NZ Shovelhead build - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 04-28-2019, 02:12 AM   #21
NZT100

Default Re: NZ Shovelhead build

Had to dummy everything up and see where we are sitting. A lot of work to be done now but having the roller locked in is a major milestone for sure.

Had to try on a couple of seats and the rear fender im planning to use for good measure.

Genuine Bates solo and P-Pad

And another that my friend had made a long time ago.

Last edited by NZT100; 04-28-2019 at 04:04 PM.
NZT100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2019, 12:09 PM   #22
JAWS

I like to try and get them rideable in this state. Put a few hundred miles on it and the change stuff that needs it....

Looks killer.
Old 04-28-2019, 04:05 PM   #23
NZT100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
I like to try and get them rideable in this state. Put a few hundred miles on it and the change stuff that needs it....

Looks killer.
Thanks Jaws. The plan will be to get it rideable and put some test miles on it before paint and chrome. Cant bloody wait!!

Old 05-12-2019, 07:44 PM   #24
NZT100

Have continued chipping away at things. Heaps of work going down on the primary side which ill do a post about once finished.

One thing i have buttoned up was the gearbox mounting. Being i am using a tin primary with belt setup i had to use a trans adjuster plate. The adjuster plate takes up some thread from the gearbox studs and i wasn't happy with the amount of engagement left on the nuts, so i made these longer studs up and this washer plate. Trans is securely mounted now with the baering support on. I also had to space the bearing support a few mm to clear the sprocket nut so i cut some spacer plates on the laser rather than juts using washers.

I also got the headlight mount all welded, i added a tab that bolts to the spring bridge so it cant rotate, works really well.

Dummied the exhaust up too. I was originally going to make these pipes but considering time, material + chrome vs the Paughco price, i opted to buy, i planned to build them identical so this made life a lot easier. Really good quality and great fit from Paughco so kudos to them. Still need to make mounts yet.

Old 06-13-2019, 05:15 PM   #25
NZT100

Hasn't been swarms of progress as of late due to other commitments. Have ordered a last haul of parts needed from the US so they're on their way, other than that i did a heap of work getting the primary side to work.

I wanted to run a belt drive in the factory tin primary setup which i knew could be done. Setup i had was BDL 1.5" belt drive, 5 finger clutch hub, Sifton Diaphragm clutch, and re-pop Tin primary covers for inner and outer. A fair bit of work had to happen to get all this to fit so here's what was involved for anyone looking to do a similar setup.

- Drilled out the inner primary to motor case holes (A LOT) to get the inner primary to pivot at the clutch end and clear the clutch hub
- Clearanced the inner primary a few mm right around the front pulley for belt clearance as it fouled
- Drilled clearance holes for the nuts on the outer bearing support for the primary
- Ground the lip on the inner primary where the two pieces of sheetmetal are welded together down as this hit the belt, then fused it back together
- Machined the clutch basket OD down to just above the rivets for added clearance

So overall a fair bit of drilling, grinding and welding. Pics below including indoor welding setup...the joys of indoor chopper building

In the above pic you can see the area i had to fuse back together after grinding the lip down from where the factory joined the sheetmetal.

And below is what it looks like mostly assembled. Still need to make the bottom rear mount, but found a nice rubber vibration isolater to connect the top mount to the oil tank which has worked great.

In other unfinished news, got the clutch cable adjuster mount all made, and began work on mounting the exhaust.

I'm using a Paughco exhaust system and Emgo shorty slip on muffler tips. The tips are supposed to slip on but i found there is around 1.6mm difference in the OD of the Paughco pipe and the ID of the Emgo mufflers. What i did was get some 0.7mm copper sheet and roll it to make a gasket/spigot ring. This now means the mufflers are a really good fit to the pipes. I will cut slits in each muffler and use SS clamps to secure the joins. Just need to weld in my mounting points which ill do next week and the exhaust will be on.

Thats all for now
Old 06-24-2019, 03:25 PM   #26
NZT100

Got busy over the weekend locking in the primary side...ran into an issue unfortunately.

After getting the inner primary cover welding finished, welding the lower inner primary mount, and welding in a new upper inner primary mount on the oil tank, i fitted the Sifton diaphragm clutch up only to find it fouls the outer cover by a bucket load....bugger. Simple fix is to go back to the stock clutch...oh well.

Pics tell the story.

