Jockey Journal Forum banner

image1 down

9K views 59 replies 45 participants last post by  Dutch Dennoz 
#1 ·
Joel (image1) has been involved in a motorcycle accident.

I have next to no details, but it's looking very bad. I'll try to update as I find out more.

#4 ·
Information coming in is still a little scrambled, but I have received word that Joel died very early this morning. I do not know much about the accident. Joel was a very good friend, so please forgive me if I wax a little long.

Many of you who do the choppy-bike thing ran into Joel at some point or another. Joel loved old bikes and he loved to ride, which isn't particularly different than a lot of the members here. Joel was special. He was generous and mellow; exactly the kind of guy you want to meet.

Joel built bikes and he painted. He was so talented at both. He was the most artistic person I think I've ever met, and the bikes he built always reflected that. His mind just worked differently. Joel could always make things aesthetically pleasing, even with just the most minor tweaks.

Run For Your Life, the run Joel organized, hosted, and led each year, was always a fantastic adventure with lots of miles. Joel poured his heart into that run. I think he probably lost his ass on it financially every year, but he loved it and so did we. Joel was R4YL, and R4YL was Joel. The two were inseperable.

Joel was a phenomenal rider. He had a big slug of God-given talent which he augmented with a lot of practice - he loved to ride.

Those who spent any time with him will recall that Joel never seemed to have a cross word to say about anyone. It's not just us who will be worse off without him; the whole world lost a really kind human.

I'm going to miss him so much. Godspeed, Joel.

#10 ·
Wow.... Liam Im so sorry. I never met him personally he always treated me as a friend. I joked about coming out to R4yl as a surprise... and in reality I meant it. I wanted to meet Joel and all the guys we talked about. Rest or rather ride in peace my friend.

#17 ·
Very sorry to hear this, condolences to you and Joel’s family. It seems like he lived life to its fullest, it would have been great to meet him. On the few occasions I had interactions with him here he was a super nice guy, always willing to pass on his knowledge. His painting skills were unreal, and one of the few bike builders who’s work I would look at, and wouldn’t change a thing. So sad.

#18 ·
Really really awful news. From seeing his posts on here he was always super helpful and the R4YL stuff looked super cool. It's always hard losing anybody but to lose somebody who had a lot of living and giving left in the tank makes it all the more bitter.

RIP, condolences to his friends and family, and of course you Liam.

#26 ·
That's a shame...

I never met him but had some discussions with him when he was building the Jart and during the first year of it being on the road.
I expected him to be a little stand offish because I am definitely below his level in fabrication. That wasn't the case. He took time to explain some things to me that many would not have.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.