Triumph rim lacing - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-19-2010, 03:17 PM   #21
Galaxie500XL

Default Re: Triumph rim lacing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hartz Bros View Post
What size avon is it? I run a 5.00x16 which will give about 3/8" to 1/2" of clearance from chain to tire.. which is more than enough.. I have seen alot of them hitting the tire on some of the junk that comes thru the door..
Thanks that what I wanted to know. I'll be using a 5.00x16.
Galaxie500XL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-22-2010, 06:55 PM   #22
MonsterGt

Quote:
And the rear...

The red looks killer on these wheels. Just wondering, but can I lace my dual flange Harley hub up to my 18 in triumph rear wheel?
MonsterGt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 08:09 PM   #23
bleedinknucks

Man this thread is super helpfull. Thanx man. Ive recently tried this process while sitting on the couch at home. I got the hub laced to the wheel. I dont know if its right but i did miss one spoke. Even though i missed one i felt good. Now ill redo it and feel better.
bleedinknucks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-22-2010, 08:20 PM   #24
Miker

Here is a helpful link for rear Triumph hub lacing (spool type). I understand some stock rims are handed and need to be installed on the correct side.
http://www.tioc.org/lacing371007rim.htm
Miker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:47 AM   #25
cmantle1

Quote:
When you are doing the rear, when you get to the right side, you will have to press down to make the hub protrude the 1/8 past the edge of the rim that you need...while tightening the nipples evenly all the way around... So keep the hub suspended in the air, while the rim lays flat on some 2x4's..
Truing, and tourquing should be done by an experienced tech, but if you get your own rim laced, it will give you a good sense of pride, and what building a motorcycle is all about...
can you elaborate on this a little? do you need to use some kind of depth gauge to get right at 1/8 or a 1/4 offset while lacing with the rim on the wood? sorry for rookie question, i guess i was just under the impression that the offset was done with the wheel on a truing stand....and is truing the wheel with the offset a pretty easy deal? there are no indy shops around me so i may have to resort to the harley shop if push comes to shove...
cmantle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 05:54 AM   #26
Hartz Bros

Well, hard to explain... You will want to set the offset before truing.. I take a long flat edge against the hub flange and it should protrude 1/8 outside the rim edge... Tighten the right side spokes evenly until you get this... Some hardtails require you to set the offset right at the edge of the rim but you will need to be using a narrow tire when doing this.. The 1/8 was originally to clear the 5x16 tires.. I find that even a 1/16 offset when using the Shinko vintage look tires is perfect and even puts the rim in the center of the frame (sometimes).. An Avon 5x16 wlll require the 1/8 offset for chain clearance... Hope that didnt confuse you more..
If you cant find anyone to do the rim, send it to me and I will set it up..
Hartz Bros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 06:05 AM   #27
4444Design

very helpfull post!

still i think i am too stupid to do that on my own ...

Thomas
Old 12-07-2010, 02:16 PM   #28
cmantle1

Quote:
Well, hard to explain... You will want to set the offset before truing.. I take a long flat edge against the hub flange and it should protrude 1/8 outside the rim edge... Tighten the right side spokes evenly until you get this... Some hardtails require you to set the offset right at the edge of the rim but you will need to be using a narrow tire when doing this.. The 1/8 was originally to clear the 5x16 tires.. I find that even a 1/16 offset when using the Shinko vintage look tires is perfect and even puts the rim in the center of the frame (sometimes).. An Avon 5x16 wlll require the 1/8 offset for chain clearance... Hope that didnt confuse you more..
If you cant find anyone to do the rim, send it to me and I will set it up..
not at all man that really helped thanks. i am planning on running the shinko tire, so i think when i lace i can handle the 1/16" off of the rim with a straight edge, and then have it trued and torqued. if not, ill be sure to contact you.
cmantle1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 10:51 AM   #29
Frank D

Hey guys,

I have an 18" rim being laced to a triumph rear hub (see picture). This all came with a basket case bike that I bought and looking at the paperwork it appears that the spoke kit came from Buchannan's.

I have a quick question that I need answered:
I have laced the wheel several times and keep running into issues. At first the spokes were sticking out unevenly but after several tries I got the wheel to look like the picture below. The only problem is that something looks wrong with this.... The drive side spokes look almost straight up and down while the speedo side are on a significant angle. This is causing the speedo side of the hub to stick way out past the rim compared to the sprocket side....

Help...please.

Does anyone have a spec that would tell me how far the very outer edge of the hub should protrude past the rim on either side so that I would know that I have the hub in correct orientation to the rim?

I'm thinking that there must be some definitive number or measurement for a stock hub and 18" rim?? I hear a lot of people talking about offset but the impression that I get is that this applies to those of you who are using 16" Harley rims...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0266.jpg
Views:	412
Size:	639.1 KB
ID:	66203   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0267.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	695.9 KB
ID:	66204   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0268.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	751.9 KB
ID:	66205  

Frank D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 02:18 PM   #30
strangedaze39

@frank: On the extra rear 18" I have (same hub and set up as yours) the side the sprocket and drum bolts to only protrudes about a 1/2" while the other side appears almost double that. It looks like you need to slide that drum over about a half a inch to the sprocket side.
strangedaze39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:24 PM   #31
choppers

Thumbs up Re: Triumph rim lacing

really interesting
choppers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 03:41 PM   #32
Frank D

So I guess that I must be close then because if you look at the picture that I have you can see that when laying flat the sprocket side sticks put about half an inch and the other side looks to be at least double that... It just looks strange to me. Does anyone have a picture of an 18" rim laced this triumph hub? I wish there was a definitive measurement to go off of in order to figure out exactly where the hub should sit in relation to the rim.
Old 07-31-2011, 04:55 PM   #33
strangedaze39

If you think about it the hub will have a offset because once you mount the drum assembly it will even things out a bit. I measured it for you. My OEM assembly measures 3/4" protruding from the right side, and 1/4" protruding from the drive (drum sprocket) side.

Hope that helps
strangedaze39 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2011, 06:25 PM   #34
Frank D

Quote:
Originally Posted by strangedaze39 View Post
If you think about it the hub will have a offset because once you mount the drum assembly it will even things out a bit. I measured it for you. My OEM assembly measures 3/4" protruding from the right side, and 1/4" protruding from the drive (drum sprocket) side.

Hope that helps
Thanks, that is exactly what I wanted to find out. It just looks so strange to me the way that it sits.
Old 08-01-2011, 06:47 AM   #35
Hartz Bros

Something isnt right.... The spokes shouldnt be sticking thru the end of the nipple.. I would try it again... Search for pics of an 18" rim and go from there... Offset is a 1/2"...
Old 08-01-2011, 08:22 AM   #36
canuck19

If this is going into a custom frame, you will want to worry about offset after getting the chain aligned.
canuck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 08:57 AM   #37
Loydo50

I just got two set of spokes from buchanan and both had a little extra length about an 1/8" to a 1/16" sticking past the nipple. One was a 19" rear and the other was a 16" rear. I called them up and they told me it was normal that they pad them a bit.
Loydo50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 09:53 AM   #38
canuck19

Yeah I also had to grind my spokes from Buchanan's down. bout 1/8"
canuck19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2011, 11:05 AM   #39
Hartz Bros

Yeah maybe after final tightening they could stick out a few threads.. But its not normal pre truing/final tightening.. Just my opinion
Old 08-01-2011, 12:11 PM   #40
Loydo50

I completely agree,I guess I missed that part. My bad...lol.
Loydo50 is offline   Reply With Quote