68 Shovelhead frame, front end, oil tank, tanks, misc parts - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > The Jockey Journal Marketplace > The Swap Meet > Parts For Sale

Old 11-04-2020, 06:44 PM   #1
spinedoc

Default 68 Shovelhead frame, front end, oil tank, tanks, misc parts

City: Erie
State: PA
Price: 2500 obo

Hello,

I have some parts for the start of your next project!

The frame was mfg in 1970, not 1968, a I erroneously put in the thread title. I also included pics of the numbers by the swingarm, as well as the swingarm numbers. It is uncut and has all tabs.

Motor mount: OH
Frame casting:47651-58 16

Also included is a front end, set of tanks, an oil tank, and some pedals, chainguard, distributor, etc. What you see is what you get.

Best way to contact me is to call/text at 814.392.7117 or email at [email protected]

2500.00 OBO

Last edited by spinedoc; 11-10-2020 at 07:27 AM.
spinedoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-09-2020, 09:38 PM   #2
Speeding Big Twin

Default Re: 68 Shovelhead frame, front end, oil tank, tanks, misc parts

Re the date code, the first character is 0 (zero) and indicates the year. The letter indicates the month: A thru L indicated Jan thru Dec. (The letter I was not skipped in frame date codes.)

In this instance, 0H indicates the frame was made in 1970 in August and may have been used for a 1971 model machine. Looks like there is a VIN boss on the R-H side of the steering head. Is anything stamped on that boss? If not, is there any sign that something was removed?

Just out of curiosity, and with no offence meant, what made you think the letter H indicated 1968?

Forging number 47651-58 was used for 1958–early-73. I’m not sure what 16 represents but the earliest example I have is from Dec 69.

Outside the lower left forging you may find 47654 65. However, for reasons unknown to me it wasn’t first used for 1965 models; instead it first appeared about mid-70 and it then remained in use thru early-73.

Inside the left axle clip is forging number 47614-58A which was used for 1963 thru about 1967. Hallmark A is sometimes referred to as ‘A in a jar’ and it indicates the clip was made by AmForge. Die number 8 suggests approximately 1965. Outside the left clip you may find a run number. Can you tell us what it is please.

Notice the R-H clip forging number is 47606•58 (with dot) as opposed to 47606-58 (with hyphen or dash) but I haven’t finished sorting those differences out as far as years go. Anyway, that forging number was used for 1959–65 Pans and 1966–72 Shovels. And also for most, but maybe not all, 58 Pans. (Some 58 production Pans may have had the experimental swingarm which was used on the 58 prototype Pan although I cannot be certain. These had ‘EX’ forging numbers on both clips.)
Also looks like part of a die number is visible? What is it?
Eric
Speeding Big Twin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2020, 07:25 AM   #3
spinedoc

Eric,

Thank you for the great insight and help with ID'ing the parts. I was told that the H on the motor mount meant 68 because it was the 8th letter of the alphabet.

I'll check the steering boss for an ID number as well as the left clip number and get back to you.

Thank you again.

Eric

Old 12-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #4
emek69

Send a message via Skype™ to emek69

Hey, If you looking to separate I would be interested in the set of the gas tanks for my 1972 FX Superglide. Let me know.
emek69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2020, 06:14 PM   #5
spinedoc

Hello,

The tanks, brake backing plate and front end are gone. Still have other items though.

Thank you,

Eric