silly question about the trap - Page 2 - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 03-06-2015, 02:50 AM   #21
Samhain

Default Re: silly question about the trap

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobAsh View Post
Run a used motor without inspecting it? Maybe it's my drag race experience but I don't see the big deal on breaking a motor down for inspection and putting it back together in an afternoon.
'
though I never seem to pull anything off that efficiently, it always sounds reasonable.
Samhain is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-06-2015, 07:47 AM   #22
Rob Axel

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobAsh View Post
Run a used motor without inspecting it? Maybe it's my drag race experience but I don't see the big deal on breaking a motor down for inspection and putting it back together in an afternoon.
This was basically what I was trying to say....If your tear into a motor, inspect, and all is well, it does not always require a rebuild..... but since your there and no info on the trap, pull the plug, inspect, and clean it....
2 things will occur, 1, you will learn the inner workings of this motor and what may need to be replaced. 2, wont need to "guess" about the trap because you will "know".
I have recently acquired a 56 preunit. external inspection showed it had fallen on a rockerbox, causing it to dent and crack....The motor turns free, good #s on a leak down test... I would be a moron to just toss it into a frame, and run it without tearing it down, cleaning, inspecting, replacing worn parts, and yes CLEAN THE TRAP....
BUT, if the prior owner could produce proof that all this was recently done....I would have not issues in running it ....after inspecting the topend from the drop...

Last edited by Rob Axel; 03-06-2015 at 08:00 AM.
Rob Axel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 10:10 AM   #23
reverb

...I previously mentioned, like most of you that if the motor is on the bench is mandatory to dismantle and re do; but if the bike is running, is a pain in the arse tear appart all the bike and then the motor to rebuild; you know is stupid tear only the motor, if it s out, you should paint the frame, etc; that s not 1 day...more if you have a work and a life and the possibilities to do all are not in the same town.

And if you all are paranoid about the trap condition; would be no older bike running anywhere...

Im not saying that I would not clean the trap; Im seeing all the posibilities before to do that; cause here is so difficult to do the things due to there s no one to trust to do the thing so you need to do all, hence the time and money (buy things from US or UK then sent here cost 3 times more than buy locally like you guys)
Im riding my 48 but have some oil issues that are incrementing, then I m putting together a 79 so in the meantime I want to buy the only T120 in this country and ride couple of months before I would have enough time to tear it down.
reverb is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 03-06-2015, 11:32 AM   #24
image1

i would 100% tear it down and check.

been down this road personally.

First triumph i ever bought, i tried taking this gamble (not knowing shit about them at the time, or even the existence of a sludge trap...) It ran great, oil returned, decent oil pressure, no smoking.... 20 miles later, bam! rod through the case, busted cylinder, tore up cam. fucked.

just saying...

Random Chopper Goodness at the link below....
http://r4yl.blogspot.com/
image1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 08:57 PM   #25
BobAsh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samhain View Post
'
though I never seem to pull anything off that efficiently, it always sounds reasonable.
Well, for sure you could do it over the course of a weekend. And as mentioned, if you start to add jobs like frame touch-up then the thing starts to snowball out of control.
BobAsh is offline   Reply With Quote