Dan Haggarty passed away - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 01-15-2016, 01:35 PM   #1
VonWegener

Default Dan Haggarty passed away

Dan Haggarty lost his battle with cancer. Most know him from his title role in Grizzly Adams but us in the bike community know him as bike builder, stunt rider and custom shop owner.
Haggarty who had a minor role in Easy Rider as one of the seed throwing hippies in the commune scenes also worked on the movie taking care of the bikes.
Although the hero bikes were reportedly stolen Haggarty secured the crash bike and restored it. That bike went through different hands and eventually sold for 1.3 Mil at auction. Unfortunately that sale did not go through when it was discovered that Dan had sold 2 or maybe more "authentic Easy Rider crash bikes". It doesn't really matter - to me at least.
During the early 1970s Choppers boomed in Los Angeles and Haggarty had a shop in the North San Fernando Valley where he built bikes in between Hollywood gigs.
He was a larger than life personality and looked like the prototype biker.
Godspeed Dan!

Last edited by VonWegener; 01-15-2016 at 02:34 PM.
VonWegener is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-15-2016, 01:48 PM   #2
CarlLaFong

Default Re: Dan Haggarty passed away

I was at Haggerty's shop, I believe it was on San Fernando Rd, near Tuxford, in, what must have been 1969. The bike was in the shop. I thought it was the coolest thing that I'd ever seen. He said that it was used in a movie. I think he must have rebuilt the crash bike between the actual crash and the release of the movie. Anyway, he was very gracious and humble. He never mentioned being in the film or hobnobbing with Peter Fonda. He even let me sit on the bike. My big claim to fame
RIP DAn
CarlLaFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2016, 10:26 PM   #3
whittiger650

Cool Re: Dan Haggarty passed away

Wow, RIP Dan.

He was on American Pickers a little while back and I think they bought or wanted to buy the painting of Dan on that Shovelhead chopper. Regardless, cool episode. I do remember watching Grizzly Adams as a kid in the '70's and can clearly see him in Easyrider. Rest easy Dan.

"
And now you do what they told ya"
whittiger650 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-16-2016, 01:37 PM   #4
Englishman

Quote:
Originally Posted by VonWegener View Post
Although the hero bikes were reportedly stolen Haggarty secured the crash bike and restored it. That bike went through different hands and eventually sold for 1.3 Mil at auction. Unfortunately that sale did not go through when it was discovered that Dan had sold 2 or maybe more "authentic Easy Rider crash bikes". It doesn't really matter - to me at least.
I'm interested why it doesn't matter that he sold three 'authenticated' replicas as the real thing. Fonda said there was pretty much nothing left of the crashed bike... although who can believe him, either. Is being a 'cool guy' enough to offset criminal behavior?
Old 01-16-2016, 01:52 PM   #5
richbob

Umm define Criminal.
Fraud/deception etc... theres one born every minute, where are the replicas?

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 02:07 PM   #6
Englishman

Well, I'd say admitting the fraud would be a start.
http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...017-story.html
Old 01-16-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
VonWegener

When he built the Easy Rider bikes they weren't worth much and only of sentimental value to some in the bike community. He could not envision that such a bike would be worth real money in today's overblown rich guy world.
If I wanted an easy rider bike and Dan sold me one with a good story I would have been happy in 1975 and enjoying every moment of it.
Carl LaFong sat on the crash bike in 1969 so I guess that would eliminate the concerns of nothing left. Plus we all seen the bike fly through the air with the fork apart and a few flames. Do you think they would let something burn to the ground on a movie set?

Show some damn respect for a dead guy.

Old 01-16-2016, 03:12 PM   #8
Englishman

Would you have been happy if you were the guy who paid 1.3 million at the auction in 2014 before finding out it was all a crock? I know Gordon Granger wasn't happy when Haggerty told him he lied about his bike being authentic. The auction was eventually voided, there had to be pending legal action with it.

I don't believe people earn respect just by dying.
Old 01-16-2016, 03:32 PM   #9
VonWegener

Frankly I don't care if a guy who can afford to buy a 1.3 million motorcycle at auction is happy or not. He would have gotten a pretty nice motorcycle to display in his 53rd floor penthouse bragging about it to his wealthy buddies. Or wherever that guy lives or who his friends are.
Haggarty got lured or decided himself to make an ethical mistake and 40 years later it spirals into this crapfest. To me it is all about perceived value. In the end it's just a frame, forks, wheels and other assorted parts.
Maybe Karma killed Haggarty with cancer for his digressions. I certainly do not judge him for that. After all there is a restored crash bike out there that would have been just bike parts without him.

