Sharpening drill bits - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 12-12-2015, 08:54 AM   #21
Sporticus

Default Re: Sharpening drill bits

How do you shorten the drill bit without heating it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lester View Post
then you are doing something wrong, watch the info video on YouTube and give it another go.

If you burn your drill bit blue boring a hole, the drill doctor will not cure that. You can hack off an inch or so of the toasted drill bit end and give it a new point in the drill doc and your good.
If you are frying your drill bits blue you are using them beyond dull, also slow down on spindle speed and use cutting oil.
Drill bits are supposed to cut a hole not burn one.

Lester
Sporticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-12-2015, 03:44 PM   #22
old.wrench

Lester,

I hear you about dull drill bits and files.
I use files too, . . . a lot!

You might know about this, but for the guys who don't, here's an old trick for getting a second life for your dull files.

First thing is to clean up the old file by giving it a good scrub with a wire hand brush. Brush it real good in line with the cutting teeth and grooves. Then give it a scrub with a good de-greaser cleaner like Simple Green followed up by a good rinsing in clear water.

Then find a glass container like a shallow baking pan, or a plastic tray, something where you can lay your files down flat in. Pour enough muriatic acid over the files to completely submerge them.
The muriatic acid will eat away at the steel including the rolled over, dulled edges. It helps to turn the files over from time to time while in the bath.

The amount of soak time you need to to achieve a chemically sharpened edge will vary depending on how beat up the file is and how warm the acid bath is. Warm acid works much faster than cool or cold acid.
After soaking in the acid long enough to expose an edge, you'll then need to neutralize the acid by a thorough rinsing in clear water or a base solution like water with baking soda dissolved in it. Then dry them off and apply some light oil or WD-40 to help prevent rust.

Obviously, this is an outdoor project and you don't want to breathe any of the fumes or come in contact with the acid. You don't want anybody else or any animals exposed to it either.

This method of chemical sharpening actually works pretty good. It won't restore a file to "brand new", but it will give a second life to your old dull files.
Like I said, I use files a lot, and I've got some that have specialized cutting patterns that I've paid over $20 bucks for each, and it's hard to just shit-can them when they get dull even though I've taken good care of them. Treating your files good and not throwing them around will help them stay sharp too .

Geo.

"hony swacky mally asbestos"

old.wrench is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 04:00 PM   #23
Lester

Hey Old Wrench,
Good one, I have to give that trick a go.... Its sort ig like chemically sharpend fishing hooks.

Thanks
Lester
'72 Triumph Bonneville Nothing special
'80's couple of Jap chops too
Lester is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-12-2015, 04:04 PM   #24
Lester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporticus View Post
How do you shorten the drill bit without heating it up?
An angle grinder with a cutting disk will do, cut a little at a time and quench in water in between.... No problem

Lester
Old 12-13-2015, 09:46 AM   #25
lilbill

i'm no expert but an old machinest gave me a short lesson on drill sharpening way back when and apparently, depending on what metal is being drilled , different angles and/or profiles are used. i remember for drilling brass you need to back cut the leading edge so it's less like a knife edge and more of a chisel edge so the bit scrapes instead of cuts. there was more but that's the one that's stuck with me and bit speed is very important to what you're drilling.
Old 12-13-2015, 11:00 PM   #26
waltmcq

losing another art because of a machine.

I've thought about getting one, I guess I'm just cheap enough not to give up on doing it by hand.
waltmcq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 07:57 AM   #27
Mike Britton

Keep it up, if the mods are OK with it! I'm learning a ton here!
Most of my drill bits would make better punches, and after pricing many of the bigger ones a machine is starting to look like a good investment.
But this thread is teaching me things no one has yet, like bit speed making a difference.
Mods, and the original poster, maybe we could morph this into a tech synopsis on drill bits and their care.
I know as for myself..."I know nothing!"
Old 12-14-2015, 08:22 AM   #28
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltmcq View Post

I've thought about getting one, I guess I'm just cheap enough not to give up on doing it by hand.
It's OK. I can do it by hand and understand the point geometry. However, using a machine to do it just makes it more efficient. I can do math functions on paper, but I use a calculator instead. Sort of the same thing. I don't have a Drill Doctor, but there's one in my future.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2015, 09:24 AM   #29
richbob

I will not be buying the machine.
Even though i love to drill hole.

"Ultimately were all dead men"(Oliver Reed.Gladiator)
richbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 02:49 PM   #30
USA Tires Sign Joe

Good info thanks!
USA Tires Sign Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #31
hardrock785

from what i understand you can sand blast against the grain and itl sharpen them.
hardrock785 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 08:34 PM   #32
WhizzbangK.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltmcq View Post

Proper drill sharpening has never been done by hand. Since the invention of twist drills machines have existed to sharpen them accurately. These machines were very expensive and complicated, so they were not common in the field, and folks learned to sort of get by in a pinch with hand sharpening on a grinder. Any time that proper holes really mattered though, the dull bits were sent to someone who had the machinery and knew how to use it for sharpening.

I'll say it again, hand sharpening is not and never has been the proper way to do it.
WhizzbangK.C. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 10:33 AM   #33
Dan Boy

Even at my age, there is always something to learn. I have been shown how to sharpen drill bits on a grinder. It takes a while to get the hang of it but I do have success even on bigger drill bits. Some guys where I work can sharpen a drill bit so good that it just cuts through steel with ease even through 17-4 but you have to take it slower for that stuff.

https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic21807_5.gif

Blown Triple Build
Dan Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 11:04 AM   #34
geezer

Over time I've learned how to do simple points by hand but prefer a drill sharpener any day. I've learned to use a rotary head and surface grinder to make specialized cutting tools for oddball jobs but again gimme a factory sharp end mill anyday.
Old 12-27-2015, 05:43 PM   #35
Johanr

I just buy a new box at the lidle , for 1 to 12 mm incl half mm so 20 drilbits for 6 and the best part is that they are great for drilling in stainless
Johanr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 05:56 PM   #36
CookieMonster

Cue onslaught of disparaging comments about shit quality drill bits. If I may be so bold as to pre-empt this: I have two varieties of drill bits, cheap for pilot holes / rough work, expensive for accurate work. I've actually seen really poor quality bits unwind themselves, under duress...
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #37
Lester

Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieMonster View Post
Cue onslaught of disparaging comments about shit quality drill bits. If I may be so bold as to pre-empt this: I have two varieties of drill bits, cheap for pilot holes / rough work, expensive for accurate work. I've actually seen really poor quality bits unwind themselves, under duress...
Ditto, got my E-bay ones and the I hace the high quality expencive ones I use mostly in the tooling machines. My drill bit box increments every 0.1mm.

Lester
Old 12-28-2015, 05:51 PM   #38
RidingHood

I disagree about off hand grinding of drill bits "not being Proper " so to speak, it is a skill ,and you must use a gauge to make sure your angles and lengths are correct on the cutting edges , but as an apprentice it was an important part of our training . Accurate holes are often reamed to size.
Drill Doctors are a great tool ,make sure they are secured to the bench as our work one was dropped and never sharpened a drill accurately ever again.
Cheers R
RidingHood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2015, 08:48 PM   #39
snatchleeka

I don't know if this is common knowledge . an old hot rodder, welder, author, builder etc, told me when I took his class, the perfect angle for a drill bits tip is 59 degrees. take 2 large hex nuts and weld them together on 2 flat sides. you are left with a 60 degree angle to check your bits for proper sharpness
snatchleeka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2015, 12:45 AM   #40
geezer

Or you could just purchase a drill point gauge.