Jockey Journal Forum banner

Shovelhead Build Australia

13K views 50 replies 16 participants last post by  KELD 
#1 ·
Hi guys been gathering the required parts to start a new build. Will be hard tailing the frame using a fab Kevin kit, ratchet lid kick only, open chain primary and a few other nice pits. Updates to come!

Attachments

See less See more
#6 ·
Luckily in south Oz you can let the rego lapse and just go in whenever an pay rego 3 months at a time.. no road worthy certificate needed! Way better than the shit I had to go through in Vic.

#12 ·
Hi Guys, looking at getting some insight into rims. I am looking at going with an 18'' rear 21'' front. Im thinking at this stage of using a lowbrow customs mini spool hub for the front laced to one of their 21s. My question is where is the best place to source an 18'' 40 spoke rear? I only want to run a 130 or 140mm rear tyre with a sprotor. Cheers Trev

#16 ·
JTR in Queensland supply Akront/Morad rims.

I don't think I'd use a sprotor. Especially as the only brake.
The same thought popped into my head, the recommendation isn't about style it's about safety. May not be the best to have an oily chain running millimeters from your lone breaking surface. And I've heard mixed reviews about their breaking power irregardless of the chain. Have never heard they stop great, either just okay or sucks. Anybody have any personal experience with a sprotor that can give him good advice before he builds a death trap?

#15 ·
Cheers. Will be using a sprotor because id like to try one. Best thing about building a bike is you can build it the way you like, be a bit boring if we all build the same shit.

#17 ·
they work as good as a banana caliper rotor with WD 40 sprayed on it

if you live in a location that allows a 1/8 mile to stop and no cross streets YOUR good to go

take advise on brakes is not going with the flow

#20 ·
Oh GOD no!

That's almost as dangerous as using offset degree rake making neck cups.

Please for your children's sake, don't use a sproter sprocket thing. They don't work worth a shit. Crappy, aerated hydraulic drums that have to be pumped, work better.

I've done a few at protest and none stop well. I can't imagine having them be the only brake.

It would be like having a chopper stopper mini drum be the primary brake. Hell even stock Fl mechanical front drums work better.

I'm gonna have nightmares now, thanks.

#21 ·
Fair call guys. I have a few vintage/veteran bikes with no front brakes and rears that don't work and they're capable of doing the speed limit. Minimalism is where it's at for me and im willing to give a sprotor a try instead of reading someone's opinion who read it somewhere else that they are shit. If I'm not happy with it I'll change it.

#22 ·
You are absolutely right. You are grown ass man and have every right to make your own decisions. We have no right to tell you what to do with YOUR motorcycle.

I'm sure you are right about some keyboard commandos who don't know with experience about this product, but spout off like they are an authority on the subject. In the same light, there are actual builders, versed in engineering and have years and years of wrenching combined with lots of do's and don'ts learned from experience. The message is from both camps is clear.

Trust it's out of respect and care that we don't want you to be selfunmadetrev.

#23 ·
Ha that's pretty funny mate good job. Must be my first time around the block with a motorcycle. I guess all the big time builders you see build a suicide shift chopper with no front brake and a sprotor don't know what they are doing eitherde. I've done a search here and seen lots of positive stuff as well so who do you believe? Or do you just have a go and make your own mind ueep?

#24 ·
Honestly, I'm not wise enough and still young enough and pigheaded enough to NEED to find out for myself. I learn the hard way.

If we all did it the same and listened to everyone the first time, life would be safe and boring.

#25 ·
At least do a build thread so we can watch. We love to see a bike come together and learn. Fuck, you sound like you may be stubborn enough to make one of the things work. Would love to see that, seriously.

#26 ·
I vote go for it. Sometimes we have to pee on the electric fence ourselves. It's really where the coolest stories come from, and I'm with JAWS. Document it here! I'll be watching, and interested :)

#27 ·
Yeah Ill have a go at it, what's the worst that can happen.. :D
Just waiting on my frame kit from Fab Kevin, super keen to see his stuff personally I have heard a lot of good things but don't get to see much here in Australia.

Need to speak again with Rick from RKB Kustom Speed RE a chain drive kit, I love his work so super detailed it will be an honour to have something of his on my bike.

#28 ·
Go for it mate - look into the sprotor options I know there is a few - I bought one off Flyrite once ( I think) but bike was sold prior to me riding it so cant comment on its performance etc

It suited the build as it as a low sporty based project but if I was going more traditional route I'd be picking up a juice set up

As the others have said please do a build thread

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.