Old 01-16-2016, 04:38 PM   #10
vtwinmotors

Well it is sad when anyone passes away. But it does happen. If he built those bikes and was good with his choice of working on how or if they were the real thing that is his choice. But as a person who has been in the business for many years watching the ups and downs of bike building. I am sure for right money that bike could be built again and again. Rest in piece Dan you will be missed by your true friends and family..
vtwinmotors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:18 PM   #11
crazy b

damn, 2016 is quickly turning into celeb death year.
crazy b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 11:43 PM   #12
Dave B

I was unaware of his motorcycle connections until reading here. Seems like the American Pickers episode was just yesterday. Godspeed Dan.
Dave B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 04:33 AM   #13
Desert

I am 44 and watched grizzly Adams as a kid. Had no idea he was a biker unti dead in 5 heartbeats
Desert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 10:14 AM   #14
little d

I was surprised one night when a friend of mine and I walked into a local bar in my home town in Missouri and Dan Harggarty was there at the bar.

We didn't want to bother the guy, thinking he just wanted to have a few drinks in peace so, we both just nodded at him and sat down to our drinks. It wasn't long until the bartender brought us a coupla beers, telling us that Dan had bought them. We both got up and went over to thank him and he invited us to join him so we sat down.

I remembered him from the Grizzly Adams show but didn't know he was into bikes until the conversation turned to the subject (we both rode in and I guess he heard us ride up).

To make a long story shorter, it was a nice night shooting the shit and swapping story's, he was a down to earth genuinely nice guy.

Anyways, it is a damn shame to hear he was involved in that shit and a bigger shame to hear he lost his battle with Cancer, that shit sucks but, I hope he is in a better place now.
Old 01-17-2016, 06:40 PM   #15
old.wrench

To Haggarty's credit, he admitted he lied about the authenticity of the bikes.
From what I've seen and experienced in my life, most people are very big on "justice", as long as the "justice" is coming down on the other guy's head. I don't know about you all, but when it comes to our own transgressions and we are the one wearing the jacket, it seems we become big fans of mercy, not justice .
Let the poor s.o.b. rest in peace.

Does anybody want to buy the "real" Captain America bike?
I can get you the real good one with Peter Fonda's AND Dennis Hopper's signature on it!

Geo.

"hony swacky mally asbestos"

Last edited by old.wrench; 01-17-2016 at 06:42 PM. Reason: tried to get the spelling right
old.wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 06:59 PM   #16
CarlLaFong

Quote:
Originally Posted by old.wrench View Post

Does anybody want to buy the "real" Captain America bike?
I can get you the real good one with Peter Fonda's AND Dennis Hopper's signature on it!

Geo.
BS!!!
I have the real bike in my shop, behind all of my Crockers and Lawrence's Brough
CarlLaFong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 07:16 PM   #17
VonWegener

The nicest replica I have ever seen was at a Ventura, CA swapmeet. It was done by a Hollywood cameraman who had built one as a young guy that was very good and built subsequently better examples. The one he displayed was the 5th attempt and it was just marvelous. Full on OCD, 1000s of hours watching the footage with the bikes, blowing up stills, talking to industry folks he included features like small dents and minute details.
I forgot his name but he was from Sierra Madre, CA and hung out with Mil Blair of D&D Choppers fame and Joe Teresi of Easyriders.
That would be the bike to own.

Old 01-17-2016, 08:43 PM   #18
mrpoizun

Quote:
Haggarty got lured or decided himself to make an ethical mistake and 40 years later it spirals into this crapfest.
40 years later? The last one he tried to sell was just a year or so ago.
But I imagine he needed money bad.
One of the most interesting things about that bike was Fonda's recollection of riding it at 20mph all day for the cameras. It's in the extras of the Easyrider DVD. All he wanted at the end of the day was a tall, cold one and when he got it, his shoulders were so sore he couldn't lift it to his lips!
mrpoizun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:03 PM   #19
VonWegener

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrpoizun View Post
40 years later? The last one he tried to sell was just a year or so ago.
A year ago is when a Mr. Eisenberg tried to sell a Captain America at auction. The L.A. Times said this:

Eisenberg bought the bike in early 2014 from John Parham, a Midwestern motorcycle parts magnate who had purchased the bike from Haggerty 12 years earlier.

And the other Captain America sale apparently happened in 1996 to a Mr. Granger.

"Haggerty sold the first bike to Gordon Granger, of Texas, in 1996. Granger said he paid $63,500 for his version of Captain America authenticated by Haggerty, in person at the sale, and then again in 2005 with a signed certificate."

Now I remember a story on the news where an Austin car collection caught fire and the only thing untouched was an original Captain America bike. It was even on TV if I remember right. Which one was that? Or was that a copy?

I'm just glad that the real Easy Rider hero bike is safe with Carl....

Old 01-18-2016, 12:04 AM   #20
lilbill

Quote:
Do you think they would let something burn to the ground on a movie set?
that scene was filmed on the side of a road in Louisiana . i'm going there in the spring :-)