells in them and I guess he needs to find out how much clearance needs to left between the new bearings and the crank. Thanks...
Old 12-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #16
bon

From the triumph manual , the big end diameter is 1.6235/1.6240" and the clearance between the bearing and big end journal is 0.0005/0.0020"
bon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 05:27 PM   #17
Frank D

Thanks for the help.