Jockey Journal Forum banner

Opinions on cam choice for Twincam

17K views 21 replies 13 participants last post by  misfitJason 
#1 ·
for starters the bike is a 06 dyna efi with the hydraulic tensioners and six speed trans. Satge 1 kit (ac, and pipes) fuelpak, 25mm injectors. I am changing out the cam roller bearings and putting in a baisley hi-flow oil pump spring. I figure that I should do cams while in there. I am not doing headwork or anything else right now to the bike. Stockish is dependable right. Dependable fun is key here. I have been looking at a couple of cams that don't require a change in valve springs or crazy lift. Andrews 26h, Screamin Eagle 204, S&S 583ce easy start cams. I have found decent prices for the s&s one that put the cams bearings and install kit with gasket right at 284.99. Any opinions would be helpful or suggestions. Thanks

#3 ·
Well, its been close to ten years since I've done much with the Twincams, when they first came out we were doing a lot of experimenting with them, but anyhow back then in a light bike like a Dyna I had good results with Andrews TW 50 cams and a compression bump when sticking with the stock heads. That combination made for a suprisingly impressive performance increase for not much money, especially considering no headwork. That combination would put you in the low to mid 12 second range in the 1/4 mile, but still run real nice all day long on the highway. I wouldn't go that route with a heavier touring model, but on the Dynas it worked real good. Like I said, its been a while since I've done much with Twincams but I think Andrews still make the TW 50's. Just throwing out an idea for you.

Regards,
Geo.

#4 ·
woods is the way to go..the555 or 777 make really good power with head work and a good fuel map, but if you really think your not gonna go farther later you might be suprised with the andrews 26 or 37 depends on how you ride, of course this could turn into a real nasty o/t thread real fast so ill put it like this: the bagger customers with big heavy turds that dont ever want to go 100 love the tw26s they run really good. i just did one with a good tune that made 80 foot-lbs at like 3500rpm 96ers with headwork wil make 95 foot lbs early,really good spread up to 5000 rpm. if you want a little more rpm and a lighter bike like the dyna the 37s make a little more power and rev out more. again the woods i think are king but thyre pricy for most people andi think you really need the compression and head work to take advantage of them. i just did a 107 with woods 555 cnc heads and p/c 5 it made 121 ft-lbs but it was 2500 in parts..you could jamb an andrews in there with pushrods for around 400 bux and get a lot of bang. just my 2 cents.

#5 ·
I looked at the woods and I was shocked how much those cams go for. I liked the s&s and it shows that the powerband is from 2000-4500 which is primarily where I stay. I just street the bike. Not looking for absolutely max power. I also like the built in compression release function on the 583ce cams for down the road if a big bore kit comes to mind. I already picked up a set of screamin eagle adjustable pushrods for a score. I assume I could use these pushrods for pretty much any cam unless it has really high lift.

#8 ·
People usually think that bigger is better/faster. Earlier this year we did a '99 Dyna, so if you're just looking for more push from your butt dyno w/no headwork, I'd suggest Andrews 21's. "Lame" specs/numbers I know BUT, the fun factor is from idle to 80. FWIW, any cam realistically "works" for only a 3-3500 RPM band. TK.

#9 ·
Now I run an 04 ultra, before I did the head work I ran a SE204, waste of money imo, I did the SE255 with the v/h fuel pack, exh & ac like buying a new bike, then did the big bore & heads, turns 100/112 hp/torq I open eyes when my geeezzzer glide runs the front wheel otg for 200' . I cant speak for a dyna, but good torq & steady pull through 6000rpm's

#15 ·
For the rpm range you want, I'd go with Andrews' TW21. People who have it love it and it's easy on the valvetrain and the fuel mileage. That S&S 583 has some crazy specs- 203 duration on the intake and 262 on the exhaust! Hard to believe a bike with that cam would run worth a damn. I assume that's S&S' version of an EPA cam.

#20 ·
for starters the bike is a 06 dyna efi with the hydraulic tensioners and six speed trans. Satge 1 kit (ac, and pipes) fuelpak, 25mm injectors. I am changing out the cam roller bearings and putting in a baisley hi-flow oil pump spring. I figure that I should do cams while in there. I am not doing headwork or anything else right now to the bike. Stockish is dependable right. Dependable fun is key here. I have been looking at a couple of cams that don't require a change in valve springs or crazy lift. Andrews 26h, Screamin Eagle 204, S&S 583ce easy start cams. I have found decent prices for the s&s one that put the cams bearings and install kit with gasket right at 284.99. Any opinions would be helpful or suggestions. Thanks
I would go with S&S 510 cams if your not doing head work, they work good in small motors with stock heads, also you don't need easy start cams with stock heads, so you can save some money by useing the standard S&S cams.

#22 ·
Well I finally picked all my parts. I ended up going with 203 cams, screamin eagle adjustable pushrods, better cam bearings, baisley spring, se clutch spring, comp cams 850 lifters, and 95 inch bore cylinders and pistons. Now I just need to get all the stuff in there

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.