Upper and lower primary mounts with vibration isolaters (still need to sort the hardware)

New oil tank mount as the old one was offset to far inward. Id show my welding but i had a mare on this and im not proud lol

Inner primary fitted up, as well as the new clutch, also showing some of the footpeg/shifter side which is just mocked up for now

I also ended up cutting off the JIC oil tank fittings as my fitting and hose options weren't going to work out due to limited clearance from the top exhaust. I bought some Swagelok weld in fittings, fizzed them in, then polished and bent up some 316SS tube...still more to do here.

Old 06-24-2019, 04:52 PM   #27
JAWS

Just wondering if anyone has said that you do nice work...
Old 06-24-2019, 05:03 PM   #28
NZT100

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAWS View Post
Just wondering if anyone has said that you do nice work...
Thanks Jaws, bit by bit its coming together
Old 06-24-2019, 05:05 PM   #29
JAWS

Im still wondering... it needs to be said. Im not gonna say it now cause that would be awkward.
Old 06-24-2019, 05:37 PM   #30
Thebigguy0811

I must echo Jaws. That's really nice work
Old 06-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #31
Ratso

Sure 'nuff.

The solo seat looks perfect.
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 10:28 AM   #32
Larry Ritchey

Only one other person, that I know, does work that nice is Jimmy and he does work for Ness.
Larry Ritchey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 02:14 PM   #33
Rigpig

Awesome build and great looking bike! I did a double take on the Swagelock fittings... I did the same to mine a few years ago, not a fan of the usual hose clamps and rubber lines.
Cheers!
Rigpig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2019, 08:37 PM   #34
NZT100

Thanks everyone for the kind words, pretty humbled to be honest.

I'm looking forward to getting the back wheel back on and the bars mounted so i can move this thing outside for a look....hard to get a good eye on it when you're building it your lounge!!
Old 07-01-2019, 08:14 PM   #35
NZT100

Made some more progress on the oil lines and rear brake over the weekend.

The oil lines were going really well until the tube bender failed...have ordered a new Rigid brand bender from the USA as i wanted to get one that had the same radius so i didnt have to re-make everything, should be here in a week or so.

Now for pictures!!

First i pre-polished the tube. I got this form a different supplier and it polished up a lot nicer than the first lot i had. I may end up remaking the oil feed yet.

Then began the bending. I scribbled down dimensions so i could replicate the top 150 degree bends.

My inner de-burring tool.

One done, needs trimming back.

And this line finished.

Got most of the way thorugh the last oil ine then this happened...dont buy cheap tools people!!

So this is where the lines are at.

I also fitted my new oil pressure gauge which is really nice.

I've also made a start on my speedo mount which is going to be all part of the top motor mount. Having a speedo is a legal requirement here so want to make this as discreet as possible.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:31 PM   #36
Ratso

Stupid tubing bender!
Ratso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:02 PM   #37
tomsoftail

I love the paint staging, platform and the welder in the living room. You can fab when you're watching the (insert sports team) play. Ha ha

That second piece od thing fron the oil bag, do you have to start over again or can you cut and re-bend? It looks like our might be too close just make the bend into the tank.
tomsoftail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2019, 10:29 PM   #38
NZT100

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomsoftail View Post
That second piece od thing fron the oil bag, do you have to start over again or can you cut and re-bend? It looks like our might be too close just make the bend into the tank.
TBH the unfinished piece was just a test run as it has some gauges in the tube i couldn't polish out. Rather than just scrap the whole piece i used it to map out the lower bends for this oil line. When my new bender arrives ill work from the top down, ive still got a few metres of tube left yet.
Old 07-14-2019, 05:21 PM   #39
NZT100

Little bit more done, mounted my speedo (have to have one to be road legal over here).

Eyed things up then did a quick drawing -

Drew things up and cut them on the laser

The some cutting/linishing to fit the top motor mount shape

TIG welded into place and some metal finishing work its come out perfect.

In other news, my risers are nearing completion so ill do a post on those soon, lots of work in em and something ive never seen before which is cool. My rear fender is nearly finished (made from scratch), and ive nearly got my gas tanks mods all done....things are motoring along

Should have some more posts soon once i get to roll it outside for the first time which im amped about.
Old 07-15-2019, 09:16 AM   #40
misfitJason

Rad thread man! Bike is looking bitchin