Wheel bearing spacer sizing - The Jockey Journal Board

Go Back   The Jockey Journal Board > General Discussion > The Board

Old 05-27-2008, 10:18 PM   #1
Troy Fab

Default Wheel bearing spacer sizing

I dropped a set of wheels off to have some new skins put on. The guy who does this for me owns a wheel building business. I asked him how he sizes the spacer between sealed bearings. I told him I press the 1st one in till it bottoms and then flip the wheel over and proceed to spend an hour or so with depth gauges, verniers, paralells, calculaters and anything else I can find around the shop to get a percision measurement, until I get the same measurement over and over. I then make the spacer .001 over that measurement. I then press in till it it seated.
He said he seats the 1st bearing like I do and then measures with verniers in about 1 minute and makes it .010 over, he then presses it in till he feels it start to hit, takes out the press tool and feels with his finger for sloppyness between the bearings. He goes until it is just tight enough to hold it in place.
He said the second bearing never seats all the way.

Thought I would throw this out to the board for what it is worth.
Sounds like I might be being a little to anal.
Steve
Troy Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2008, 08:34 AM   #2
Troy Fab

Default Re: Wheel bearing spacer sizing

I posted this late last night, I am looking for feedback on techniques used by other JJ members? or feedback?
Troy Fab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 09:20 AM   #3
bobscogin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troy Fab View Post
I posted this late last night, I am looking for feedback on techniques used by other JJ members? or feedback?
Not a lot more to say about it. The inner race of the bearing should seat against the spacer before it bottoms in the bearing bore. The .010" dimension that your guy uses, and measuring technique, sounds reasonable if done accurately.

Bob
bobscogin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 12-19-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
vorhese

I was about to ask a similar question so I'll ask in here.

Just talked to a ol timer wheel guy who says you should error on longer than shorter for the spacer. The 2nd bearing won't be 100% seated.

My question is I made an inner bearing spacer 2mm too short. Is there any reason I couldn't slip a washer on the spacer to get 2mm longer?
Old 12-19-2010, 11:48 AM   #5
Larry T

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorhese View Post

Just talked to a ol timer wheel guy who says you should error on longer than shorter for the spacer. The 2nd bearing won't be 100% seated.

My question is I made an inner bearing spacer 2mm too short. Is there any reason I couldn't slip a washer on the spacer to get 2mm longer?
I'm assuming all of these posts are about 1 piece sealed bearings?

For tapered two piece bearings, I always set them up and check the end play and then shorten the spacer until I get it right.

On the sealed bearings couldn't you seat both bearings, check the outside to outside measurement (easier to get accurate than trying id/id) subtract the total bearing width, add the clearance and cut a spacer?

It sure would be easier trying to stab an axle through one long spacer than one long spacer and a shim.
Larry T

My old Panhead build: https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/s...ead.php?t=9455

Occasionally updated Knucklehead project: https://www.jockeyjournal.com/forum/a...p?albumid=3625
Larry T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2010, 12:43 PM   #6
mikeyfrombc

i make bearing spacers to the exact size needed , what good is a bearing that is not properly seated in it,s bore ??? a depth mic is the best tool IMO
Old 12-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #7
Lucky59

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorhese View Post

https://www.allballsracing.com/media...ng_Install.pdf

There is no reason it won't work as well as the correct length one piece spacer as long as it's even thickness/flat! Remember to add enough so the second bearing doesn't fully seat 0.010. - 0.015
EdiT: Whatever clearance you allow, 0.010" etc with the longer spacer, you will loose some of it when tightening the axle and even more when the hub expands, mostly from brake heat.

Last edited by Lucky59; 12-19-2010 at 02:03 PM.
Lucky59 is offline   Reply With Quote